New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Affinity Photo - m43 user experience?

Wilbus
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Affinity Photo - m43 user experience?

I haven't had any time my self, not for AP or for C1 and Lightroom detail and noise comparisons. Hopefully I'll have more time this week.

AP is very interesting and I will try and spend way more time with it and looks through the tutorials as well.

Btw Takomaru, thanks for mentioning DXO Photo Lab, I have missed U-points for RAW files since Nikon stopped it with their RAW converter. It's one of the best local editing features of any programs and it's great to hear DXO bought it from Google. Perhaps now it can evolve some rather then die a silent death under Google's leadership.

Sounds like you had a great trip as well!

/Rasmus

Oct 31, 2017 at 08:47 AM
takomaru

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Affinity Photo - m43 user experience?

Spend all day just watching videos on the Affinity tutorials and now just picking a few files to test; I was very disappointed with LR trial, in fact it was ridiculous to not offer a full version, it blows me away, I'm glad there are good options and Affinity looks like a good one to run paralel.

Wilbus, been using DxOptics since the old Ninja Noise reduction and always get an upgrade from them, there's a free copy of their Optics Pro 11 on their site, I don't have a link or I'd put it, which is also very good. Their new Photo Lab is more of a Suite using the U tech, whick is pretty kool and I hope they rebuilt all Niks again as Google left it to die stale.......

The rivers and mountains are always nice when tropical rain is pouring, not cold at all, beautiful when the sun breaks through; this is a very wet spot and it'll be great from Christmas on, but some streams to dry for the Zodiac. Mainly shot the A7R and film on a Linhof Technika with 6 x 12 rolls for panos and easy shooting with preset infinity... Regards, takomaru

Oct 31, 2017 at 12:03 PM
ijm5012

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Affinity Photo - m43 user experience?

Wilbus wrote:
Yes m43 is great, I've had a little low time with it though as the E-M1 has failed me quite a bit with action shots and I have considered adding a Nikon D500 but I'm trying to fight that thought. Just ordered a GH5 in order to test how it performs.

It's getting a bit off-topic, but being an owner of the E-M1 II and D500 and having shot them side-by-side with equivalent lenses (70-200 2.8 VR II and 40-150 2.8 PRO), the E-M1 II is no match for the D500. When it comes to sports, the D500 is still without a doubt the sports king as far as crop sensors go. As much as I love my m43 gear, it's still not there for sports and action (or at least not up to my expectations/requirements).

Nov 02, 2017 at 01:25 AM
datagov63

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Affinity Photo - m43 user experience?

I have been using AP for about 5 months and find it easier to use than PS and with some great effects. It's fast and powerful.

Here's a shot I worked on with AP and Darktable.

https://500px.com/photo/232936027/the-hague-by-steven-adler?ctx_page=1&from=user&user_id=1555335

Nov 02, 2017 at 04:04 AM
Wilbus
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Affinity Photo - m43 user experience?

Nice @datagov63, you wouldn't happen to want to show the original? Just to see what has been changed!

Nov 02, 2017 at 05:27 AM
takomaru

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Affinity Photo - m43 user experience?

To the OP galenapass and anyone interested, in reference to your original post; I don't see Affinity Photo as a program tailored to address especifically m43 needs or files, terrific tool yes. Sharpening for me is mostly used as to output sharpening depending on my media, since I am a printer and always print my files, I use different sharpening for K7 fine art B&W printing as I do for outputing to continuous tone Metallic or Archival Matte Fuji or for film recording, same for noise reduction techniques, I mostly prefer DeNoise from Alien Slin in RGB, I don't see a one program do it all solution. Files are all process differently according to media to be reproduced, color contrast tonality is very different for printing in Kodak Metallic and acrylic face mounted than from inkjet.

Cataloguing and initial file development and treatment is very easy in Lightroom for myself, and so is stitching, having a RAW file, right clicking and opening directly to PS or any external editor I'd like to use.

The last 2 days I went through all Affinity and for what I could comprehend, it is a very hefty program with a huge amount of tools that would take a very long time to be prolific or even comfortable with. The panorama, HDR, tonemaping, exposure blending, stacking, bracketing astools and combinations are endless so are the different forms of doing each and the amount of tools, rendering intents in each action...to reach the level of the presenter Miguel Boto would take a long time and specific dedication, and I will be doing this as I like very much everything that I just went through; my suggestion would be to open the link which can also be accessed from Affinity also, and go through the methodical disclosure of the full program which is perfectly desclosed and outlined, each with concise, well explained videos, by the time I was in panoramas, HDR, bracketing you do understand the full scope and magnitud of Affinity growing at every instance. I just received from Affinity their current 1.6 version update, I have bought the program as the test trial for 10 days only would not give me time to test much, this is the link I've been using http://www.miguelboto.com/affinity/photo/video-tutorials/ ; in other forums some consider Affinity an overkill because they have no such needs, easy to understand, I also found this post from Pentax forums in reference to luminosity masks https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/327632-no-need-traditional-luminosity-masks-affinity-photo.html
It seems many users are experimenting with Affinity so growing fast and well, good development and very good support and documentation. Since no browser involved and folders need to be created to open RAW files to stitch, HDR, blend, stack or further combinations, I will continue to do so in LR, I also will choose files to test as currently I am incapable of any sustained and efficient workflow; so it would be impossible for me to go out and shoot a combination of stitches or images to stack, stich or blend, as I must start as a beginner and not as someone prolific with Affinity. Today I will shoot a series of 2-3-4 row pano stitches, simple ones, will develop in Affinity and as soon as finished will upload the results in Prodibi for 100% viewing so all my errors can be seen ghosting, failures in perfect stitching due to breeze with leaves, but I will try hard to use all the tools as presented in the tutorials at 100-120 megapixels. Regards, takomaru

Nov 02, 2017 at 10:36 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Affinity Photo - m43 user experience?

@takomaru: talking about the Develop Persona, I have watched all the Raw Development videos (10 in all?) but none answer these questions:

What is the best way to tackle a large number of images (say, 300 from a shoot) in Affinity Photo? And is there a way of quitting the program if you have a large number of images open without going through the various dialogues to close each image down (one by one)?

Can adjustments be copied from one image to many in a simple process?

A list of what it cannot do compared to all the raw development programs I have used (like Adobe Ps, Capture One Pro, and Aperture) would be helpful. If, for example, AP cannot handle large numbers of images in Development Persona (and if you can't copy adjustments from one to many images) that would be very helpful to know. I only want to change softwares (for the reasons of depth, complexity, and learning curve) if the program can do all the things any photographer will need.

Nov 02, 2017 at 10:56 PM
takomaru

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Affinity Photo - m43 user experience?

Kit Laughling, I had the same problem as there is no browser, there are a lot, hundred + videos in the link I just uploaded, so it will give you a much clear and methodogical approah to Affinity, than a just 10 skimpy video tutorials; you can't carry development and settings to different files, as you basically must create folders for each set of files to be treated as Miguel Boto does in all his samples; but the processing gain vs doing so in PS does seem considerable; it would take a lot to do the same in PS with all pluggins loaded and I am not so sure I could obtain the same results from the operator so fast. Loading and selecting files would be slower, I will use LR for this, but the rest is more than promising in Affinity. Open the link and scroll to your main points of interest and watch the short 4-5 minute video that discloses it, it will give you a very good idea if this could fill your needs, it did to me, as I spent 2 days with this and an open Affinity in another screen...regards, takomaru

Nov 02, 2017 at 11:32 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Affinity Photo - m43 user experience?

I like my new name sounds more fun than the original! Thanks for that; I will start that looooong list of videos, and start at the beginning, too. And I could use still Aperture still for the initial cull, keywording if necessary (as you are planning to do with Lr), and then let Affinity's magic loose.

@takomaru: on what you have seen so far, how do you rate it purely as a raw developer? Looking over the whole program's capability, it nooks as though it can do what most photographers need from Ps, and at an old-fashioned price (and single purchase; I like that model far better than the subscription one). Cheers, KL

Nov 03, 2017 at 05:14 AM
takomaru

p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Affinity Photo - m43 user experience?

Maybe this will help, new version includes a batch procesor, so you could handle large batches; I only use batch processing in rendering 3D programs but somehow it's there.

For what I've seen so far it's terrific, much more complex than PS for my use, the 360 panos recovery shows a very advanced content aware tool for rendering a missing section, new version shows support for hardware acceleration, to what degree not sure but I will test this..I shot some panos early today in the park, will test these and shoot some more early morning...will try to upload the results by Monday. I 'm liking this program, just gotta learn how it runs.

Nov 03, 2017 at 05:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Wilbus
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Affinity Photo - m43 user experience?

Takomaru, great info, thank you very much, you seem to have had a lot more time to spend with it then I do plus the fact that you are already skilled at PS makes this great information

@Kit Laughlin Affinity Photo is not really a Lightroom competitor as much as it is a Photoshop competitor. Thus handling a large amount of files in a similar way will most likely not be Affinity's goal for Photo. However, I will have a look at the new version and see how the batch processor performs. Still waiting for their DAM next (hopefully) year though

Nov 04, 2017 at 08:03 AM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Affinity Photo - m43 user experience?

@Wilbus: that's perfectly clear; thanks.

What is their DAM idea? I have just posted a request on their forums for DAM+Affinity Photo; I am sure many photogs would like this.

Nov 04, 2017 at 09:05 AM
Wilbus
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Affinity Photo - m43 user experience?

@Kit Laughlin not quite sure what their idea is but I am guessing for a Lightroom alternative.

This article on PetaPixel https://petapixel.com/2017/06/27/affinity-may-building-lightroom-competitor/

At the end of it says "Update on 6/28/17: Serif has confirmed to PetaPixel that its building digital asset management software.

We are starting to work on an Affinity DAM app, the company says. Its something which will come to fruition after we have launched Affinity Publisher next year, so probably at least 12 months from now"

Yeah if they can make it as good as AP it should be great. They are really going after Adobe it seems like. Their first release was Affinity Designer, an alternative to Adobe Illustrator. They should be releasing an alternative to InDesign next year and hopefully the DAM after that.

Also, first answer to this post: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/25835-digital-asset-management/

Nov 04, 2017 at 09:42 AM
takomaru

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Affinity Photo - m43 user experience?

Wilbus, KL, good info you guys, hopefully a DAM should come soon. I did see a lot of progress between samples from vs 1.4 to 1.5, white clipping was eliminated, vs 1.6 ironed more glitches, so if they output a full version to substitute LR it would make Affinity a lot more interesting with the amount of tools it has; mounting some pluggins common to PS & Aperture functions well, tested some DNG files made in LR today...in handling several images things are quite slow now, walkarounds based on presets don't work well for me especially if stitching 4-5 row panos, better using DNG's in my tests https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/37274-batch-processing-in-affinity-photo/
Just coming from a trip it's easier to sit home, chill out for a few days and try to work this out, at the end of November/December have a 2 week show then it will be impossible, I'll print what I'm doing now to see mistakes with files I've done now as I'm not much for pixel peeping, I'd rather lay a 30 inch roll in the printer; I can't clean up ghosting like the videos, it seemed way to easy, will try again tomorrow, but auto aligning works better than in LR with files I'm testing now...

Nov 04, 2017 at 04:09 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Affinity Photo - m43 user experience?

Turns out there's a long (8+ pages) to that thread over at Affinity, and many people are asking for the same thing, so we might see something soon. In the meantime, Aperture can do that heavy lifting; it still works despite Apple trying to foist Photos on us as a substitute. Why they dod this is a mystery, to me.

When I have some down time (January) I intend to work through those videos takomaru linked to a few posts ago; I am sure I will learn a bunch of useful stuff, and I can ditch Ps forever!

Nov 04, 2017 at 08:11 PM
takomaru

p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Affinity Photo - m43 user experience?

Yes, doing the heavy lifting in LR is what I've been doing and exporting the DNG's, I don't know how Aperture exports RAW, KL, but if you can export them precooked then you're seriously inside Affinity; the DAM would be perfect, so hopefully they hurry with this, since Luminar is just launching now, they should push.

I just got a mail from Nicole Young, she did a good disclosure, workflow, presets and helped launch On1RAW; she just launched Luminar with MacPhun team; she told me she would take a good look at Affinity as we've been talking on this the past few days....so attention to AP is growing fast, and hopefully development will to...I'm glad I came upon this thread that is buried in the m43 where a lot of people don't really show up. Me, I love m43 and all the rest of high quality photography!

Nov 05, 2017 at 12:15 AM
takomaru

p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Affinity Photo - m43 user experience?

I did a number of combinations in both Affinity & LR, also outputted stitched DNG's and single from LR which couldn't clean any ghosting; without full development they both seem very close to me; still unable to clear ghosting and matching leaves like the presenter in the videos aligns and matches wires; impossible to my primitive skills! Further image treatment unmatched by AP features...Just waiting to clear up space in my Prodibi as it's full for a printing job now and can't take a folder out to upload this one, as space is limited, tomorrow will print and will be able to discern quality differences and errors much easier.

Nov 06, 2017 at 11:58 PM
Laario

p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Affinity Photo - m43 user experience?

Following this thread. Never been good friends with LR & PS so will start from scratch with Affinity. Thank you so far for the helpful information!

Nov 09, 2017 at 12:29 PM
takomaru

p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Affinity Photo - m43 user experience?

For those wanting or needing a mobile application on the go, it seems like the iPad Pro and Affinity Photo might be the answe; first saw a small but favorable a must have on FStoppers, now here's DP's review https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/affinity-photo-for-ipad-review?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2017-november-14&ref_=pe_1822230_261295390_dpr_nl_285_17

Nov 15, 2017 at 12:19 AM
       end

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password