p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Thanks Wayne and Steve!

Oct 12, 2017 at 07:02 PM
dakel
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Hi Boris,
I always love seeing your posts. My favourites were 3,4,5,9,18,27,28,32,36,37,39,44. Those are the ones that really caught my eye. I also know it can be difficult to photograph landscapes in SE Asia. When I was in Halong Bay (5 years ago) I was really hoping to get some killer sunrise/sunset shots. But the weather never coooperated as the clouds always snuffed out the light. So well done from me.

Oct 12, 2017 at 09:20 PM
123_Repeater

Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

As a former resident of the great kingdom you did a great job made me miss my home away from home

Oct 13, 2017 at 03:43 AM
Bobu
• • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Thanks dakel and 123_Repeater!

Oct 13, 2017 at 04:56 AM
Sirfishalot
• • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Wow, that was freakin' amazing - pure dope Boris!!!

JayT

Oct 13, 2017 at 05:37 AM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Great series Boris !!!

Oct 13, 2017 at 06:57 AM
Bobu
• • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Thanks JayT and Charles!

Oct 13, 2017 at 04:34 PM
Bobu
• • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Bobu wrote:
Another 12-24 arrived today. I will test it on the next weekend. Hopefully this one is not decentered like the first sample.

Boris

I've tried now three samples altogether of the 12-24. Two of them were unsharp on the right side / right corners, even stopped down and one was soft one the left side. I give up with this lens.

What's really frustrating: One of the samples I had tested had perfectly sharp edges and corners even wide open at all focal length, but sadly only on the left side. I think if you manage to find a perfectly centered sample it's a fantastic lens.

If anybody (in Europe) want's to sell a perfect sample of the 12-24, I'm very interested.

Until something better arrives I will stay with the Batis 18. The extreme corners of the Batis are also slightly soft but much much better then the bad corners of the three 12-24 samples I tried.

Boris

Oct 13, 2017 at 06:09 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Boris thanks for sharing with the exif intact. I specially enjoy the scooter shop photos at high iso with great detail.

Oct 13, 2017 at 07:55 PM
Bobu
• • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Thanks ken.vs.ryu!

Oct 14, 2017 at 07:47 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

LightShow
• • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Very impressive set, thank you for sharing them.

Oct 22, 2017 at 05:45 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Boris, only saw this thread now. Great stuff, as ever!
N 14, 17, 18, 21, 22, 23, 25, 28, 32, 40, 42 are my favorites, for varying reasons.
n22, 25, 28, 32 are my favorites among favorites, and, if I could keep only one, or had only wall space for only one, it would be n32.
As it happens, the 4 which I chose happen to have very nice and co-operating light. But, as we both know, what do I know compared to some experts?
So please accept these heartfelt congratulations from your padawan

Oct 22, 2017 at 07:42 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Bobu wrote:
I've tried now three samples altogether of the 12-24. Two of them were unsharp on the right side / right corners, even stopped down and one was soft one the left side. I give up with this lens.

What's really frustrating: One of the samples I had tested had perfectly sharp edges and corners even wide open at all focal length, but sadly only on the left side. I think if you manage to find a perfectly centered sample it's a fantastic lens.

If anybody (in Europe) want's to sell a perfect sample of the 12-24, I'm very interested.

Until something better
...Show more

Sorry to hear that Boris.

Mine was weak on the lower right side, and I sent it in to Precision Camera in the US. It came back much better. I can't say that it's perfect, but it is "functionally adequate" for my use and provides results I can't achieve with any other zoom or match in weight with multiple primes.

My Loxia 21 is in a similar situation -- not perfect, but functionally adequate. I've debated sending it in, but haven't had sufficient proof of lens misalignment vs. body mount misalignment. And the majority of pictures are fine. At some point, I have to stop testing, and just shoot pictures. I'm not saying lowing my standards -- it's just a matter of time and money and will it actually be achievable to pursue.

BTW -- After looking back over the images, #14 is my favorite. Runners up are the first shot and #4.

Oct 22, 2017 at 08:12 PM
Bobu
• • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Thanks Lightshow, Philippe and Jim!

@Jim: I have very good experience with the Zeiss service in Oberkochen. I did send my Loxia 21 to Zeiss because it was very slightly decentered and it returend perfectly centered.
I just don't have the same trust in the Sony service in Germany. It is outsourced to an independent company with questionable reputation.

Not sure what to do. I would really like a perfectly centered 12-24 (at least one which is perfectly centered in the range 12-18mm, I could live with some defects from 20-24mm since I have the Loxia 21mm).

If the sample variation of the 16-35 GM is much better compared to the 12-24 I could try this one instead. But from what I've read this is not guaranteed.

Boris

Oct 24, 2017 at 06:36 PM
bvinh
• •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Thanks for sharing. Simply stunning!

Oct 25, 2017 at 01:29 PM
thenoilif

p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Great shots.
Just spent a weekend in Kanch. The greenery is really popping right now with all the rain and the sunsets over the river are spectacular over there.

Oct 25, 2017 at 01:53 PM
Bobu
• • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

bvinh wrote:
Thanks for sharing. Simply stunning!

Thanks!

Oct 26, 2017 at 06:57 PM
Bobu
• • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

thenoilif wrote:
Great shots.
Just spent a weekend in Kanch. The greenery is really popping right now with all the rain and the sunsets over the river are spectacular over there.

Thanks! Have you shot some images in Kanchanaburi? If yes, have you posted them somewhere? I would be very interested to see them.

Boris

Oct 26, 2017 at 06:59 PM
wastedimages

p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Thank you for sharing, I really enjoyed those...

Oct 30, 2017 at 07:56 PM
Bobu
• • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Thanks wastedimages!

Nov 01, 2017 at 07:29 PM
1       2       3      
       5       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end