Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

4 years ago I wanted a 5DmkII... Now i'm finally ready, b...

OfTheWild

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 4 years ago I wanted a 5DmkII... Now i'm finally ready, but all these new options!

Ok truth is, I left the DSLR world in 2014 giving up my 7D and 5D for a wedding and honeymoon. I mostly stopped taking paid gigs/studio work and started casually doing my own projects with a Fuji x100. I traveled the world and took some photos but I'll be honest, its frustrating to use when you know what you want. What i thought I was going to purchase when i traded in my gear was a 5DmkII just as the mkIII was released making it an affordable option for me. I have obviously waited long enough to see the 5DmkIII come into my budget but also a handful of other new options I hadn't considered.. some of the older 1D's, the 7DmkII, the 6D?

I've been out of the game too long. I don't know where the best bang for buck is these days.

Luckily, I kept all my L lenses, a battery grip, and lots of Canon odds and ends... so I'd like to keep it Canon instead of swapping to Nikon. I am not doing sports or racing anymore so I dont need the 7D's speed for now, I definitely prefer the full frame, I'm done shooting weddings and stuff that I'd want 2 bodies for. So what kind of options should I be looking at for the $1-2k range? Or should i grab a 5DmkII and another lens?

Nov 15, 2017 at 06:30 AM
lighthawk
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 4 years ago I wanted a 5DmkII... Now i'm finally ready, but all these new options!

Get a bargain 6D and start shooting.

Nov 15, 2017 at 06:45 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 4 years ago I wanted a 5DmkII... Now i'm finally ready, but all these new options!

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/refurbished-eos-digital-slr-cameras

6d, 5d3, or 7d2, all great options, 1 year warranty... The 5d2 is a bit dated at this time.

Nov 15, 2017 at 07:07 AM
OfTheWild

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 4 years ago I wanted a 5DmkII... Now i'm finally ready, but all these new options!

lighthawk wrote:

You'd pick up a 6D over say a 5DmkIII or a 1DSmkIII? They all look to be in that $1200 sweet spot range

Nov 15, 2017 at 07:14 AM
OfTheWild

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 4 years ago I wanted a 5DmkII... Now i'm finally ready, but all these new options!

TeamSpeed wrote:
https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/refurbished-eos-digital-slr-cameras

6d, 5d3, or 7d2, all great options, 1 year warranty... The 5d2 is a bit dated at this time.

ya know, i never would have considered an official refurbished body from Canon directly. Getting the seal of approval and a warranty on old equipment sounds like a pretty good idea though. Thanks for the tip.

Nov 15, 2017 at 07:16 AM
adittam

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 4 years ago I wanted a 5DmkII... Now i'm finally ready, but all these new options!

OfTheWild wrote:
ya know, i never would have considered an official refurbished body from Canon directly. Getting the seal of approval and a warranty on old equipment sounds like a pretty good idea though. Thanks for the tip.

If you keep an eye on the Canon refurb website over the next week or so, they ALWAYS run a black friday promo. The only hard part is getting what you want before they go out of stock. https://www.canonpricewatch.com/ has a refurbished stock tracker section of their website and notification tools that are helpful, though.

Nov 15, 2017 at 07:35 AM
OfTheWild

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 4 years ago I wanted a 5DmkII... Now i'm finally ready, but all these new options!

Oh excellent, i'll bookmark that too. Yeah i was kind of hoping to find something with a deal for 'black friday' or maybe 'cyber monday'

Nov 15, 2017 at 08:14 AM
milkod2001
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 4 years ago I wanted a 5DmkII... Now i'm finally ready, but all these new options!

6D2 would probably be the best to get now, much better AF , no banding issues.

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:12 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 4 years ago I wanted a 5DmkII... Now i'm finally ready, but all these new options!

Some don't consider the price difference between the 6D and 6D2 to be worth it. Some don't need the AF upgrade, nor like how condensed all those points are, and as stated, no sports here so no need for all that speed. The 6D center point is just fine for casual sports as well.

I don't remember any banding issues with the 6D, at least not when only pushing exposure up a couple of stops during post?

The smart money, based on the needs stated, would not include the 6D2.

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:38 AM
Cadaver
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 4 years ago I wanted a 5DmkII... Now i'm finally ready, but all these new options!

I've had a 6D for many years and never have experienced any banding issues. I think it's a great camera and really like it's high ISO performance. If you can't afford the 5D mkIV, the 6D is the sweet spot. I also think Canon refurbs are excellent!

Nov 15, 2017 at 12:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 4 years ago I wanted a 5DmkII... Now i'm finally ready, but all these new options!

lighthawk wrote:

OfTheWild wrote:
You'd pick up a 6D over say a 5DmkIII or a 1DSmkIII? They all look to be in that $1200 sweet spot range

Yes. Did that, sort of. I replaced my 5DII with a 6D, and my 1DsIII with a 1DX. Currently, I shoot most of my stuff with a pair of 6D, a 5DS, a 1DIV, and an SL2. The pair of 6D gets the most use, by far.

Nov 15, 2017 at 12:31 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 4 years ago I wanted a 5DmkII... Now i'm finally ready, but all these new options!

+1 for a 6D mark 1

Nov 15, 2017 at 01:43 PM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 4 years ago I wanted a 5DmkII... Now i'm finally ready, but all these new options!

For most casual use, 6D + glass is a better overall investment than the 6D2. That said if you have the cash, the 6D2 should be a fine body.

Nov 15, 2017 at 03:23 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 4 years ago I wanted a 5DmkII... Now i'm finally ready, but all these new options!

6d is basically all round better than the 5dmk2 apart from lacking 1/8000th and the pc synch.

Sure it misses the joystick over the 5d2 but you can use the 8way command dial and lets face it your choosing from 9 focus points anyhow, no one uses the outer ones lol

Nov 15, 2017 at 08:19 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 4 years ago I wanted a 5DmkII... Now i'm finally ready, but all these new options!

What "outer ones"?

Nov 15, 2017 at 08:24 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 4 years ago I wanted a 5DmkII... Now i'm finally ready, but all these new options!

see!

Mind you it was 6 months before I even tested AF on my 6d lol

Nov 15, 2017 at 08:33 PM
rek101
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 4 years ago I wanted a 5DmkII... Now i'm finally ready, but all these new options!

For a short while, the refurbished stuff went on sale for 15% off. The 6D was 1019.15 and the 5d III was 1784.32. That is the absolute cheapest I've seen them on the Canon site and you pay sales tax. I would assume used prices for something in good condition are 100 to 200 less maybe?

If you are leaning towards the 6D, I think you can save even more money getting a used 5D II unless you need wifi. The autofocus in the 6D is similar from what I've heard and autofocus is really what separates the 6d and the 5dIII.

If you plan to take photos of kids or people moving around, I think the 5D III is worth it...my percentage of shots in perfect focus probably jumped from 40% to about 80%. It really made a difference for me, but I'm not a pro and my technique is pretty lousy. I think someone with better technique can get great results with either. I just like it because it's one less thing to worry about.

Nov 15, 2017 at 08:54 PM
OfTheWild

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 4 years ago I wanted a 5DmkII... Now i'm finally ready, but all these new options!

RobDickinson wrote:
6d is basically all round better than the 5dmk2 apart from lacking 1/8000th and the pc synch.

Sure it misses the joystick over the 5d2 but you can use the 8way command dial and lets face it your choosing from 9 focus points anyhow, no one uses the outer ones lol

what about the 5dmk3? thats roughly the same price as the 6D from what I'm seeing.

Nov 15, 2017 at 09:00 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 4 years ago I wanted a 5DmkII... Now i'm finally ready, but all these new options!

OfTheWild wrote:
what about the 5dmk3? thats roughly the same price as the 6D from what I'm seeing.

Is it? there was quite a price difference retail rrp...

6d has better overall IQ, no/less banding at low ISO and better high ISO for things like astro.

5d3 has far better af (outside of the centre -2ev point), overall better performance fps and more solid build etc.

6d has some odd restrictions (1/4000th, HDR is only jpg etc).

Nov 15, 2017 at 09:05 PM
OfTheWild

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 4 years ago I wanted a 5DmkII... Now i'm finally ready, but all these new options!

rek101 wrote:
For a short while, the refurbished stuff went on sale for 15% off. The 6D was 1019.15 and the 5d III was 1784.32. That is the absolute cheapest I've seen them on the Canon site and you pay sales tax. I would assume used prices for something in good condition are 100 to 200 less maybe?

If you are leaning towards the 6D, I think you can save even more money getting a used 5D II unless you need wifi. The autofocus in the 6D is similar from what I've heard and autofocus is really what separates the 6d and the
...Show more

I was looking at used 5Dmk3's on eBayand in the classifieds for $1500 or less... it looks like the 6D is right under $1k used. Is the $500 difference worth it? I could pick up a 6D with a 24-105L for the price of the 5D3... that sounds like a fantastic deal

Nov 15, 2017 at 09:11 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password