Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · X-T1 or X-E3 as backup/second body to X-T2?

darthalal
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · X-T1 or X-E3 as backup/second body to X-T2?

I’m wondering what others would choose in this circumstance as a second body and backup to a X-T2. I know the ideal backup/second is another X-T2, but financially, it’s just not going to happen. The situation is: I’ve just switched back to Fuji as my main kit, and updgraded my X-T1 that was my travel camera, to an X-T2. I was going to keep the X-T1 as a backup/second, but noticed that I could get the same price that I paid for it ($400) if I traded it in to Amazon, and with the new bodies coming out and the flood of used X-T1’s on the market that look like they’re struggling to sell at the same price, it seemed like a good chance to take the trade and get out of the X-T1 for minimal effort. The plan at that point then became to pick up the X-E3, to have s second body with faster AF, the same sensor (for simpler post processing, since I’d often be combining photos from the two cameras for a given event), and also for the kit discount in the 23mm f2, since I don’t have a Fuj wide angle anymore. But now I’m having second thoughts, since buying the 23mm on its own is cheaper than the X-E3 kit minus the $400 trade for the X-T1.

As far as target usage, my main photographic hobby is shooting car races. With the two body set up, my tele lenses (100-400mm and/or 50-140mm) would be glued to the X-T2 + battery grip, with th wider lenses (23, 35, 50) being swapped around on the second body, depending on the situation. This saves time for swapping and makes it less likely to miss certain shot opportunities, but also saves sensor dust from having to swap lenses (motorsport venues can be very dusty!).

The way I see it:

X-T1
Pros:

1. Similar ergonomics
  2. Weather sealing and 'pro' build
  3. Viewfinder

Cons:

1. No joystick
  2. Menus - camera might feel similar in hand, but old/different menu system
  3. 16 mp sensor - great sensor, but different 'look' which may increase time in post trying to balance colors
  4. Slooow autofocus and tracking compared to X-T2 - wouldn’t make a great primary body for this on the tele’s if the X-T2 goes down for any reason. Yes, it’s possible, I’ve done it, but it can be a pain.

X-E3
Pros:

1. Same sensor as X-T2
  2. Fast AF
  3. Joystick
  4. Same menus as X-T2
  5. Smaller and lighter (good for a second body, would likely also use it as my travel body)

Cons:

1. Tiny (relatively) viewfinder and poor eyecup (I wear glasses)
  2. No weather sealing - I live in California so rain is often not a concern at races, but dust often is, and you never know
  3. Different form factor and button layout, less direct control access (I’m not hugely worried about this, since I’ve always shot with different bodies and can pretty quickly adjust to a new camera, but worth mentioning)
  4. Consumer build quality
  5. Cost - I already have the X-T1, so if we value that at $400, and also take into account that I’m planning on the 23mm as well (let’s say I can find it used for $400), then the cost of upgrading to the X-E3 is $1,150 (kit price) - $400 (X-T1 trade) - $400 (value of 23 I’ll be buying anyway) = $350.

I guess my TL;DR would be - What would you prioritize; familiar button layout and higher build/materials quality plus $350 savings? Or familiar menus, sensor, joystick, and better and more reliable AF performance?

Nov 14, 2017 at 03:20 PM
drewmey
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · X-T1 or X-E3 as backup/second body to X-T2?

I would actually go with an X-T20 in your case. Same sensor as X-T2, similar controls (yes different but similar enough for an easy transition) and much cheaper than another X-T2. The small primes you are thinking of using on your second body should focus plenty fast enough on an X-T20 (assuming you are talking about the f2 versions).

Nov 14, 2017 at 03:31 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · X-T1 or X-E3 as backup/second body to X-T2?

I voted X-E3, which I have, but I highly suggest you find a Fuji dealer and try it first. If you do, give them a chance to sell you one. The other option would be to rent one.

My main concern for you is the viewfinder. I wear glasses, but I never shoot wearing them, going back to film days. Some eyeglass wearers say it's no big deal with the X-E3. If you shot right eyed you might actually prefer the viewfinder position. I'm left eye dominant, but I taught myself to shoot right eyed ever since I've owned a Leica M3.

I've been impressed with the AF of the X-E3, especially continuous focus of moving objects. Earlier in the season I photographed my grandson running cross country. I shot with my Canon 5D2. Two weekends ago I photographed him again, this time with the X-E3. The Fuji did a much better job tracking him and I loved being able to shoot 8fps.

Nov 14, 2017 at 03:42 PM
darthalal
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · X-T1 or X-E3 as backup/second body to X-T2?

I was thinking of the 20 as well, but didn’t want to complicate the post too much - I think if the 20 had the joystick and had a similar discounted 23mm kit I’d be considering it a lot more seriously. But as is, since I’d have to buy body only and then buy the 23 separately, I think the total cost would be add another $100 or so over top of the X-E3.

Yes, I was talking about the f2’s. I had the 23 1.4 and 56mm the first time around, but was always really stressed out by dust, and the 56mm AF was occasionally too slow (23mm was fine; great, even), so I thought I’d give the f2’s a shot this time.

Nov 14, 2017 at 03:43 PM
darthalal
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · X-T1 or X-E3 as backup/second body to X-T2?

dmacmillan wrote:
I voted X-E3, which I have, but I highly suggest you find a Fuji dealer and try it first. If you do, give them a chance to sell you one. The other option would be to rent one.

My main concern for you is the viewfinder. I wear glasses, but I never shoot wearing them, going back to film days. Some eyeglass wearers say it's no big deal with the X-E3. If you shot right eyed you might actually prefer the viewfinder position. I'm left eye dominant, but I taught myself to shoot right eyed ever since I've owned a Leica
...Show more

I'd definitely try to get my hands on one before buying, but I've just had surgery and can't really leave my apartment for the next week or so to check one out in stores, and would need to decide if I wanted to cancel the X-T1 trade in in a couple of days if I was going to, since that's when they'll receive it.

As far as viewfinder position; I actually really liked/preferred the location of the viewfinder on my (former) X100T and X-Pro2. It's one of the reasons I was looking harder at the X-E3 than the X-T20. It's just the eyecup depth and relative size that concern me, since even with the extended cup on my X-T1, I would struggle on occasion in really bright sunlight. I have pretty bad astigmatism, too; so I can't just adjust the diopter and push my glasses out of the way to shoot, unfortunately.

I've used a friend's X-E2 a handful of times (and liked it, apart from it not feeling very solid compared to X-Pro2/X-T2), and already use mostly the scroll wheels and joystick for most menu navigation on my X-T2, so I don't think I'd have a problem at all with the form factor or lack of d-pad.

Nov 14, 2017 at 04:12 PM
darthalal
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · X-T1 or X-E3 as backup/second body to X-T2?

Hmm, it looks like this may not matter any more. It seems Amazon has flagged the X-T1 for return, due to “light scratches,” which is funny because I’m pretty sure there are none, and because according to UPS, they don’t even have it yet.

I still think it’s an interesting question, though, and there’s a chance that was a mistake, so I’ll still leave this up for now.

Nov 14, 2017 at 04:49 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · X-T1 or X-E3 as backup/second body to X-T2?

I think it kind of depends on why one wants to second body. For example...

If you plan to use both side-by-side two examples of very similar cameras, you might add the XT1.

If you are looking for something that provides features that the XT2 doesn't provide — such as smaller size — you might consider the XE3.

If you want the same image quality, XE3.

Nov 14, 2017 at 11:41 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · X-T1 or X-E3 as backup/second body to X-T2?

Xt20 !

Nov 15, 2017 at 08:53 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · X-T1 or X-E3 as backup/second body to X-T2?

drewmey wrote:
I would actually go with an X-T20 in your case. Same sensor as X-T2, similar controls (yes different but similar enough for an easy transition) and much cheaper than another X-T2. The small primes you are thinking of using on your second body should focus plenty fast enough on an X-T20 (assuming you are talking about the f2 versions).

Same. The X-T20 is just a smaller X-T2, minus a few things (weathersealing, second tilt axis on the screen, joystick and dual cards and a smaller viewfinder). Otherwise, it's pretty much the same body. Focus is the same, framerate is the same, buffer is deep, image quality is identical, controls are very similar. With the upcoming firmware update that will add trackpad focus selection (which I've tried on the X-E3, and fuji's implementation is excellent), which really will do a good job at replacing the focus stick. I upgraded from my X-T1 to the X-T20, and while I do sometimes miss the grip and viewfinder from the T1, everything else was a big upgrade. I would also suggest getting the arca-swiss hand grip, as it does improve handling quite a bit on the tiny T20 body.

Nov 15, 2017 at 08:59 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · X-T1 or X-E3 as backup/second body to X-T2?

I wasn't thinking about the XT-20 when I wrote my reply, but it should certainly be added to the list: less expensive, decently equipped, most important features still included, same 24MP sensor, and a lot less expensive.

Nov 15, 2017 at 09:52 AM
DougVaughn
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · X-T1 or X-E3 as backup/second body to X-T2?

It's always a personal choice and depends on what fits your style, but my vote is for the X-E3. I recently returned from a 1 week trip to Cuba and shot the X-T2 and X-E3 side by side. Generally, I had a larger lens (like the 90mm) on the X-T2 and the 23mm, 35mm, or 50mm on the X-E3. It's wonderfully small and tucked away nicely in mini messenger bag with the spare lenses.

It's been my intention to write a review on the X-E3 based on a LOT of shooting that week. I returned to a stack of work at my real job (I just play at being a photographer) and am almost unburied. Suffice it to say I was pleased with the camera's handling and results. Very few minor quibbles, such as the ISO adjustment, but even that has a viable workaround.

Nov 15, 2017 at 01:34 PM
akin_t
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · X-T1 or X-E3 as backup/second body to X-T2?

Honestly, barring price there's absolutely no reason to consider a 16MP Fuji body if you're looking for a body today.

Fuji as a system has done much maturing since the X-T1. Go with the X-T20 or the X-E3.

Nov 16, 2017 at 01:53 PM
darthalal
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · X-T1 or X-E3 as backup/second body to X-T2?

gdanmitchell wrote:
I think it kind of depends on why one wants to second body. For example...

If you plan to use both side-by-side two examples of very similar cameras, you might add the XT1.

If you are looking for something that provides features that the XT2 doesn't provide — such as smaller size — you might consider the XE3.

If you want the same image quality, XE3.

As I mentioned in my wall-of-text above (sorry, it's long ), it would be mostly for side-by-side use, to avoid having to change lenses as often when shooting car races. X-T2 is small enough that I don't think it HAS to be smaller for travel, though if I did have an X-E3, I would probably take that on trips instead.

Same IQ would be nice, to save time in post-processing trying to get everything from an event to match up, since that was one reason that I switched from shooting X-T2 + D500 to 2 Nikon bodies earlier this year - it was too time consuming getting a similar look out of the two cameras. (Nikon's gone now, though). I just can't decide if that one point is worth the $400-500ish price that I'll end up paying to upgrade the X-T1.

gdanmitchell wrote:
I wasn't thinking about the XT-20 when I wrote my reply, but it should certainly be added to the list: less expensive, decently equipped, most important features still included, same 24MP sensor, and a lot less expensive.

A lot less expensive than what? It's much more than the X-T1 (since I already have it, hah), and is only $100 cheaper than X-T20, and only due to a temporary (albeit long) sale. Would actually end up being more expensive than X-E3 in the end, since I could save money on the 23mm f2 that I plan on buying, by packaging it in with the X-E3. *shrugs*

Jman13 wrote:
Same. The X-T20 is just a smaller X-T2, minus a few things (weathersealing, second tilt axis on the screen, joystick and dual cards and a smaller viewfinder). Otherwise, it's pretty much the same body. Focus is the same, framerate is the same, buffer is deep, image quality is identical, controls are very similar. With the upcoming firmware update that will add trackpad focus selection (which I've tried on the X-E3, and fuji's implementation is excellent), which really will do a good job at replacing the focus stick. I upgraded from my X-T1 to the X-T20, and while I do sometimes
...Show more

Don't forget the ISO dial! One thing about X-T20 vs X-E3 that I think would bother me is that there IS a dial there, it just doesn't do the same thing. I could see myself spinning the drive dial on occasion, trying to change ISO; where the X-E3, it's very clearly different, and there's no dial there at all, so easier to avoid confusion when rushing to get a shot. Other than that; yes, X-T20 seems like a great option here.

DougVaughn wrote:
It's always a personal choice and depends on what fits your style, but my vote is for the X-E3. I recently returned from a 1 week trip to Cuba and shot the X-T2 and X-E3 side by side. Generally, I had a larger lens (like the 90mm) on the X-T2 and the 23mm, 35mm, or 50mm on the X-E3. It's wonderfully small and tucked away nicely in mini messenger bag with the spare lenses.

It's been my intention to write a review on the X-E3 based on a LOT of shooting that week. I returned to a stack of work at
...Show more

That's pretty much exactly how I plan on using the two bodies; 100-400 or 50-140 on the X-T2 on my main strap, and 23, 35, or 50 on the X-T1/X-E3/X-T20. So this is great feedback.

akin_t wrote:
Honestly, barring price there's absolutely no reason to consider a 16MP Fuji body if you're looking for a body today.

Fuji as a system has done much maturing since the X-T1. Go with the X-T20 or the X-E3.

Right, definitely, I agree; but I already have the X-T1, I'm not looking to buy one. I was debating keeping it, and benefitting from having two bodies with the same controls (minus joystick) and form factor, vs. trading it in for the same price that I paid for it, and applying those funds towards an upgrade to have the same sensor and faster AF, but deal with different ergonomics and shelling out a bunch of $$$.

Unfortunately, Amazon has rejected my trade-in, somehow before it was delivered to them, so the debate is now "spend the time/effort trying to sell it here or on ebay, probably at a loss, and then shell out $$$ for the upgrade" or "just keep and use it" once Amazon ships it back to me. *sigh...*

Nov 16, 2017 at 03:08 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.