Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS

35 93414 Aug 3, 2022
35f2is

The EF 35mm f/2.0 IS USM Standard Prime Lens from Canon adds hybrid Image Stabilization (IS) to a rear focusing system and ring-type Ultra Sonic Motor (USM) for not only quick and quiet autofocus, but steadier shots in low-light conditions. Optimized lens coatings help ensure exceptional color balance while minimizing ghosting, and full-time access to manual focus is provided while in autofocus (AF) mode allowing you to quickly switch between the two as you need them.

Aperture Range: f/2.0-22
4-stop Image Stabilization (IS)
Glass Molded Aspherical Element (GMo)
Rear Focusing & Ultra Sonic Motor (USM)
Full-Time Manual Focus in AF Mode
Minimum Focusing Distance: 9.48"
Ring USM Low-Speed Drive for Video
Eight Circular Aperture Blades

allanpetter

Registered: Aug 3, 2022
Review Date: Aug 3, 2022 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Cheap, sharp, light, compact.
Cons:
Not an L lens. Slightly noisy.

Let's be honest. This is a budget lens. We all want high end gear but usually have to settle for cheaper stuff. Lenses such as this make that OK.

This baby OUT PERFORMS the f1.4L in some categories. It's not far behind in the others.
Everybody loves zooms & use them most of the time. The only reason we still use primes is because they're fast & sharp. Zooms have become sharper, so therefore we only use primes because they're fast. This lens is fast compared to almost any zoom.
35mm is slightly wide or around normal on a DSLR, depending on the sensor, therefore;
it's not wide enough for the "serious" landscape people & it's not long enough for the "nature" people in awning company near me Manahawkin NJ, so it's going to be used as a "general" lens when the lights low.
Great.
It's light enough to have in your bag all the time & just used in those low light situations.
It makes a good lens for light, all day walks & hikes.
Don't worry about the data, you're just distracting yourself from the main purpose; taking beautiful & interesting pictures. If those wing-nuts can do it with a LOMO, then you can do it with something like this.

Aug 3, 2022
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add allanpetter to your Buddy List
codym90

Registered: Jul 13, 2022
Review Date: Jul 13, 2022 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Great image stabilization for video
Cons:
Not as good as the RF lenses

This lens is great for video and low light. I loved using it when I had a Canon 5D Mark IV. I've since sold it when I got my Canon R6.

Jul 13, 2022
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add codym90 to your Buddy List
glasgow

Registered: Jun 28, 2022
Review Date: Jun 28, 2022 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: it's very good to the clarity of the photo
Cons:
nothihng

When choosing a resin bound driveway, it is important to look for one that is UV stable. UV stable resins are more refined than non-UV stable ones. This means that they will maintain their clear colour even when exposed to UV light. If you have light aggregates in your driveway, this is important, as the shade of your resin will appear brown over time. Non-UV stable resins will change colour slightly when exposed to sunlight, but will still remain durable.see this

Jun 28, 2022
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add glasgow to your Buddy List
phillipsaevere

Registered: May 6, 2022
Review Date: May 16, 2022 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Good high iso performance, great movies, excellent features for the price with great picture quality
Cons:
for the money none!

I prefer direct access to the AF points and you can't just press the Set button to go back to the centre AF point if you have this enabled. I cannot imagine why they do not allow this as the Set button isn't doing anything else at this time and is supposedly customisable too, just not with anything useful.

The high ISO image quality in RAW is about a stop better than the much-used 18 meg sensors but the low ISO IQ is very much the same, perhaps very slightly less noisy.

Considering this is several years on in development from my 7D and 550D I'm a little underwhelmed, even though it's hard to say quite why, the camera just seems a bit 'sterile' a bit 'soul-less' but then it's basically a computer outdoor living space . It certainly doesn't feel much like an upgrade in any meaningful way.

May 16, 2022
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add phillipsaevere to your Buddy List
jmikes

Registered: Jan 15, 2019
Review Date: Sep 2, 2021 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $540.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp when focused properly. Light weight. Good construction. Moisture resistant. Good autofocus. Excellent image stabilization. Excellent low light capability.
Cons:

I have owned this lens since 2015, bought used on Fred Miranda. Eventually, I sent it to Canon for focus adjustment. Since then, the lens has performed spectacularly. The lens is sharp, focus is accurate, low light with the IF and f/2 is truly amazing.

This lens has been my walk around lens for my Canon 6D since I bought it.

Amazing lens.

Sep 2, 2021
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jmikes to your Buddy List
Didi88

Registered: May 12, 2020
Location: Croatia
Review Date: Mar 29, 2021 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Sharp, fast and good looking
Cons:
AF often misses in poor light, but i think it could be my 5dIII's fault

I got rid of my sigma 35mm because of AF issues. At first, I was worried because I was thinking I'm replacing sigma with an inferior lens. Luckily, I was wrong.

Regarding sharpness, this little lens never left me wanting. I like to shoot my primes wide open, and I can say I never noticed any difference between it and sigma. And I like to pixel peep my photos.

Second thing that made me worry is the subject isolation capability. There's no better thing for me than slightly soft background when shooting portrait with a fast 35mm. Canon didn't dissappoint here. Difference between f1.4 and f2 is really not so big. I can still achieve a nice soft backround even with a full body shot.

Vignetting? It probably bothers some people, but not me. It adds to a charm of the picture.

It's not built like the sigma, but it's good enough. I use a heavy tank-like gripped camera body, and I don't think this lens makes it look any less sturdy. It's short and stubby. I like lens that look like that.

One more thing that makes it better than sigma. You can easily put a front cap on while using the lens hood. With sigma that was not so easy.

Mar 29, 2021
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Didi88 to your Buddy List
deanmejos

Registered: Feb 17, 2015
Review Date: Nov 7, 2018 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: small, light, sharp, IS
Cons:
not 1.4

I'm from the Philippines and my friend in the US bought this for me last Dec 2017 and after ~10 months with it, I am very happy with it. The only downside for me is that it doesn't go to 1.4 but instead gets IS. It's become my main lens on my 6D II and it only goes to the bag when I need something with more reach. Focus is fast and accurate, it's sharp wide open, it does vignette a bit but I like the look and it does offer a pretty different look compared to the 50 so I'm learning to appreciate that too.

Nov 7, 2018
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add deanmejos to your Buddy List
dalephill2

Registered: Aug 26, 2003
Review Date: Jun 23, 2018 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $450.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Lite, sharp, fast, what more could you ask for.
Cons:

This really is a jewel of a lens, its so lite I enjoy it as a walk around, on my crop body or my 5dmkiv. tack Sharp at 2.8 and beyond, even 2.0 is very usable, I love this lens I also have the 16-35f4 and I could not do without the 2.0. ive been seeing them at 400 and its a steal.

Jun 23, 2018
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dalephill2 to your Buddy List
AlbertConnor

Registered: Feb 13, 2018
Review Date: Feb 13, 2018 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, weight, compact size, picture, bokeh, tenacity of focus, speed of focusing, image stabilization in poor conditions, color rendition.
Cons:

I bought this lense for low light. Mainly on people's birthdays, for when the candles are getting blown out. cheaper than the L1.4, which I tested. This lense is very good quality and I would highly recommend it.

Feb 13, 2018
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add AlbertConnor to your Buddy List
akustyk

Registered: Apr 26, 2011
Review Date: Jan 28, 2018 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: excellent sharpness from f/2 on, efficient IS, size/weight excellent for it being well balanced and not to heavy, fast AF also in movie mode
Cons:
bokeh gets ugly with busy backgrounds, but it's nothing like the old Canon's 5 blade diaphragms. new price a bit too steep

it started with the Yongnuo 35/2 for me, which turned out to be excellen focal length for use with crop body (750D). after about a month with the YN I was very certain that this is the focal length I love to have in a fast and solid optically lens. unfortunately, YN was a mixed bag with significant share of bad photos due to missed focus, so I had to look for something more expensive. I didn't particulary like size/weight of Tamron 35/1.8 and obviously even less of the Sigma's ART lenses (whose designers clearly ignore the concept of small size and weight) nor the price (and bulk too) of Canon's 35/1.4. I was a bit reluctant about 35/2 IS too, as I was affraid it would be too bulky for a Rebel. in the end it isn't really. it is relatively large but it balances very finely. in terms of optics and mechanics I knew what to expect and my own impressions coincide with the internet knowledge.

Jan 28, 2018
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add akustyk to your Buddy List
thedutt

Registered: May 15, 2006
Review Date: Dec 8, 2017 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: form factor, IS, IQ
Cons:

Sharp lens, works well for my needs. Easy to put it on 5D3 and have a one trick phony for landscape, street & intimate portraits. Every time I sell the 35 f2 lens ( I sold the older version twice) , I end up re-buying it. My non wildlife prime combo is 35 & 135 F2s.

Never had a 35L, but I enjoy this lens at least as much as the sigma 50 1.4 Art that I have, even more so due to the form factor. ( I like the EF-M 22 also, so I am partial to the POV of 35mm)

Dec 8, 2017
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add thedutt to your Buddy List
rek101

Registered: Dec 15, 2016
Review Date: Jun 28, 2017 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $450.00 | Rating: 3

Pros: Very sharp...especially from F/2.8 on, IS does help...makes it a more reliable lens than any other prime I've used if you need sharp images. It's also lightweight.
Cons:
Much lower contrast than f/1.4L version 1. Contrast is no different than than than the 100 40mm pancake to my eye. Very bulky...attracts as much attention as a pro lens. IS gives you only 1 to 2 stops. Expensive, even when it's on sale refurbished for 430.

I'm not quite sure why people rate this lens so highly on this site. On amazon it rates pretty average for a Canon prime. I really love the 35mm focal length and I hate the weight of the 1.4L.

I think the 35mm L v1 lens is good lens, but I don't think it comes close to the quality of Canon's L telephoto lenses like the 70 to 200 F/4 or F/2.8 IS. I think Canon struggles with making reasonably priced wide angle lenses and this IS lens is a good example. I tried the 35mm f/2 non-IS and it's washed out and nothing special. I also have the 40mm pancake and to me, that lens is very similar to this one....very sharp with very little contrast. That's great if if you like examining eyelashes at 1:1, but the overall look is very flat. For example, you could take two picture of the same face with this IS lens and the f/1.4 L v1 and the L lens will show how deep the wrinkles actually are while this lens will show what look like cracks of unknown depth. To me, skin with this lens looks waxy compared to the L lens and when I print the photos from the IS version, the images look lifeless and flat compared to the L lens. For $300 more, you could get a quality used 1.4L and a lot of pop to your images. Or to save money, get the pancake or the old f/2 lens without IS..it's worse, but not by much and it's much more compact.

For what it's worth, I had a Nikon F/2 35mm lens that was a pretty old design and the contrast on that 300 dollar lens to me looked a lot better than any of the Canon f/2 lenses.

Jun 28, 2017
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rek101 to your Buddy List
peterstrong

Registered: Dec 21, 2016
Review Date: Dec 21, 2016 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent Build, optics near perfect, IS is usefull on a prime! Works great on a Full Frame body.
Cons:

My initial shots are beyond expected. I am not used to a keepable photo rate like this lens delivers. It does even better than my original 24L mark 1! I am blown away by the sharpness of this lens on my full frame body. Tried it in all shooting conditions and it has perfomed nicely.

Dec 21, 2016
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add peterstrong to your Buddy List
pavlos.yatagan

Registered: Aug 12, 2016
Location: Greece
Review Date: Aug 12, 2016 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $590.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Well made, excellent picture quality even at F2, helpful IS, feels great with 5D Mark III, a perfect lens to carry on every day for street photography or other work
Cons:
Lens hood should to be bought separately

Bought few days ago. I wanted a light all-around lens to carry on with my 5D Mark III. It covers the most of my street photography needs, giving great performance even at F2. Even nice for portraits at open aperture with smooth bokeh. IS really works with one defect: kind of awkward blur at picture edges.

Aug 12, 2016
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add pavlos.yatagan to your Buddy List
Christopher-J

Registered: Jun 9, 2006
Review Date: Oct 31, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $460.00 | Rating: 9

Cons:
Doesn't include hood. Canon needs to stop being so cheap.

I was looking to buy a 24L or 35L but then heard about this lens. I checked out reviews all over the net, including here. Was impressed with what people had to say. Including the optics are near L quality. So I found a mint condition used version of this lens for $460 CAD.

Perhaps the best "Bargain" Canon has. It might be near $600 USD and some may compare it to the 50 f1.4 and 85 f1.8 but honestly this lens is beyond those which I also own. This is truly a near L quality lens in all ways. Even the build is respectable.

Down side. As with all non-L lenses Canon cheaps out and makes you buy a lens hood should you want one. Which is too bad. Other thean that no complaints.

Oct 31, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Christopher-J to your Buddy List
sing4u

Registered: Jul 11, 2003
Review Date: Oct 31, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: IS, Image Quality, Build
Cons:
Camera Hood Not Included, Size

I had the original 35 2.0 for years. It was one of my favorites lens. On short trips, I often only take my 5D3, the 85 1.8, 35 2.0 and flash. All in a small Lowepro bag that has a flap over the top, but does not zip or close completely. On a trip, I had put the bag in the airplane overhead bin. When we arrived at our hotel, I found the 35 2.0 was missing. Apparently it had fallen out in the overhead bin. I tried to track it down with the airline with no luck. So, one of the main things I loved about the original 35 2.0, the size, was the reason I lost it.

On the positive side, it gave me an excuse to buy the 35 2.0 IS. The first thing that struck me when I received it was how much larger it is than the original 35 2.0. In everyday shooting, there may be a marginal increase in image quality. The IS is nice. Overall, I am very happy with the lens, but, I was also very happy with the old one.

I still often travel with just the 35 and 85 using the same Lowepro bag. With the larger size of the new 35, I am not afraid of it falling out of the bag. It is a very nice lens, a bit pricey in my opinion.

Oct 31, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sing4u to your Buddy List

Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS