New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Old DSLR vs old cell phone for young kid

Travis Pavek

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Old DSLR vs old cell phone for young kid

So my daughter is 7 years old and she enjoys going around taking pictures whenever she can get her hands on my gear. I want to get her something of her own but I am torn between something like a rebel or 40d with a 50mm 1.8 or an older cell phone (think nexus 5/5x). The main pros for a cell phone will be that she could shoot video and it will just be much easier to take with her. What are your thoughts?

edit: The more I think about it a nice little point-n-shoot might be the best. My main concern with a dslr is it will be too big and she won't want to carry it around.

Edited on Oct 12, 2017 at 01:05 AM · View previous versions

Oct 12, 2017 at 12:40 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Old DSLR vs old cell phone for young kid

If you typically shoot with a DSLR type camera then she might enjoy working with gear that looks similar to yours when you're together, rather than with a phone, tablet or a point & shoot. It will be an opportunity to eventually teach the technical aspects of how photography works - why use different lenses, how exposure variables affect images, etc. If you wish to stay in the Canon ecosystem and want video, then maybe one of the older Rebel style cameras that offer it, or one of the older EOS-M mirrorless cameras. The latter will be more portable.

If the idea is to give her a camera to take with her wherever she goes, then a cheap P&S might be a good compromise. I think pretty much all of these do video now. Some of the longer zoom P&S even look a bit like DSLRs, which she might like, but which will add bulk to the gear.

An older phone could offer certain non-photographic benefits, like an ability for her to figure out where she is on a map, or to contact you, assuming it's possible to manage some of the pitfalls of giving a phone to a child (these points assume she is not always under adult supervision, which is how I remember my childhood, but things seem to be different nowadays).

A while ago I was on the trails of the neighborhood woods and there was a trio of boys shooting a 'movie' on a point & shoot with a spindly tripod, having a great time. I guess the point is the gear probably doesn't matter all that much.

Oct 12, 2017 at 01:05 AM
Travis Pavek

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Old DSLR vs old cell phone for young kid

The bonding and teaching is exactly why I want to get her a dslr. I had asked her what she would prefer and after a lot of thought she said "I want one like yours". If it were a phone it wouldn't have any service but after thinking some more I think a cell phone is out and the debate becomes between a dslr and point & shoot.

Oct 12, 2017 at 01:12 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Old DSLR vs old cell phone for young kid

An SL1?

Which might be more comfortable for her.

Oct 12, 2017 at 01:36 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Old DSLR vs old cell phone for young kid

Travis Pavek wrote:
The bonding and teaching is exactly why I want to get her a dslr. I had asked her what she would prefer and after a lot of thought she said "I want one like yours". If it were a phone it wouldn't have any service but after thinking some more I think a cell phone is out and the debate becomes between a dslr and point & shoot.

Her reply to your question seems to be a pretty clear answer.

Oct 12, 2017 at 01:46 AM
austinschutz
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Old DSLR vs old cell phone for young kid

You could also always do mirrorless. Get an older generation m4/3 camera with the 2 lens kit. Bet you could get an EPL3 or EPL2 with both lenses for the same price as a used canon SLR. My little sister really liked the Samsung NX mini series (got one when she was about 9), so the Nikon 1 system might also be a good choice.

Oct 12, 2017 at 02:34 AM
Mar73
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Old DSLR vs old cell phone for young kid

A used SL1 is cheap enough and has video. You can also pick up a 30d for less than $100 these days.

Oct 12, 2017 at 03:12 AM
Ischgl99

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Old DSLR vs old cell phone for young kid

We went through the same thought process for my 9 year old daughter and we ended up with a Fuji waterproof and shockproof p&s. I would have preferred to start her on a DSLR, but knew at this age she would be tough on it and wouldn't be able to bring it everywhere she wanted to. I am starting her on composition and leaving the creative benefits of a DSLR for a later date when she has a longer attention span. I don't think at her age it matters if the background has good bokeh, it's more important to her just getting pictures of her friends and things that interest her.

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:44 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Old DSLR vs old cell phone for young kid

When I was 7 years old I had a Kodak Brownie, the plastic one with a pop out flash bulb. I didn't care for the lack of control—an aperture switch for indoors, cloudy and sunny—so I bought a Miranda F with my paper route income when I was 12. I would have bought it a year or two sooner but if took a really long time to save up $75 in the 1960s...

Oct 12, 2017 at 04:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Old DSLR vs old cell phone for young kid

I think fuji makes a 'tough' camera series that are waterproof. It's not like yours though, but it is a dedicated camera. If you get something bigger, I'd find something compatible with your current gear in case she stops using it. Then keep as a backup or dust it off for her on family vacations.

Oct 12, 2017 at 09:06 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Old DSLR vs old cell phone for young kid

I agree that the exact specs don't really matter. I think it might be a bit more important that it kind of looks like dad's camera.

Since we're recounting personal photographic development, I got into it around grade 5 due to being put in a photo class by my teacher. I shot with my mom's very basic fixed lens rangefinder, the one she used for her share of family photos until moving to a Kodak 110 piece of junk, then started playing with dad's not fully functional Exakta SLR. A family friend gave me a screw mount Practica and it kind of took off from there. By grade 7 I was reading Popular and Modern Photogaphy magazines every month and drooling over equipment catalogs (particularly lenses, lol). I harassed mom in to gifting me a Canon AE-1 Program kit for my 13th birthday. That was just the start of GAS...

I guess there could have been worse things on which to spend my allowance and part time job earnings during HS. I bought a used 300/2.8 later in HS rather than buy a used car... (I had a decent bike and the bus service in town was good)

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:44 PM
Jeffrey Myers
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Old DSLR vs old cell phone for young kid

My daughter is almost 8. She enjoyed a Canon point and shoot since she was 5. Recently I gave her a Rebel and she picked right up on it. Being able to explain what I'm doing and share technique is invaluable. If funds allow it, get a Rebel!

Oct 13, 2017 at 01:19 AM
Travis Pavek

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Old DSLR vs old cell phone for young kid

Thanks for all the advice I ended up spending a little more than originally anticipated but I ended up getting a used Rebel SL1. Super small camera that will fit her hands well, auto focus w/video, and be able to use my lenses if need be. Only real downside I see is it doesn't fit in her pocket.

Oct 13, 2017 at 06:10 PM
mbphoto_2.8
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Old DSLR vs old cell phone for young kid

Get her a stylish camera bag then.
Retrospective 5 for instance, in the blue denim colours, or the green one (I absolutely love mine!)

Oct 14, 2017 at 09:32 PM
sonofjesse2010
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Old DSLR vs old cell phone for young kid

A 40D and nifty fifty seems like a GREAT place to start. She will get used to using apeture control the DOF which is hard to do on a older cell phone.

Oct 24, 2017 at 12:53 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Old DSLR vs old cell phone for young kid

My Daughters started on dee fitty's (D-50) and 18-70/18-105's.
Juggling young children now most of their stuff is via cell BUT they
both understand exposure and have a solid foundation for future
gear acquisitions/growth. My oldest, has a better "eye" than me.

Oct 24, 2017 at 12:49 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Old DSLR vs old cell phone for young kid

A slightly more modern used DSLR can take decent video out of the box. For Canon, it looks like the T1i and models thereafter are all video capable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Canon_EOS_digital_cameras

Oct 24, 2017 at 09:25 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password