Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
  

Finally pulled the trigger
  
 
boshek
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Finally pulled the trigger


Just ordered a XT-2, 16-55 and 90mm, grip and batteries. Is the 50-140 the next logical lens for events/family portraits/weddings tia


Aug 10, 2017 at 07:48 PM
dmacmillan
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Finally pulled the trigger


Congrats! I hope it turns out to work well for you.

The mention of weddings made me think of the film days. I shot weddings on Mamiya C330s, Hasselblads, Mamiya 645s and even did formal with the RB67. What I would have given to have a camera as nimble as the X-T2!



Aug 10, 2017 at 09:22 PM
boshek
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Finally pulled the trigger


dmacmillan wrote:
Congrats! I hope it turns out to work well for you.

The mention of weddings made me think of the film days. I shot weddings on Mamiya C330s, Hasselblads, Mamiya 645s and even did formal with the RB67. What I would have given to have a camera as nimble as the X-T2!



I'm not selling any Nikon gear until I see how this behaves, ty for the input



Aug 11, 2017 at 02:27 AM
BokehBeauty
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Finally pulled the trigger


boshek wrote:
Just ordered a XT-2, 16-55 and 90mm, grip and batteries. Is the 50-140 the next logical lens for events/family portraits/weddings tia


Congrats. For events and weddings the XF 50-140mm is an indispensable lens for me. Its OIS and sharpness right from f2.8 give you freedom when shooting. And the 1.4 teleconverter matches very well. Just the bokeh with punctual highlights in the background is not always to my liking. Your grip should balance its weight.



Aug 11, 2017 at 03:15 AM
ajamils
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Finally pulled the trigger


Yep, like other poster said, get the 50-140 plus the TC and you'll be good to go.

I'm rocking a 3 red badge zoom kit. 16-55, 50-140 and 100-400 along with TC. These lenses cover everything that I'll ever want to shoot. Might pick 56/1.2 for extreme low light or the upcoming Macro lens.

boshek wrote:
Just ordered a XT-2, 16-55 and 90mm, grip and batteries. Is the 50-140 the next logical lens for events/family portraits/weddings tia




Aug 11, 2017 at 05:26 AM
dmldl123
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Finally pulled the trigger


nice! I just ordered 10-24. I have the 35mm f/2, 90mm f/2, and 50-140mm 2.8. its a great lens, you should add it to your collection.


Sep 12, 2017 at 03:27 AM
Alanu
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Finally pulled the trigger


For events work I would say the 50 to 140 is a mandatory lens for any run gun type of events work.

I prefer the 56 mm focal length over the 90 mm. Less screaming involved communicating with the subjects at far distances :-) I guess there's always a time and place for 56 mm or 90 mm depending on the venue size.

If you're a 24 mm prime FF user I'd highly recommend the 16mm Fuji lens. If you're a 35 mm field of view lover my recommendations would be to get the fast glass 23 mm prime.

While you're analyzing your Fuji gear make a note of how many times you get this indicator ..... !AF

This will tell you if you can rely on your auto focus in low contrast low light situations for wedding applications . This is something you will notice between your Nikon gear and Fuji in low light demanding applications. Pitch dark or low light reception your Nikon will never fail you and be incredibly predictable. Your clients will not know if you miss a money shot during a spontaneous act but you will....... In low light the fuji will slow down in AF and is much more noticeable when your urgently trying to get a shot.

I love my fuji a lot but I also rely on my non Nikon gear ...Canon since I have complete confidence in low light, high iso applications.




Sep 12, 2017 at 07:28 AM
memoria
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Finally pulled the trigger


Alanu wrote:
While you're analyzing your Fuji gear make a note of how many times you get this indicator ..... !AF

This will tell you if you can rely on your auto focus in low contrast low light situations for wedding applications . This is something you will notice between your Nikon gear and Fuji in low light demanding applications. Pitch dark or low light reception your Nikon will never fail you and be incredibly predictable. Your clients will not know if you miss a money shot during a spontaneous act but you will....... In low light the fuji will slow down
...Show more

This is what worries me. I've been thinking about a pair of X-T2's for a long time, since I do full-day weddings and my FF Canons are getting heavier and heavier - no, wait...I'm getting older and older :-)

Anyhoo... so how do you define low-light... a normal wedding reception (think indoors, maybe candles)?

Would it handle the dance-floor later on? Or just hunt?

To bad if the AF will fail. I'm thinking a pair of Fujis would be great for weddings. Small and light enough to carry around for 14-16 hours, good lens-lineup and the hard to beat Fuji-colors on top of that.



Sep 12, 2017 at 05:14 PM
drewmey
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Finally pulled the trigger


Alanu wrote:
This is something you will notice between your Nikon gear and Fuji in low light demanding applications.


The "demand" threshold is always different for everyone, but I have not noticed much difference between my old Canon 6D focusing in the dark which if I remember had a pretty good center point in terms of acquiring focus in low light. If anything, I am finding it easier because I have so many more focus points placed all over the screen. No need to focus and recompose anymore.



Sep 12, 2017 at 06:06 PM
Mike Tuomey
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Finally pulled the trigger


Alanu wrote:
While you're analyzing your Fuji gear make a note of how many times you get this indicator ..... !AF

This will tell you if you can rely on your auto focus in low contrast low light situations for wedding applications . This is something you will notice between your Nikon gear and Fuji in low light demanding applications. Pitch dark or low light reception your Nikon will never fail you and be incredibly predictable. Your clients will not know if you miss a money shot during a spontaneous act but you will....... In low light the fuji will slow down
...Show more

True for me as well. After 3 years of Fuji X for club and event shooting, the one (and really only) area where Fuji falls down for me is lowlight AF, specifically where the subject is backlit or near specular highlights. (Very often the case in stage and event lighting.) I have missed more than a few money shots as a result.

drewmey wrote:
The "demand" threshold is always different for everyone, but I have not noticed much difference between my old Canon 6D focusing in the dark which if I remember had a pretty good center point in terms of acquiring focus in low light. If anything, I am finding it easier because I have so many more focus points placed all over the screen. No need to focus and recompose anymore.


respectfully disagree - not a "demand" threshold unless of course you don't shoot into the light or into high contrast backgrounds. a canon 6D will nail this situation, in my experience. if the light is uniformly dark, then yes fuji AF is comparable. but i don't see uniform darkness at clubs, events, and stages. (ok, maybe that is my "demand" - i relent.)

memoria wrote:
This is what worries me. I've been thinking about a pair of X-T2's for a long time, since I do full-day weddings and my FF Canons are getting heavier and heavier - no, wait...I'm getting older and older :-)

Anyhoo... so how do you define low-light... a normal wedding reception (think indoors, maybe candles)?

Would it handle the dance-floor later on? Or just hunt?

To bad if the AF will fail. I'm thinking a pair of Fujis would be great for weddings. Small and light enough to carry around for 14-16 hours, good lens-lineup and the hard to beat Fuji-colors on top of
...Show more

as i mention above, where the xt1 and xt2 AF fail me is not uniform but mixed contrast low light. The more extreme the contrast, the worse the performance. i love the light weight, the lenses, the colors, the haptics ... don't get me wrong. just calling attention to the deficit, because it is frustrating to have 3 minutes to cover a performer's cut and lose precious moments to focus misses.




Sep 12, 2017 at 10:18 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Alanu
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Finally pulled the trigger


memoria wrote:
This is what worries me. I've been thinking about a pair of X-T2's for a long time, since I do full-day weddings and my FF Canons are getting heavier and heavier - no, wait...I'm getting older and older :-)

Anyhoo... so how do you define low-light... a normal wedding reception (think indoors, maybe candles)?

Would it handle the dance-floor later on? Or just hunt?

To bad if the AF will fail. I'm thinking a pair of Fujis would be great for weddings. Small and light enough to carry around for 14-16 hours, good lens-lineup and the hard to beat Fuji-colors on top of
...Show more

Please note I'm genuinely not trying to bash Fuji since I do love and enjoy shooting with this system. I will however be vocal about the limitations that I do find present with this autofocus system.

Unlike canon or Nikon the Fuji system cannot utilize the red focus assist from an infrared beam from a speed light. I know with many speedlights you can use the infra red focus assist but deactivate the flash bulb. I cannot stress the stomach turning feeling I get when that symbol !AF shows me I cannot focus with my Fuji system. I'm getting that indicator of no focus even with fast primes like my 16mm and 56 mm lens . I bounce flash a lot and my Canon camera gear never misses a beat!!! Only human error on my part will miss a shot!! Fuji on the other hand I've sometimes gotten frustrated ......borderline feel like throwing the camera against the wall as AF stops completely This happened with my X-E2, X-T10 and X-T2. I've never had that type of frustration with my Canon.

I am at ease when I shoot with my canon as it has not failed me in autofocus. Even the flagship Fuji body will slow down which makes me extremely uncomfortable taking photos of pivotal moments. I can document split-second spontaneous events with my canon gear but I cannot say the same for a Fuji XT2 which cannot keep up with the similar hit rate of a Canon or Nikon system.

I urge you to test Fuji gear on casual events that are not hired events. I have made my Fuji gear as a secondary system for pleasure or when there is ample light. Serious events when focus is critical I will only use my canon.

I know some photogs will fully agree with me and then there are others that have more tolerance than I do.

For a good 90% of my photography in life the Fuji is spectacular in "eye candy" fuji render. However that other 10% is ULTRA critical. This is where I've had many discussions with local photogs and an extremely high percentage of them echo identical feelings towards Fuji AF hiccups during pivotal moments. Interesting enough many I've spoken too are also primary Canon/Nikon shooters that cannot let go of incredibly reliable AF.



Sep 13, 2017 at 03:16 PM
memoria
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Finally pulled the trigger


Alanu wrote:
Please note I'm genuinely not trying to bash Fuji since I do love and enjoy shooting with this system. I will however be vocal about the limitations that I do find present with this autofocus system.

Unlike canon or Nikon the Fuji system cannot utilize the red focus assist from an infrared beam from a speed light. I know with many speedlights you can use the infra red focus assist but deactivate the flash bulb. I cannot stress the stomach turning feeling I get when that symbol !AF shows me I cannot focus with my Fuji system. I'm getting
...Show more

Thanks for very useful information!

I have booked an X-T2 rental for this weekend. I have 4 hour wedding booking to cover on Saturday, but I plan to stay a bit longer off the record and test it. I will not charge the client for that so if the AF fails, at least the images are not paid for. If they are OK - I will just hand them the jpegs. Win-Win



Sep 13, 2017 at 07:49 PM
Pavel
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Finally pulled the trigger


and the flash sucks. But I still am a faithful Fuji acolyte.


Sep 13, 2017 at 09:28 PM
Alanu
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Finally pulled the trigger


memoria wrote:
Thanks for very useful information!

I have booked an X-T2 rental for this weekend. I have 4 hour wedding booking to cover on Saturday, but I plan to stay a bit longer off the record and test it. I will not charge the client for that so if the AF fails, at least the images are not paid for. If they are OK - I will just hand them the jpegs. Win-Win


If you can please get that rental with a battery booster. Be warned the "booster" mode will still eat the 2 batteries pretty quick. I use "normal" and allow the batteries in the booster to die first. The internal battery in the camera is left untouched as far as current draw is concerned.

Also note even fast primes will have !AF in low contrast low light situations. In some cases you'll even get AF confirmation but the focus will back focus behind the subjects. This is with the $$ EF-X500 Flagship Fuji flash too!

If you have decent light you'll be able to get beautiful photos. Not slamming fuji because I shoot alot of family documentation with it. I'm trying to say it's that good!!! I wouldn't settle for mediocre IQ for personal family documentation.

I love UWA and the 10-24 is a dog in low light. I am very likely be buying the new UWA f/2.8

What lenses are you going to rent




Sep 13, 2017 at 09:54 PM
cputeq
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Finally pulled the trigger


Alanu wrote:
Please note I'm genuinely not trying to bash Fuji since I do love and enjoy shooting with this system. I will however be vocal about the limitations that I do find present with this autofocus system.

Unlike canon or Nikon the Fuji system cannot utilize the red focus assist from an infrared beam from a speed light. I know with many speedlights you can use the infra red focus assist but deactivate the flash bulb. I cannot stress the stomach turning feeling I get when that symbol !AF shows me I cannot focus with my Fuji system. I'm getting
...Show more

I've shot events with mirror less including my XT2 and I concur. I will say practice definitely mitigates some of this including jumping to MF mode.



Sep 14, 2017 at 12:32 AM
Alanu
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Finally pulled the trigger


cputeq wrote:
I've shot events with mirror less including my XT2 and I concur. I will say practice definitely mitigates some of this including jumping to MF mode.


No doubt it would take practice with MF for me. I'm not the sort that has really practiced manual focus.

I'm not resistant to learn in doing such a thing. I know I'd be rewarded with fuji render doing so....

However I truly don't mind using heavier gear for hired events. I just feel that I have more rewards getting Canon render with beautiful sharp distinct sunflares, flash bursts and in available low light shooting AF getting usable 12800 to 25600 ISO with my 5d4.

So far I'm not getting the sunflares with distinct clean blades/flares or beautiful stars from flash burst that I'm accustomed to when shooting remote flash with my Canon gear.

I've just have to try to handle stomach turning feelings when fuji !AF effects my groove when I'm in the zone shooting an event. Knowing me I know I couldn't recover into MF fast enough to capture a split second money shot. Due to my personal reactions to these situations I must stick with a mirrrored bodies. I know for certainty I will never miss a spontaneous moment due to gear behavior. I will have 100% of the operator to blame for that






Sep 14, 2017 at 02:30 AM
cputeq
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Finally pulled the trigger


Alanu wrote:
No doubt it would take practice with MF for me. I'm not the sort that has really practiced manual focus.

I'm not resistant to learn in doing such a thing. I know I'd be rewarded with fuji render doing so....

However I truly don't mind using heavier gear for hired events. I just feel that I have more rewards getting Canon render with beautiful sharp distinct sunflares, flash bursts and in available low light shooting AF getting usable 12800 to 25600 ISO with my 5d4.

So far I'm not getting the sunflares with distinct clean blades/flares or beautiful stars from flash
...Show more

Yeah I smell what you're stepping in I actually prefer a big DSLR for paid or critical work, they just typically perform better 'under pressure'. I'm blessed to not have to shoot those situations, though, so I went fully mirrorless



Sep 14, 2017 at 02:34 AM
Alanu
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Finally pulled the trigger


cputeq wrote:
Yeah I smell what you're stepping in I actually prefer a big DSLR for paid or critical work, they just typically perform better 'under pressure'. I'm blessed to not have to shoot those situations, though, so I went fully mirrorless


I've tried to shoot Fuji in some stressful situations but it's so easy for me to blindly grab my mirrored bodies and put the fuji back in the gear bag.

When I'm in casual mode I feel that the Fuji is a gift in my hands I really dig the fuji "look".

I think if I was more into a transformation to a mirrorless dedicated guy I'd be buying the 23mm f/2, 50mm f/2, 16-55 and 50-140 for faster AF characteristics.

Honestly my limited fuji gear I own I can cover a huge portion of my personal photography as well as a second body to my Canon primary body (when I shoot two bodies during a shoot).

I truly suck at MF when i attempt it I just get into a groove when shooting AF and I just zone out into my shoot. MF is just something I get distracted with at this moment in time. I'm just spoiled with relying on AF all this time



Sep 14, 2017 at 02:49 AM
memoria
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Finally pulled the trigger


This surely is not what I was hoping for. I've always thought that AF accurracy was one of the main benefits when using mirrorless on-sensor AF. No need for micro-adjustments, back/front focus gone and so on.

This seems to be the exact opposite? I guess the only solution is to keep a FF Canon and some flashes for those low-light scenarios.



Sep 14, 2017 at 09:36 AM
memoria
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Finally pulled the trigger


Alanu wrote:
If you can please get that rental with a battery booster. Be warned the "booster" mode will still eat the 2 batteries pretty quick. I use "normal" and allow the batteries in the booster to die first. The internal battery in the camera is left untouched as far as current draw is concerned.

Also note even fast primes will have !AF in low contrast low light situations. In some cases you'll even get AF confirmation but the focus will back focus behind the subjects. This is with the $$ EF-X500 Flagship Fuji flash too!

If you have decent light you'll be able
...Show more

Good tip about the batterygrip. I'll check with the store.

I've only booked an X-T2 and the 35/1.4. Will keep it as a third camera and "test" it between the official shooting (using my 5D4 and 6D2) and for a while afterwards...



Sep 14, 2017 at 09:39 AM
1
       2       end






FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password