Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              60      
       62              105       106       end

Archive 2017 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

virtualrain
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.61 #1 · p.61 #1 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

nekrosoft13 wrote:
"rep" will tell you want you want to hear to make a sale

I know personally from distribution point of view, yes larger stores will get few more.

But we are talking about numbers like BH might get 100, Adorama, 100, Murphy, 70, Focus 70, Store B 50, Store C 50 etc...

BH will never get all 700+ that they filled up for pre-order on day one.

Whenever there is a huge release buying for the large store you will always always wait longer then anyone else, unless you place your order few minutes after they started taking the orders.

When Tamron 150-600 first
...Show more

I don’t know how Sony operates, but my impression from the pre-order shops that I’ve talked to is that there will not be a supply problem with this product and how many cameras any shop receives for launch depends on what they order. For example, I chatted with a B&H rep late on the first day of pre-orders and he indicated I was about 3000 down the list but there was a very good chance I would get a camera on day one. Another shop I talked to indicated they expected to receive stock for all their 25 pre-orders, implying that they were ordering 25 units and expecting to get that many. This launch is a whole different story from your average supply constrained launch event. Ask your store of choice how many pre-orders they have and how many units they’ve ordered. It’s probably the same number. Only people ordering now after stores have most likely placed their initial orders with Sony might be in a position where they might get not get a unit in the stores initial order. Not because Sony doesn’t have enough, but because the store didn’t request enough.

Nov 14, 2017 at 03:11 PM
gg_9

p.61 #2 · p.61 #2 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

Well what was the A9 launch like? Anyone pre-order (B&H or otherwise) but miss out on the first wave? I know the D850 fiasco is fresh on everyone's mind, but it seems like the A9 launch would be the better point for comparison, no?

I've tried searching through old threads to see if I could find an answer, but no luck so far.

Nov 14, 2017 at 03:28 PM
Wanny
• •
p.61 #3 · p.61 #3 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

I doubt the pre order numbers for the a9 were anywhere near the amount the riii will have, so I dont know if thats a fair comparison. Sony will fill the pre orders quickly though, I dont think anyone should be worried.

Nov 14, 2017 at 04:26 PM
Matt Grum
• • •
p.61 #4 · p.61 #4 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

nekrosoft13 wrote:
that 70-80mp is coming as a9r

I don't think so.

Firstly it would make no sense from a branding point of view - the A9R would have nothing in common with the A9, which is a fast sports oriented camera. Secondly Canon and Nikon both discontinued their high resolution pro bodies, because the market didn't exist. Thirdly Sony have never been leaders in resolution (in the past 8 years), the A7R followed the D800, the A7RII followed the 5Ds. Their strength lies in fast readout speeds and data processing, high resolution works against this.

If 70-80MP is coming it will be an A7R IV (or more likely A7R V).

Nov 14, 2017 at 04:47 PM
mogul
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.61 #5 · p.61 #5 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

Matt Grum wrote:
I don't think so.

Firstly it would make no sense from a branding point of view - the A9R would have nothing in common with the A9, which is a fast sports oriented camera. Secondly Canon and Nikon both discontinued their high resolution pro bodies, because the market didn't exist. Thirdly Sony have never been leaders in resolution (in the past 8 years), the A7R followed the D800, the A7RII followed the 5Ds. Their strength lies in fast readout speeds and data processing, high resolution works against this.

If 70-80MP is coming it will be an A7R IV (or more
...Show more

I hate to disagree Matt but in Minolta/Sony nomenclature, 9 designates flagship while the 7 is an all around, do everything camera. The 9r is coming and it will be a beast.

Nov 14, 2017 at 04:53 PM
davewolfs
• • • •
p.61 #6 · p.61 #6 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

There is nothing to indicate that the A9R will ever exist. The rumor sites have continuously been wrong. Additionally if Sony is to follow the same pixel size of their recently announced sensors the A9R would be 60MP not 70-80. This is all vapor ware.

mogul wrote:
I hate to disagree Matt but in Minolta/Sony nomenclature, 9 designates flagship while the 7 is an all around, do everything camera. The 9r is coming and it will be a beast.

Nov 14, 2017 at 04:56 PM
Mystik
• • •
p.61 #7 · p.61 #7 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

A7rii was sold out for a couple of weeks when it was released. I'm sure the a7riii will sell in greater numbers but that does not mean it will sell out. It depends on how many units sony produces.

With regards to BH and adorama...they may get a lot more units smaller stores, but they also get a large proportion of pre-orders too. Typically for hot ticket items, those two stores are sold out for while and you have better luck with lesser known stores.

Mystik
• • •
p.61 #8 · p.61 #8 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

A7rii was sold out for a couple of weeks when it was released. I'm sure the a7riii will sell in greater numbers but that does not mean it will sell out. It depends on how many units sony produces.

With regards to BH and adorama...they may get a lot more units smaller stores, but they also get a large proportion of pre-orders too. Typically for hot ticket items, those two stores are sold out for while and you have better luck with lesser known stores.

philber
• • • • • •
p.61 #9 · p.61 #9 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

My own guess is that we will see a 60Mp A9R. So far, in Sonyspeak , A9 = "professional", and Sony are keen the break the pro market open. There is a market for professionals who want very high resolution. They will get a A9R with 60Mp, which is the pixel density of the recently announced MF chips. As "it wouldn't be a A9", look at the different meanings of A7 when it is -or not- followed by a R or S; Just a guess, though, and they are a dime a dozen...

Nov 14, 2017 at 05:17 PM
Matt Grum
• • •
p.61 #10 · p.61 #10 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

mogul wrote:

Right but Canon and Nikon both abandoned the concept of a high resolution flagship in favour of a high speed one.

philber wrote:
My own guess is that we will see a 60Mp A9R. So far, in Sonyspeak , A9 = "professional", and Sony are keen the break the pro market open. There is a market for professionals who want very high resolution.

There is but it's a very small market, the market for a high megapixel prosumer camera is much larger, that's why we have the D850, 5Ds and A7RIII and that's why there's no 1Ds mkIV or D5x and why there won't be an A9R.

Nov 14, 2017 at 05:28 PM
nekrosoft13
• •
p.61 #11 · p.61 #11 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

virtualrain wrote:
nekrosoft13 wrote:

Nov 14, 2017 at 05:42 PM
Trek_of_Joy
• •
p.61 #12 · p.61 #12 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

I ordered my GH4, A7s, A7rII and a6500 from Texas Media Systems just days before the release date - long after the pre-orders opened, and got all of them in that first wave. In fact, they shipped my a7rII two days before it was released - for free - I had it in hand on release day.

I buy lots from B&H, but if I want to pre-order a hot item, Texas Media is where I go.

Nov 14, 2017 at 06:11 PM
RobCD
• • •
p.61 #13 · p.61 #13 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

Matt Grum wrote:
I don't think so.

...Show more

What was/is the common link between the A7 and A7r and then the A7s, A7II and A7rII? In my opinion they are related mostly because of their similarities in build, the balance of features and performance to price and the respective enthusiast markets they target. I'd be surprised if Sony couldn't sell the A9r provided it had a new higher resolution sensor and other improvements that are of interest to someone that wants an even higher resolution camera. I do think Sony could go either way but I lean towards the A9r since Sony used the same sensor again with the A7rIII. I believe Sony wants to be first more times than not and I'm not sure they can wait for two plus years to release a camera with more resolution than the A7rIII. The A9r gives them a path to get it out there sooner without rushing a replacement for the A7rIII.

Nov 14, 2017 at 06:12 PM
PrecisionPhoto
• • • •
p.61 #14 · p.61 #14 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

Very first Sony A7rIII Pixel Shift mode test by DPreview: “All details are clearer, crisper”

Nov 14, 2017 at 09:25 PM
mogul
• • • •
p.61 #15 · p.61 #15 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

Matt Grum wrote:
Right but Canon and Nikon both abandoned the concept of a high resolution flagship in favour of a high speed one.

There is but it's a very small market, the market for a high megapixel prosumer camera is much larger, that's why we have the D850, 5Ds and A7RIII and that's why there's no 1Ds mkIV or D5x and why there won't be an A9R.

There is a Sony 9 camera sitting out there known as 99II

Nov 14, 2017 at 09:43 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.61 #16 · p.61 #16 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

Matt Grum wrote:

I tend to agree. With medium format prices falling, many pros who need top IQ will go for MF over similarly priced FF. And the pros who need speed generally don’t need tons of MP.

Doesn’t mean I don’t want a 50mp speed demon myself, from whatever brand.

Nov 14, 2017 at 09:49 PM
Michael Everet
• • •
p.61 #17 · p.61 #17 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

All this talk of the A7rIII supply -- and rightly so -- I'm wondering about supplies of the 24-105, which I ordered from BH but not on day one. I'm wondering if preference is given to those who bought the A7rIII also, or do some A7rIII's come with the 24-105 as a kit lens?

Nov 14, 2017 at 10:17 PM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.61 #18 · p.61 #18 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

It will definitely come. A flagship high res camera. That may not br 70mp but only (!!) 42 mp. But read out specs will be like a9 or even sutpassing it. Just a guess.

Matt Grum wrote:
I don't think so.

...Show more

Nov 14, 2017 at 10:57 PM
chrismscotland
• •
p.61 #19 · p.61 #19 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

Not seeing any suggestions today in Europe that today is the day for availability - I've a very early pre-order in for the A7riii and 24-105 but not seeing any suggestion its coming this week, (UK)

Edit - actually strike that, just had an email from WEX UK saying this Friday.... still not sure whether I want to upgrade or just keep the A7rii....

Nov 15, 2017 at 06:17 AM
virtualrain
• • •
p.61 #20 · p.61 #20 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

Some people in Europe now have the camera in hand. I hope Sony doesn’t make us wait until the 30th in NA.

Nov 15, 2017 at 12:45 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.