New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

green screen shooting

marcm1

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · green screen shooting

Hello,

I've been shooting seem-less white paper individual pictures for local gym but this year they want to try shooting with a green screen and try different backgrounds, I use Alien bees lights, I just got my 10 x 24 Lastolite screen from Adorama yesterday so who makes the best software with backgrounds to do this project ?

Thanks,

Marc

Dec 07, 2017 at 07:01 PM
c.d.embrey
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · green screen shooting

Green Screen is meant for pulling Traveling Matts for Film and Video production. For Stills almost any Image-Editing software will work to Cut-Out an image. Background color does-not-matter. Shot your own backgrounds, or buy them from low-cost-stock sites.

To sell the shot as being real, the hair must be perfect.

Dec 07, 2017 at 08:20 PM
Jay Ford

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · green screen shooting

Background does matter. Try shooting anyone in a labcoat on white.

In any case, green and blue key are used for a reason. I have just had horrid issues killing green spill, especially when subjects are standing directly on the background, and am hoping there is a software solution.

Dec 07, 2017 at 09:34 PM
bcmusher
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · green screen shooting

There is a very good software that does an excellent extraction on a green screen. I have it and it works great.
It is from Shirk Photography, he also includes a very comprehensive video along with samples. Google it and you can see a video on it.

Dec 07, 2017 at 11:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

c.d.embrey
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · green screen shooting

Jay Ford wrote:
Background does matter. Try shooting anyone in a labcoat on white.

You like most still photographers, don't know how to shoot on white. Fortunately, Jerry Avenaim does, and he will tell you how http://blog.avenaim.com/2009/12/10/photography-lighting-white/

I shot this on a white background. It was cut-out by Kim, a professional Adobe artist in Santa Ana, CA

In any case, green and blue key are used for a reason. I have just had horrid issues killing green spill, especially when subjects are standing directly on the background, and am hoping there is a software solution.

A viewing filter works wonders for finding spill. Here's a Tiffen for bluescreen http://www.filmtools.com/tiffen-5-viewing-filter-for-blue-screen.html?ref=isp_rel_prd&isp_ref_pos=4 I had Harrison & Harrison (out of business?) custom make me a greenscreen viewing glass in the 1970s.

I started my career in Hollywood working on Pete's Dragon (1977). At that time Walt Disney Productions was using the sodium vapor process (occasionally referred to as yellowscreen) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_vapor_process

Several years later I was in charge of Photographic Effects Lighting for Apogee, Inc on Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979) We used a back lit Stewart T-Mat Bluescreen that was on wheels. We could crank-it-up to f/16 and we did use it outdoors.

During that period (1979-81) I had several conversations with Petro Vlahos, the inventor of the Ultimatte process https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petro_Vlahos

I've worked as a paid consultant for greenscreen work.

Here's my page at the IMDb http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1379875/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cr125 This is for my feature-film work only, and does nor include tv commercials, documentaries and movies of the week (MOW)

Dec 08, 2017 at 12:48 AM
Jay Ford

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · green screen shooting

That looks to be exactly what I need - not just extraction, but automatically cleaning green spill and reflection. Thank you very much.

bcmusher wrote:
There is a very good software that does an excellent extraction on a green screen. I have it and it works great.
It is from Shirk Photography, he also includes a very comprehensive video along with samples. Google it and you can see a video on it.

Dec 08, 2017 at 04:21 PM
Fotografpaul
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · green screen shooting

c.d.embrey wrote:
You like most still photographers, don't know how to shoot on white.

I do, but that doesn't mean I can't acknowledge the benefits of using a greenscreen in some situations.

There are certain situations were green screen is faster and more convenient, especially when it comes to space, number of lights used and speed in post.

There also situations where greenscreen is less then optimal, such reflective products etc.

So the argument that people use greenscreen just because they don't know how to shoot on white is ignorant at best.

Edited on Dec 10, 2017 at 08:25 AM · View previous versions

Dec 08, 2017 at 06:54 PM
Fotografpaul
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · green screen shooting

To OP there are plenty of software that does this, with different levels of functionality.

I use EZ greenscreen, also used Photokey pro 8.

The main thing to think about is distance from background to subject so that you minimize spill from the greenscreen. (about 1m) this will still allow light hitting the background so that you get a fairly evenly lit background that will take little to no effort to remove in post.

Dec 08, 2017 at 07:02 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password