FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2017 · Thinking about switching to profoto

sungphoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Thinking about switching to profoto

tcphoto wrote:
My favorite soft box is the Elinchrom 150cm Indirect. I also have the Profoto 2x3 soft box for general use and may add a Mola beauty dish shortly. I'll admit that I've been into the Kinoflo Diva's lately.

Agreed, I've been on the lookout for the elinchrom 150cm on the used market. Have heard great things in terms of consistent of light output towards the edges of the surface.

Oct 11, 2017 at 03:35 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Thinking about switching to profoto

kdphotography wrote:
The B1 and B2 go hand in hand. Nice travel kit. B2 offers a totally different form factor. The weakness of the B1 is putting so much weight high up on a lightstand; add a large modifier on a windy day and you have a perfect sail. The B2 pack keeps weight lower and is more manageable. The Phottix Indra bracket is easily adapted (add a longer velcro strap) to hold the B2 pack onto a lightstand more securely.

See, https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1284784-REG/phottix_ph01200_indra_battery_mount_for.html

The B2 is definitely better with your voice activated light stand. The B1 can be unwieldy.

If Profoto would update the B2
...Show more

ProMediaGear also make a cage for the B2 to attach to a light stand, etc.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1236711-REG/promediagear_blpb2_battery_pack_cage_with.html

They make something similar for the Elinchrom Ranger Quadras I use. While pricy, I finally bought a few and I like them a lot. The pack is very securely attached to the lightstand via a super clamp and it let me totally ditch the straps that always got in the way.

As for a B2 with more power... that's essentially the Quadra (minus TTL and HSS, though you do get HS, which some will argue is better). I guess it depends on what you shoot. For my people work, I've found the Quadra's 400Ws is always enough power for singles or small groups. In fact, I rarely use it over 100Ws for indoor head shots, so could get by with the B2.

The Godox gear has intrigued me and I've contemplated getting AD200s for wedding reception coverage. The guy I shoot for got some recently and they haven't been a home run. The power is good, recycling is usually fast enough, but the problems lie in communication with the transmitter not being reliable enough. Guaranteed that at some point (a few times) per wedding that he'll have to do a reset. The other problem is speedlight integration. The Godox Li-ion units have been falling apart on him and integration with the Canon RT speedlight system is a workaround (can use the Phottix Laso receivers on the Canon RT system, but no TTL or manual output control of the Godox units - would have to use a Godox transmitter in the hand). I have a set of AlienBees and Einstein monolights I use for lighting larger venues and thought about replacing those with the AD600 but now not so much. What intrigues me currently is the D2. Love the idea of super fast recycling at full or near full power, as well as decently short flash duration at those settings. I also like how these Profotos fully charge the capacitors and draw only what's needed for a given power setting, keeping the rest in the capacitors available for potentially a short sequence of shots. Wish the Quadras would do that as it's about the only thing I don't like about them - the recycling time at above 1/4 power.

The Profoto A1 is what got me to explore their offerings in more detail and turned me on to the D2. I could see the A1 being very good for weddings and event coverage if they're reliable and live up to the on-paper specs.

I've read some negative comments, I think here in this board, about the Profoto deep umbrellas basically not doing what they're supposed to...

I really like the Elinchrom 39" Deep Octa, which I've used for years, and for which you can get a Profoto ring. I've been thinking about their 120cm Litemotiv recently but am also intrigued by the Parabolix modifiers that seem to be decent alternatives to the Bron Paras.

Oct 12, 2017 at 12:50 AM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Thinking about switching to profoto

I am still tossing around the idea of keeping my westcott softboxes or not. I have used them on so many jobs, have flown cross-country a ton with them, and I'm a little hesitant to throw out a tool that I know works awesome. I keep hearing great things about the elinchrom softboxes though...

I might pick up an A1 once there are some sales, but I'm not keen on buying a product that's entirely new right when it comes out.

The more I think about it, the more it probably makes sense for me to get a B2 as well for location work.

I like the elinchrom strobes as well, but I have been using gels a lot more lately for my indoor location work (primarily for color correction) and the profoto b1 gels are so damn easy to use. It's funny the things that you grow to hate about your kit - I've just gotten so tired of all the janky hacks I've used to properly secure gels to my Godox strobes. I am also excited about getting a remote trigger system that is more reliable. I regularly have issues where the Godox R2 trigger just stops communicating for a few frames. When I was doing a lot of engagement sessions in Central Park and Brooklyn Bridge Park, my godox strobes actually were getting triggered by other photographers doing the same - very annoying.

rscheffler wrote:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1236711-REG/promediagear_blpb2_battery_pack_cage_with.html

They make something similar for the Elinchrom Ranger Quadras I use. While pricy, I finally bought a few and I like them a lot. The pack is very securely attached to the lightstand via a super clamp and it let me totally ditch the straps that always got in the way.

As for a B2 with more power... that's essentially the Quadra (minus TTL and HSS, though you do get HS, which some will argue is better). I guess it depends on what you shoot.
...Show more

Oct 12, 2017 at 01:43 AM
MayaTlab
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Thinking about switching to profoto

sungphoto wrote:
I also am not buying (literally and figuratively) the whole overpriced profoto deep umbrella thing. It seems ludicrous that you'd price an umbrella comparably to the softboxes, but I suppose you're paying for the brand name on the side of the brollies.

The Jinbei and Interfit deep umbrellas are basically the exact same umbrellas as Profoto's (I've had them all under my nose). They're probably manufactured with the same techniques, maybe even the same parts and in the same factories. The silver fabric is exactly the same.

The Elinchrom deep umbrellas are actually slightly better made, and the fabric different.

Oct 12, 2017 at 04:37 AM
kdphotography
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Thinking about switching to profoto

rscheffler wrote:

It's the price of the Promedia gear that makes me rather have the Profoto B2 hang by its strap from the lightstand.
There is a time to skimp and a time to invest. I'll invest in Profoto and modifiers, but not the Promedia gear B2 holder. The Phottix Indra holder simply works---and looks like it was made for the B2. That's a big difference in price, and not a difference in end result.

Oct 12, 2017 at 07:28 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Thinking about switching to profoto

I'd probably also balk at $200 but $150 for the Quadra cage was borderline acceptable. Since getting them, it has helped simplify set up and as already mentioned, I really like them.

The Phottix bracket looks like it might work with the Quadra too, with some modification. But I think the Quadra is heavier than the B2, so will stick with the PMG solution if I feel like adding this to all my packs. But thanks for the link to the Phottix. I didn't know about it and it looks like it could possibly work with the PCB VML inverter, though there are less expensive options out there for this...

Oct 12, 2017 at 08:40 PM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Thinking about switching to profoto

Huh interesting. I might pick up one of the Jinbei ones then to play around with.

Thank you for your advice on the "parabolic" options. I have used my Paul C Buff PLM 51" white brollies a ton.

Oct 12, 2017 at 09:32 PM
stuuke
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Thinking about switching to profoto

MayaTlab wrote:
The Jinbei and Interfit deep umbrellas are basically the exact same umbrellas as Profoto's (I've had them all under my nose). They're probably manufactured with the same techniques, maybe even the same parts and in the same factories. The silver fabric is exactly the same.

The Elinchrom deep umbrellas are actually slightly better made, and the fabric different.

Are the Impact umbrellas the same as the Profoto Deep? The shape looks different from the pictures I've seen but the price sure is right. $300+ for a big white umbrella is pretty insane.

Oct 12, 2017 at 09:41 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Thinking about switching to profoto

I’m just an amateur with some used and some new Profoto gear. I’ve found the Profoto modifiers much more user-friendly than anything else I rented or used. I had a B1 and liked it, but it was prone to tipping over with modifiers mounted on it. Nice kit though.

Oct 12, 2017 at 09:49 PM
MayaTlab
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Thinking about switching to profoto

stuuke wrote:
Are the Impact umbrellas the same as the Profoto Deep? The shape looks different from the pictures I've seen but the price sure is right. $300+ for a big white umbrella is pretty insane.

I'm from the other side of the pond, so I have no hands-on access to Impact umbrellas. That being said, if differences there are in terms of shape or material, I'm pretty certain that they're marginal.

Regarding hard modifiers, Light Ignition on Ebay makes a few copies of Profoto's reflectors and grids. I've only used their grids, but found them just fine. Could be an interesting alternative.

There is also the used market if that's a possibility. Here in Paris Profoto equipment is in abundance, so it's quite an effective solution.

Oct 13, 2017 at 04:01 AM
Conner999
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Thinking about switching to profoto

We moved to Profoto some years ago from Eli and never looked back. We normally buy our gear used as there's always a good fast-churning market in used Profoto gear globally. On softboxes - their boxes are about average in terms of quality, etc, so just use ones your favour. We prefer Chimera for durability. Dynalite/Rimelite are great units at nice prices - but no access to grids.

Oct 13, 2017 at 06:32 AM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Thinking about switching to profoto

Conner999 wrote:
We moved to Profoto some years ago from Eli and never looked back. We normally buy our gear used as there's always a good fast-churning market in used Profoto gear globally. On softboxes - their boxes are about average in terms of quality, etc, so just use ones your favour. We prefer Chimera for durability. Dynalite/Rimelite are great units at nice prices - but no access to grids.

I've heard great things about the Dynalite softboxes. I'm still kind of leaning towards just ordering the profoto speedrings from Westcott and swapping them out on my rapid boxes. I am frustrated that Westcott doesn't have grids for most of the rapid boxes, but I found a custom grid maker (that is of course in Russia) that is quite reasonable.

I had also considered Elinchrom strobes, but Profoto strobes and modifiers are definitely a lot more widely available in rental houses (at least in the markets I work in), and the rental kit expandability, as well as being able to get spares if something fails when I'm thousands of miles from home base, was one of the reasons why I wanted to swap.

Oct 13, 2017 at 01:12 PM
Fotografpaul
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Thinking about switching to profoto

Regarding softboxes and Deep Umbrellas, Elinchrom offers Profoto speedrings so all their softboxes can be used with your B1's.

Their Deep Umbrellas are excellent and very affordable, a lot better than impact that's for sure.

Personally i find B1 less then optimal for location work, putting all the weight on top is never a good idea.

The ELB 400 and ELB 1200 is better suited for location work, pack attaches to the light stand and gives a much more balanced setup.

Oct 13, 2017 at 05:16 PM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Thinking about switching to profoto

Fotografpaul wrote:
Regarding softboxes and Deep Umbrellas, Elinchrom offers Profoto speedrings so all their softboxes can be used with your B1's.

Their Deep Umbrellas are excellent and very affordable, a lot better than impact that's for sure.

Personally i find B1 less then optimal for location work, putting all the weight on top is never a good idea.

The ELB 400 and ELB 1200 is better suited for location work, pack attaches to the light stand and gives a much more balanced setup.

I've decided to unload all of my westcott softboxes except for my "joel grimes" beauty dish as it's the closest quality of light I've found to a real white interior beauty dish, and pick up the Elinchrom 39" deep octa, profoto 2x3, a couple of their 1x3 strips, 3x4, and eventually the big boy elinchrom 5 ft indirect. That will pretty much cover all of my softbox needs.

Oct 14, 2017 at 05:58 PM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Thinking about switching to profoto

Can anyone share recommendations for a flight case for 3 B1s? Looking for something that would be able to be checked under the 50 lb limit for domestic.

I'm thinking about the Pelican 1650, as the case weighs about 28 lbs, and 3 profoto B1s would be right under 20 lbs, so would give me a tiny bit of wiggle room to throw in a charger and a couple speedrings.

I love my Think Tank bags, but I'm leaning towards something completely rigid for something that will be checked pretty much 100% of the time. That said, if someone has a recommendation that's proved safe to fly with, I'm open to suggestions.

Edit - looks like probably the best hard case solution would be the Pelican 1615 air, because the lighter design gets them down to only 17.6 lbs empty! I could easily put four B1s in there, along with several accessories and still be fine.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1244896-REG/pelican_016150_0000_110_1615air_wheeled_check_in_case.html

Oct 15, 2017 at 01:07 AM
Fotografpaul
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Thinking about switching to profoto

sungphoto wrote:
I've decided to unload all of my westcott softboxes except for my "joel grimes" beauty dish as it's the closest quality of light I've found to a real white interior beauty dish, and pick up the Elinchrom 39" deep octa, profoto 2x3, a couple of their 1x3 strips, 3x4, and eventually the big boy elinchrom 5 ft indirect. That will pretty much cover all of my softbox needs.

I like the 100cm Deep Octa, but since i got the Litemotiv 120 it's rarely used. For shoots where the Litemotiv 120 is to big, i go with the Deep Octa 70cm.

Oct 15, 2017 at 04:30 AM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Thinking about switching to profoto

I've been intrigued by modifiers like the litemotiv, but the size makes them not for practical for indoor location work.

What in particular do you like about the litemotiv?

Oct 15, 2017 at 05:22 PM
Fotografpaul
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Thinking about switching to profoto

sungphoto wrote:
I've been intrigued by modifiers like the litemotiv, but the size makes them not for practical for indoor location work.

What in particular do you like about the litemotiv?

I guess it depends on what kind of locations you work in, I use the Litemotiv 120 on locations as well as my indirect 190 and 145x145cm Litemotiv. The 190 (direct) litemotiv is suitable as the assembly alone take both space and time.

The Litemotiv 120 is a lot more work to assemble then the regular Rotalux, but still very doable as it’s set like most softboxes does. Probably takes me no more then 3min to set it up.

Compared to the Deep Octa 120, I get the same focused contrast light out of it but with softer shadow transition. Coupled with the front baffle it get’s of course even softer. (rarely use it with the front baffle) It’s also almost circular compared to the octagonal shape of the Deep 100cm. It’s a more versatile light imho and I simply like the output better compared to the deep 100cm.

The Indirect Litemotiv is a whole other ball game, they are very shallow (so they work very well on location) and they set up faster and easer then the Rotalux. They are extremely even across the front, and it’s like having your own portable window. Superb modifiers to mimic daylight, or to use as single light setup on location, be it for portrait, food or products (which is what I mainly shoot)

Hope that helps!

Oct 20, 2017 at 03:10 AM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Thinking about switching to profoto

Yes that does help, thank you for your thoughts on it.

After some research, it doesn't appear that there's a secure way to mount a B1 to a litemotive mount though? The bracket looks pretty beefy, but I don't know if I'd want to hang the weight of a B1 on it - looks more like something that is built for a pack and head strobe?

I suppose this makes sense, as there are quite a few pack and head elinchrom strobes that are compatible with the design.

My business is primarily advertising and corporate photography (I do a lot of other stuff for fun, but that's what I pay the bills with). Because of that I tend to shoot on location a lot, and often in pretty small spaces and non-optimal ceiling height and room width. The size difference between a 100cm versus 120cm octa ends up being important in tight spaces, as well as the depth of the modifier.

The light the litemotive produces looks great, but I think for what I'm doing right now it's kind of overkill. That might change once I move into a new studio space next year

Oct 20, 2017 at 02:42 PM
Fotografpaul
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Thinking about switching to profoto

sungphoto wrote:
Yes that does help, thank you for your thoughts on it.

After some research, it doesn't appear that there's a secure way to mount a B1 to a litemotive mount though? The bracket looks pretty beefy, but I don't know if I'd want to hang the weight of a B1 on it - looks more like something that is built for a pack and head strobe?

The Bracket is heavy duty, it will hold the B1 and a lot more securely with ease.

Regardless pack/head combo is a much more efficient and secure solution for location work, that's why I don't understand the design of the B1 and the likes which is made for location shooting. Simply no benefit of putting all weight on top.

Oct 20, 2017 at 03:12 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.