New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Nokton 40 1.2 Black Blobs in Bokeh

Sjredo
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nokton 40 1.2 Black Blobs in Bokeh

Hi, I got this lens a few days ago, and tonight I went out to shoot some photos. When I came home I realized that many of my photos had dark blobs or spots on the bokeh balls.

Is this normal? or is it a defect with the lens?

Thanks.

Nov 10, 2017 at 03:38 AM
Sjredo
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nokton 40 1.2 Black Blobs in Bokeh

Does anyone have a contact for Voigtlander? I can't seem to find it online

Nov 10, 2017 at 01:13 PM
retrofocus
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nokton 40 1.2 Black Blobs in Bokeh

I don't think that this is normal - looks like a particle sits somewhere on an internal lens or something clipped off from the glass.

Nov 10, 2017 at 02:16 PM
Sjredo
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nokton 40 1.2 Black Blobs in Bokeh

retrofocus wrote:
I don't think that this is normal - looks like a particle sits somewhere on an internal lens or something clipped off from the glass.

There are no particles whatsoever or nothing seems to be chipped inside the lens. I've spoken with a few people that know about lens design and they suggest that it could be two lens elements touching each other, and they shouldn't be.

Noted this only happens with lights at a distance, and these are like 200% crops. I've seen issues like these on Phillip Reeve's review of the lens.

QC issue?

Nov 10, 2017 at 02:23 PM
retrofocus
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nokton 40 1.2 Black Blobs in Bokeh

Sjredo wrote:
There are no particles whatsoever or nothing seems to be chipped inside the lens. I've spoken with a few people that know about lens design and they suggest that it could be two lens elements touching each other, and they shouldn't be.

Noted this only happens with lights at a distance, and these are like 200% crops. I've seen issues like these on Phillip Reeve's review of the lens.

QC issue?

All good points - yes, could very well be a manufacturing issue here. Easiest would be to return the lens and exchange it if bought new - if not, it is more difficult to replace.

Nov 10, 2017 at 02:46 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nokton 40 1.2 Black Blobs in Bokeh

That's indeed weird. If it was a dust speckle, it would only show in one specular highlight instead of many like your examples show.

Nov 13, 2017 at 11:03 PM
Makten
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nokton 40 1.2 Black Blobs in Bokeh

I've seen such things with mine too, but only occasionally. I also remember that the Sonnar 50/1.5 gave "dots" in the OOF circles sometimes. Probably nothing wrong.

Nov 13, 2017 at 11:57 PM
realVivek
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nokton 40 1.2 Black Blobs in Bokeh

I think it is part of the lens’ “character”. I have seen such black centers in some fast lenses that I have.

Nov 14, 2017 at 12:03 AM
sebbe
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nokton 40 1.2 Black Blobs in Bokeh

Sjredo wrote:

QC issue?

May you share the whole picture? Just to see the distances, exif, ... I'll try to reproduce it then with my copy.

Nov 14, 2017 at 09:08 AM
Sjredo
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nokton 40 1.2 Black Blobs in Bokeh

1st image, crop in the centre where the highlights are, the black spot should be pretty visible.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128391487@N02/37714535944/in/photostream/

2nd image, every light in the building pretty much has it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128391487@N02/24558044558/in/photostream/

Nov 15, 2017 at 04:03 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sebbe
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nokton 40 1.2 Black Blobs in Bokeh

Beside the issue: Very nice shots.
I'll have a look tonight. The focus distance looks similar. Also the distance to the "issue".

Nov 15, 2017 at 07:25 AM
te4o
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nokton 40 1.2 Black Blobs in Bokeh

Do you have images where the black spots DO NOT appear in the blobs?
I have the Nokton on my desk but don't have a camera to fit it onto, how silly this may look, but will try to give you my test asap after the 7R3 lands down under. BTW are these Jacarandas?

Nov 15, 2017 at 09:28 AM
Sjredo
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nokton 40 1.2 Black Blobs in Bokeh

Well, I do but they're not exactly similar conditions. If the far away highlight is almost blown out, the black spot gets more noticeable. This may be in fact normal, since I've seen it in Phillip Reeve's review of the lens in the fountain pics.

And yes, they're Jacarandás, I'm from Argentina, and they're pretty much all over the place in Buenos Aires They're quite beautiful now in the blooming season.

Phillip Reeve's fountain pic below:

Nov 15, 2017 at 01:19 PM
sebbe
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nokton 40 1.2 Black Blobs in Bokeh

Same here. It's a crop of a f1.2 shot.

You can easily see how it get's worse the more far away the lightsource is.

ILCE-7RM2    Voigtlander NOKTON 40mm F1.2 Aspherical lens    40mm    f/1.2    1/40s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 15, 2017 at 06:34 PM
Sjredo
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nokton 40 1.2 Black Blobs in Bokeh

sebbe wrote:
Same here. It's a crop of a f1.2 shot.

You can easily see how it get's worse the more far away the lightsource is.

Whoa, thanks so much for finding the time to replicate this. Fred, if you'd be so kind, would you confirm you have the same issue under these circumstances?

Thanks!!

Nov 15, 2017 at 06:36 PM
sebbe
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nokton 40 1.2 Black Blobs in Bokeh

Sjredo wrote:
Whoa, thanks so much for finding the time to replicate this. Fred, if you'd be so kind, would you confirm you have the same issue under these circumstances?

Thanks!!

Easy. I'm back from a weekend in Venice where I tested the lens under any ideas how I would use it. And especially at f1.2. I just looked through the pics for a few minutes to find a good one for you.

Nov 15, 2017 at 06:43 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nokton 40 1.2 Black Blobs in Bokeh

Sjredo wrote:

Thanks!!

I was checking some of my images (that look like yours) and saw the black spots. I really think it's a characteristic of this lens. Along with the ugly onion ring pattern and high LoCA wide open!

Here is a sample from my latest copy.

Nov 15, 2017 at 06:48 PM
Sjredo
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nokton 40 1.2 Black Blobs in Bokeh

Thanks so much Fred!!

Has anyone contacted Voigtlander about this? I can't because I don't have the invoice with me... Is this really normal?is it a production defect? or is it just something with really fast lenses?

Thanks everyone!

Nov 15, 2017 at 06:52 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Nokton 40 1.2 Black Blobs in Bokeh

and here is some samples from my first sample copy. (That I used for the review)

These are 2 different images:

Nov 15, 2017 at 06:56 PM
realVivek
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Nokton 40 1.2 Black Blobs in Bokeh

I think it is a manifestation of coma. Product defect?!

OMG!

Sjredo wrote:
Thanks so much Fred!!

Has anyone contacted Voigtlander about this? I can't because I don't have the invoice with me... Is this really normal?is it a production defect? or is it just something with really fast lenses?

Thanks everyone!

Nov 15, 2017 at 06:58 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password