Canon EOS 5DS

2 18060 Dec 9, 2015
10.0
Screen_Shot_2015-03-06_at_9_34_34_AM_copy

50.6-megapixel, 36 x 24mm CMOS sensor
"R" version has cancelling AA filter
ISO 100 to 6,400, plus ISO 50 and up to 12,800 expansion
5 frames per second burst mode
Dual DIGIC 6 Image Processors
3.2-inch, 1.04M-dot LCD with Live View
61-point AF system with up to 41 cross-type points
252-zone, 150K-pixel RGB IR metering sensor
Full HD movies with external mic jack
Dual card slots (CompactFlash Secure Digital)
USB 3.0 digital I/O; uncompressed HDMI output

MattVinkers

Registered: Dec 9, 2015
Review Date: Dec 9, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,599.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast accurate auto-focus
Cons:

I was hesitant to buy this EOS 5Ds R due to the reviews claiming enhanced noise levels in the high MP sensor qualities. O.K., so inform me exactly what I'm doing incorrect. I photographed in low and typical ambient daytime with ISO 3200 and I'm not seeing the sound in the shadows, or anywhere else, for that matter. My regular electronic camera is a Nikon D800E. This video camera was bought for my partner, who has actually been making use of a Canon EOS 5DMKII. There are much better noise qualities for this video camera than my Nikon at the same light levels and ISO readings. Far, this 5Ds R has actually performed well beyond what I was led to think from the reviews I check out from "professionals" and "lovers" who declare to understand technical information about performance. Well, I can't say anymore than this to anybody thinking about acquiring this 5Ds R for their severe photography: Make the determination about it's suitability for your purposes by utilizing the cam as you typically utilize it for your work and take the "professionals" guidance with a big grain of healthy apprehension. You might be amazed by the outcomes you enter your very own testing. I'm not consisting of any images in this commentary, since a little thumbnail size image is of little help in seeing image quality. This 5Ds R is a gorgeous and stylish entertainer.

Dec 9, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add MattVinkers to your Buddy List
sixgun

Registered: Nov 21, 2006
Review Date: Sep 11, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Amazing resolution, great AF, best in class color and handling. ISO is still very good for hand held but you better have a steady hand.
Cons:
Costly - not worth paying the premium to Canon - wait a few months it will drop. The 5D Mk III and Nikon 810 are almost as good and $1K less.

I have been using this body for a little over a week now. I am a working pro - I mostly shoot real estate and products and I have a passion for remote landscapes. The extra pixel density would be nice to have. I have been shooting with a 1DX and 6D so the 5Ds would be a significant step up in density.

This is by far the best DSLR I have used, paired up with a great lens like the 35mm 1.4L or 85 1.2L II or 17 TS-E you will be astonished at the image quality. I use a PhaseOne medium format camera on occasion and honestly I cannot tell the difference between the images from this body, and the images from a $30,000 50MP Phase One.

I have to say that this camera is not for everyone. For one, its ridiculously priced. The only way I would ever justify paying full retail for this body is if you are a working pro and deriving income from it - you need to ask yourself if you will gain an advantage or angle you don't have now - or if you will lose your edge to a competitor that has it - if that answer is yes, then by all means go for it - $1k is not a lot when it comes to our investment in gear.

If you are not deriving income from it - you are probably wasting your money. For the most part, this is a 5D MkIII with double the pixels and lower ISO. It does come with a price though - most people will be disappointed that they will lose sharpness when hand holding this camera - the sensor is so big and sensor density so tight - that it pretty much requires a tripod or perfect light for all but the most steady of hands to get the most out of it.

Pixel noise in the shadows is worse than the 5D Mk III as well, although that can be overcome in post.

Where this camera shines is shooting products, architecture and landscape in good light with a tripod - specifically for the purpose of printing. For that, there is no better DSLR on the market right now, and the main reason we are considering it. (I have an eval unit for two weeks)

If I was a hobbyist, even a rich one, I'd buy a 5D MkIII or D810 - they are far more versatile and they both still have world class ISO performance.

Also - you can pretty much be assured that if you wait for the hype to die down, you will pick it up for 20% less in 6-8 months - most likely less.

That said, if you are pro - you won't find better resolution at anything close to this price point and it could give you some advantages.

Note : I have tested the Sony A7R II as well - amazing images but the body is too small, the controls fumbly, and an adaptor is needed to work with my collection of Nikon & Canon mount lenses so it wasn't really an option for me - however - if I had no investment that body would be a strong contender - IQ and ISO are best in class.

Mark
6IXGUN.COM

Sep 11, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sixgun to your Buddy List

Canon EOS 5DS