FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

Archive 2017 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

The Loxia will give you better sun stars and better flare. I just repurchased one myself

Oct 09, 2017 at 03:45 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

I could't ever give up my Loxia 21. Still I like the FE12-24 and I have a good copy . . . thanks Guy!

Oct 09, 2017 at 04:07 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Bobu wrote:
By the way I couldn't resist and ordered another 12-24 today :-)

I hope it works out great for you!

It might be a bit much to expect equal performance at f/4 to the Loxia 21, but it is very good. I particularly like mine between f/5.6 and f/8 -- generally f/8 whenever I can. Mine is also very good at 24mm. I don't find it particularly better at one focal length than another. I prefer the DOF at around f/6.3-8.0 throughout the focal range, even the UWA settings.

Oct 10, 2017 at 12:19 AM
snowboarder
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

I have to be honest, this is not as good as your other sets.
I guess it proves how much it matters to get good weather. Your light is simply boring,
no exciting clouds, no dramatic skies, just some vacation photos taken in the mid-day conditions.

Oct 10, 2017 at 07:20 AM
Bobu
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

snowboarder wrote:
I guess it proves how much it matters to get good weather. Your light is simply boring,
no exciting clouds, no dramatic skies, just some vacation photos taken in the mid-day conditions.

Andrew, I have no problems with constructive criticism and I have no problems if you don't like my images. But some parts of your comment are simply wrong.
On many many days in Thailand I got up very early and startet hiking and/or driving long before sunrise. Or stayed up until it was completely dark. Even on several of our boat trips we started in complete darkness one hour before sunrise. Many of the images above were shot at sunrise or sunset. For the waterfall images I often returned several times to the same places to get the best cloudy conditions with soft light.
And since it was rainy season there were many many clouds in the sky, as you can see in my images. I'm pretty sure you won't find much better conditions in Thailand. It's not Iceland or Lofoten. It's different.

Putting so much effort in my photography and trying really hard to get the best out of a certain location and then reading that my images look like 'boring vacation photos taken in the mid-day' is simply insulting.

Boris

Oct 10, 2017 at 11:57 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

snowboarder wrote:

Andrew - it's not cool to pop up every six months or so and say something as dumb as this.... You easily could have made your point with a different choice of words.

Oct 10, 2017 at 12:29 PM

p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Boris, you slay. I compare this to what I did shoot during my visit to Thailand in late January / early February, and this is so much on a next level.

Oct 10, 2017 at 12:31 PM
newtophoto
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

I for one loved this set. Now I'm looking at a loxia 21...

Oct 10, 2017 at 08:13 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Fantastic image set. Thanks.

K-H.

Oct 10, 2017 at 08:16 PM
snowboarder
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Bobu wrote:
Andrew, I have no problems with constructive criticism and I have no problems if you don't like my images. But some parts of your comment are simply wrong.
On many many days in Thailand I got up very early and startet hiking and/or driving long before sunrise. Or stayed up until it was completely dark. Even on several of our boat trips we started in complete darkness one hour before sunrise. Many of the images above were shot at sunrise or sunset. For the waterfall images I often returned several times to the same places to get the best cloudy conditions
...Show more

Sorry you feel this way, "insulting"? Seriously? People are very sensitive these days...
It's not Iceland or Lofoten - agree. Still it's not enough to "put so much effort". It requires some luck.
You simply didn't have any luck and it shows. If you return to the same location 10 times, it doesn't matter
until you get a dramatic sky or dramatic light. If you don't the viewer doesn't care or feels bad for your effort.
On my side I feel "insulted" you felt my comments were insulting
You should know by now I respect you and your photography, also for the effort you put into it.
But I still think those photos are not great. BTW with this kind of bad light, there is very little,
if any, difference if they were shot with an iPhone. Long exposure waterfalls maybe require something "better",
but everything else I could shoot with my iPhone and the result would be the same.
There is no shortcuts, if mother nature doesn't offer you the most rewarding light, there is nothing you can do.

Oct 11, 2017 at 04:19 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Boris, you have some very nice shots here. I think #10, #17, #18, #22, #45, & #46 are all A to A+ shots. That said I think there were some big challenges, perhaps because of the rainy season. I find the color of the water in a lot of the shots, #35 is a good example, to be less than pleasant. In fact, I didn't really find the water attractive in almost all of the waterfall shots. This just may be a thing with me, but I think it is a real challenge when shooting waterfalls. Too much runoff and the the water looks murky at least where it pools. But that might be just me. As Gunzaro noted, a couple of images have motion blur that bother me (e.g., the tree in the upper right on #13). I would chalk these all up to the challenges of shooting at the time of year you were shooting. Thanks for sharing, you really did have some stellar images even if a few I wasn't wowed by, and I think it goes without saying that you are among the best if not the best of any of the photographers that posts here.

Oct 11, 2017 at 05:27 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Little trick in Photoshop for running water. Take your paint brush tool pick a pure white color than knock the opacity down to like 10 and paint in the highlights a little white to brighten them up. You could also use a dodge tool for the same effect to lighten but that does not really add a white brilliance to it. Something to try to taste. Eyes, teeth all benefit from this technique just try not to over due it. Play with the opacity here but don’t try to do it in one shot, do a slow build up till it looks good to your eye.

Oct 11, 2017 at 08:53 AM
Bobu
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Thanks Gary, Snopchenko, newtophoto, K.H., Steve and Guy!

Oct 11, 2017 at 02:06 PM
Bobu
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

snowboarder wrote:
Sorry you feel this way, "insulting"? Seriously? People are very sensitive these days...
It's not Iceland or Lofoten - agree. Still it's not enough to "put so much effort". It requires some luck.
You simply didn't have any luck and it shows. If you return to the same location 10 times, it doesn't matter
until you get a dramatic sky or dramatic light. If you don't the viewer doesn't care or feels bad for your effort.
On my side I feel "insulted" you felt my comments were insulting
You should know by now I respect you and your photography, also for the effort you
...Show more

I think our main disagreemant are the shooting conditions in Thailand. In my opinion I had quite good conditions with clouds and nice light and your expected dramatic sky and dramatic light are extremely rare events in Thailands, which can probably be observed only a few days a year.
Just look at Google for Thailand landscape images and see how many of them have the dramatic conditions you are looking for.

And for the waterfall shots the soft light was perfect and I wouldn't get any better images in different light.

Regarding your iPhone comment: I've just reviewed 2000 iPhone 7+ images from my last trip to Namibia and the IQ difference to the A7RII + Loxia/Batis images was very obvious, even in bad light. No surprise.

Boris

Oct 11, 2017 at 02:20 PM
Bobu
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Steve Spencer wrote:
Boris, you have some very nice shots here. I think #10, #17, #18, #22, #45, & #46 are all A to A+ shots. That said I think there were some big challenges, perhaps because of the rainy season. I find the color of the water in a lot of the shots, #35 is a good example, to be less than pleasant. In fact, I didn't really find the water attractive in almost all of the waterfall shots. This just may be a thing with me, but I think it is a real challenge when shooting waterfalls. Too much runoff
...Show more

Thanks Steve for your detailled feedback and your kind words.

I fully agree, that the water color doesn't look too attractive in some of the images. But it was often muddy and there isn't much you can do about this, besides some local adjustments as suggested by Guy. But I'm not sure I really want to do this.
Most of the waterfalls would probably be less muddy in dry season but then most of the waterfalls would also be much smaller or completely dry. So this is no real alternative.

Boris

Oct 11, 2017 at 02:35 PM
Bobu
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

GMPhotography wrote:
Little trick in Photoshop for running water. Take your paint brush tool pick a pure white color than knock the opacity down to like 10 and paint in the highlights a little white to brighten them up. You could also use a dodge tool for the same effect to lighten but that does not really add a white brilliance to it. Something to try to taste. Eyes, teeth all benefit from this technique just try not to over due it. Play with the opacity here but don’t try to do it in one shot, do a slow build up till
...Show more

Thanks Guy for your tip. I've used a similar technique in the past to adjust the brightness of the water (both lighter and darker). What I haven't done yet is to use a brush tool to locally adjust the color of the water. And I'm not sure I really want to do this.

Boris

Oct 11, 2017 at 02:44 PM
Bobu
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Another 12-24 arrived today. I will test it on the next weekend. Hopefully this one is not decentered like the first sample.

Boris

Oct 11, 2017 at 02:45 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Bobu wrote:
Thanks Guy for your tip. I've used a similar technique in the past to adjust the brightness of the water (both lighter and darker). What I haven't done yet is to use a brush tool to locally adjust the color of the water. And I'm not sure I really want to do this.

Boris

Totally understand and working on the muddy look water is really tough to do. I know many folks just process and post but many little tricks like the dodge tool work awesome on highlighted colors of flowers and such. Just makes things jump. But do try some a little of these tips out to enhance images. Be surprised how well they look

Oct 11, 2017 at 03:10 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Nice set of images Boris! Thanks for sharing. #25 and #27 are some of my favorites. Cheers!

Edited on Oct 12, 2017 at 11:27 AM · View previous versions

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:27 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Bobu wrote:
Thanks Steve for your detailled feedback and your kind words.

I fully agree, that the water color doesn't look too attractive in some of the images. But it was often muddy and there isn't much you can do about this, besides some local adjustments as suggested by Guy. But I'm not sure I really want to do this.
Most of the waterfalls would probably be less muddy in dry season but then most of the waterfalls would also be much smaller or completely dry. So this is no real alternative.

Boris

I totally agree about the issue with waterfalls. They can be quite difficult. I think people can think that shooting waterfalls is easy, but it can be very difficult in some areas as you try to get the right circumstances. Too much rain and the water looks muddy. Too little rain and there is little water flow. In places near mountains with fairly steady snow melt, waterfalls can be predictable with clean clear water, but in places without snow capped mountains like in the US midwest and Ontario in which I am familiar too much rain and the water turns muddy and too little rain and the waterfalls don't have good flow. Then there is the issue of getting the light right as well and I agree that softer light works better and you did achieve that in your shots. Anyway, it looks like the area of Thailand in which you shot, has a situation more like the US midwest and Ontario in which shooting waterfalls are difficult.

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:55 AM
1       2      
       4       5       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.