Rules & Guidelines | PayPal Gift Warning
How to post Feedback | How to Red-Flag a thread

FM Forums | Buy & Sell Photo-Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Sold: (US/Canada) (LN) Canon 200 f/2.0

PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sold: (US/Canada) (LN) Canon 200 f/2.0

Item updated in the last 24 hours Item price reduced in the last 24 hours   EF 400mm f/4 DO IS USM

Item Sold

Price: $2,650.00
Payment method: PayPal
Item condition: 8+ Shows moderate wear or finish marks
Shipping instructions: Canada Post/USPS expedited

The lens set ("U" mfr.year) which is offered for sale here includes the lens itself, hood, front and rear caps, case with its key, and the Canon strap, as shown on the first picture below.
(Sorry, there is no user's manual and no Canon box.)

I had to rate the lens condition as "excellent" (EX), and not (EX+), because of the following blemishes:

(1) A lens element has a small (a few sq mm) and hard to notice smudge (not a scratch, and not fungus) perhaps made during the lens assembly. The smudge is hard to see and even harder to photograph.
The lens has a less-than-typical/normal amount of dust in it for its vintage.

(2) The bottom of the foot as well as the hood mounting flange finishing coat has been touched up with the Canon lacquer.

The lens is perfectly functional, having IQ fairly typical of good copies of that lens model (Please see this topic with several recent images taken with the lens: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1501824 )

I had Canon install a new IS assembly a couple of years ago, so that should be working fine for many years to come. The AF drive is fast and silent, the MF ring is nicely snug and works smooth which is rather uncommon for an older lens of that type.

The hood is in a very good condition. The hood needs to be "jiggle" (dis)mounted because it is a little bit snug, as it is often the case with Canon's supertelephoto lenses. However, before long you will figure out how to do it quickly and easily.

The case and the front dust cap are also in a good condition.

The price is $2,650 US and IT INCLUDES Canada Post/USPS expedited shipping to Canada/ConUS and Paypal fees. (No trades)
If you pick up the lens locally, I'll take $200 US off that price.

• • •

Item updated in the last 24 hours Item price reduced in the last 24 hours   EF 50mm f/1.0L USM

Item Sold

Price: $3,300.00
Item condition: 9 Shows signs of use, but very clean

The lens comes with its hard shell case, the hood, and a good quality protective filter ( B+W MRC).
Its fabrication code is UE0902. (Practically all of 50 f/1.0 made are of the same "UE" vintage.)

The lens is almost dust free inside, better than any other 50 f/1.0 I've had in my hands.

As far as IQ and AF is concerned, the lens is very good. I've seen one or two only which have been sharper wide open than this copy, but I've also seen many which were softer.

The lens has a small nick on the barrel (see the enclosed pictures).

The AF drive is somewhat noiser than other 50 f/1.0 lenses I've owned, however, since I got 6 years ago the lans has worked flawlessly.

The price is $3,300 US and IT INCLUDES Canada Post/USPS expedited shipping to Canada/ConUS and Paypal fees. (No trades)
If you pick up the lens locally, I'll take $100 US off that price.

• • •

Item updated in the last 24 hours Item price reduced in the last 24 hours   EF 200mm f/2L IS USM

Item Withdrawn

Price: $4,190.00
Item condition: 10 Preowned equipment, but appears as new

The lens set comes as complete as when new, including the carton box as well as the packing materials. I will also throw in a Jobu replacement foot which is currently mounted on the lens.
The lens is in LN condition, because I have used my 200 f/1.8 more often, so the 200 f/2 has been largely "neglected" from day one.
I bought the lens brand new from B&H in 2009, shortly after they first came out.
The lens serial No. fell under the firmware recall which was completed by Canon CPS a while back, and I have their receipt to that effect.

The price is $4,190 US and IT INCLUDES Canada Post/USPS expedited shipping to Canada/ConUS and Paypal fees. (No trades)
If you pick up the lens locally, I'll take $200 US off that price.

Edited on Sep 08, 2017 at 12:16 PM · View previous versions

Aug 05, 2017 at 01:14 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sold: (US/Canada) (LN) Canon 200 f/2.0

For me the iconic 50 f/1.0 has been the most risky lens to buy by far. The reason is not so much in its prodigious age, the concern is in a large number of inferior copies in circulation which yield poor IQ wide open. Obviously, for all practical intents and purposes, the lens is not repairable, and there are not many people in Canada /US I'd trust with making adjustments on it.

There is a number of 50 f/1.0s on eBay in seemingly excellent cosmetic condition, yet they are generally priced quite steeply, and their performance is in question. Similarly with B&H, Adorama and KEH, I do not think they really know much about 50 f/1.0s they have been selling here and there.

Buying 400 DO MkI is a bit of a crap shoot too because a number of copies have been observed/reported as being soft, although the problem is not as pronounced as it is with 50 f/1.0.

Aug 05, 2017 at 02:25 AM
buggz

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sold: (US/Canada) (LN) Canon 200 f/2.0

Wow!
Is this your last 50/1.0L ?

I STILL have the one you sold to me some years ago.
STILL works great, and I STILL LOVE IT!

BTW, for everyone, this is a GREAT person to purchase from!
I'm STILL glad I did!

buggz/buggz2k, yeah, somehow the accts got messed up.
Still me, Ed.

Aug 08, 2017 at 01:18 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sold: (US/Canada) (LN) Canon 200 f/2.0

buggz wrote:
Wow!
Is this your last 50/1.0L ?

I STILL have the one you sold to me some years ago.
STILL works great, and I STILL LOVE IT!

BTW, for everyone, this is a GREAT person to purchase from!
I'm STILL glad I did!

buggz/buggz2k, yeah, somehow the accts got messed up.
Still me, Ed.

Thank you, Ed, I am happy to hear you are still enjoying your 50 f/1.0. There is simply no lens like it, and probably never will be from Canon.
Indeed, this is my fourth and last 50 f/1.0, but it has not been used in a long time, therefore might as well pass it onto someone who will enjoy it.
Cheers, and all the best.
Peter

Aug 08, 2017 at 01:46 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sold: (US/Canada) (LN) Canon 200 f/2.0

No reasonable offer will be turned down !

(Please note I decide what is "reasonable", and what is not.)

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:05 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sold: (US/Canada) (LN) Canon 200 f/2.0

Bumper

Aug 21, 2017 at 01:30 AM
ptweet

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sold: (US/Canada) (LN) Canon 200 f/2.0

Won't Canon bring the soft 50s to upstanding condition?

Aug 21, 2017 at 01:43 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sold: (US/Canada) (LN) Canon 200 f/2.0

ptweet wrote:
Won't Canon bring the soft 50s to upstanding condition?

Canon Japan could not make all brand new 50 f/1.0 copies consistently sharp 30 years ago, never mind doing it today....... Canon USA or Canon Canada techs would not know where to start. However, that does not really matter, because today Canon does not accept 50 f/1.0 lenses for any type of work, even if we are talking cleaning or calibration only.

Aug 21, 2017 at 03:21 AM
riokid
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sold: (US/Canada) (LN) Canon 200 f/2.0

PetKal wrote:
No reasonable offer will be turned down !

(Please note I decide what is "reasonable", and what is not.)

You are a very reasonable man Peter, and I am happy when your reason and mine coincides

Aug 21, 2017 at 02:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sold: (US/Canada) (LN) Canon 200 f/2.0

Well, Dan, let's just say I have a soft spot for good FM oldtimers.

Aug 21, 2017 at 11:23 PM
riokid
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sold: (US/Canada) (LN) Canon 200 f/2.0

PetKal wrote:
Well, Dan, let's just say I have a soft spot for good FM oldtimers.

I'll drink to that

Aug 21, 2017 at 11:36 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sold: (US/Canada) (LN) Canon 200 f/2.0

bumper

Aug 22, 2017 at 11:59 AM
hudsonCAD

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sold: (US/Canada) (LN) Canon 200 f/2.0

PetKal, I'm looking for a 50mm 1.0. Where are you located? I'm in Hamilton, Ontario

Aug 22, 2017 at 10:04 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sold: (US/Canada) (LN) Canon 200 f/2.0

hudsonCAD wrote:
PetKal, I'm looking for a 50mm 1.0. Where are you located? I'm in Hamilton, Ontario

West GTA.

Aug 22, 2017 at 10:19 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sold: (US/Canada) (LN) Canon 200 f/2.0

bumper

Aug 24, 2017 at 12:31 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sold: (US/Canada) (LN) Canon 200 f/2.0

Thank you Andrew, always a great pleasure doing business with an upstanding man and an experienced photographer who knows what he wants.

Aug 24, 2017 at 04:14 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sold: (US/Canada) (LN) Canon 200 f/2.0

In very low light, I like to shoot marsh birds using 300/400 f/2.8 lenses, because anything f/4 or slower doesn't cut it. Now, in REALLY low light, 200 f/2.0 (and 200 f/1.8) is the only lens that can do the job well enough. Granted, at 200mm FL gotta come close enough to them birds.

Similarly, when shooting fast BIF, no lens can quite touch the 200 f/2 performance, although 300 II comes close 2nd. Again, that assumes one can get close enough to the birds.

Edited on Sep 18, 2017 at 09:38 AM · View previous versions

Sep 07, 2017 at 11:52 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sold: (US/Canada) (LN) Canon 200 f/2.0

bumper

Sep 15, 2017 at 12:26 AM

FM Forums | Buy & Sell Photo-Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password