Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

How to get these sports shots sharper.

agelessphotog
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How to get these sports shots sharper.

Using AF-C, upping shutter as much as I can. Any other recommendations? Gear is a Nikon D750 50 1.8G lens, Flashpoint 600 strobe...

DSC_4804 by Renee Crabtree, on Flickr

Jul 25, 2017 at 03:18 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How to get these sports shots sharper.

Just a guess without any exif info and assuming the focus is good.... To freeze action with the camera you need a fast shutter speed and high speed sync for the flash... or freeze the action with the flash/strobe. To freeze the action with the strobe you need a couple things.. 1. Be at least two stops under exposed with your ambient light. 2. a strobe or flash with a short enough flash duration otherwise you'll get ghosting. Can't tell what you've got here with no exif and the limited resolution of the image... Good idea though...

Jul 26, 2017 at 12:05 AM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How to get these sports shots sharper.

Repost with exif in tact so others can review and provide the feedback you a wanting.

Matt

Jul 26, 2017 at 05:32 PM
cocodrillo
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How to get these sports shots sharper.

Get the hurdle pointing the correct distance down the track and see if the hurdler can not sky the barrier? Right... not what you mean by sharper.

Have you gone through the whole image to see if there is a point that is sharp? Could it be that the focus point is off? What are you doing with post-processing? If you shoot raw you can do some wicked stuff with sharpening through the raw converters. Otherwise, what the gents above have said... big separation between ambient light and strobe, and make sure the strobe is going off at a very fast duration, like quicker than 1/2000th. That probably means dialing down from full power to something like 1/4 or 1/8, depending on your kit.

Jul 26, 2017 at 06:11 PM
gschlact
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How to get these sports shots sharper.

You alost did it right.
.. you illuminated the runner at least two stops above ambient

What we don't know without the exif is the shutter speed nor aperture.
.. if shutter speed was not high speed sync, then the softness issue is one of two things.
....A. the depth of field was too shallow based on your aperture/distance - at 10 feet and f1.8 59mm, dof is ~1ft, so some of the areas will be sharper than the rest. At f5.6 it is about 4ft.
....B. you always have to remember pixels on the 'duck'. You have about 9-10ft top to bottom in the frame, and her head/face is about 1/10 of the frame. Now divide your total top to bottom 4025 pixels by 10 giving you 400 for a 10inch face so only 40 sensor pixels of detail per inch. You can't expect that much detail from 40 ppi. Minimally, for viewing on screen at 100percent aim or >100ppi if you are going to want satisfactory detail.

Jul 27, 2017 at 05:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

photogwannabe

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How to get these sports shots sharper.

Exif shows on Flickr if you click the photo. F3.5; 1/400; ISO 320.

I'd go to 2.8 or lower seeing as you're using a 1.8 lens. I'd also up to ISO as you're shooting a D750 and it can do really good higher ISOs. I'd also up the shutter speed to around 1/600. Hope that helps.

Aug 05, 2017 at 05:43 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How to get these sports shots sharper.

If it was me, I would set up using two Einstein flashes set to high speed sync, then set my shutter speed 1/800 and set my shutter f4, adjust my ISO appropriately. I would be able to put camera in high speed shutter and I would get her take off, clearance and landing.....PS the sequence with all ghost except the clearance......if I was shooting in landscape as you are....otherwise I would put the camera in portrait mode for the type shot you have above and I would move a lot closer......placement of the Einsteins will be important as they come down on power when you high speed sync them (flashes as well) but they will be able to keep up with the high speed shutter no problem.....might even go to 1/1200.....as you are just catching the strobe which is mucho faster than any shutter speed, but the faster shutter will let the high speed drive chatter along!

Aug 06, 2017 at 04:16 PM
gschlact
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How to get these sports shots sharper.

Came over from FM.
Panning for action shots is to create a blurry effect in the background. Your goal here was a sharp image of the runner and you attempted with 1/400. Panning would be wrong and could add pixel blurr if not done near perfectly. Instead use shutter and flash for stopaction as you attempted. If you find where the sharpest part of your image is located, and still don't feel it s sharp enough, the I contend it is pixels on the duck. Ot providing enough resolution based in distance and FL.

The front hand has motion blurr, the front foot is likely outside the dof. I am not certain about her face whether she thrust is forward at time of capture, some motion blurr even at 1/400. Look at 100% view on your end at the writing or other parts of the stationary hurdle and decide if it gave enough sharpness for expectation. If not definitely pixels on the duck, especially if image stabilization was off.

Aug 12, 2017 at 05:55 PM
osv2

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How to get these sports shots sharper.

as others have indicated, 1/800th is the bare minimum for shooting action, i use 1/2500th whenever possible... putting an hss flash on the shot does not change that requirement, and of course this is not a panning situation.

need a longer lens as well, which was also mentioned above.

i would never use autofocus in this situation, because it's a perfect manual focus scenario... squat down, use liveview & magnification to focus on the center of the crossbar, then stand up, and if you catch her face in the same focal plane as the crossbar, like you did in this shot, it'll be in perfect focus... if you want to shoot her face just beyond the crossbar focal plane, step to the left whatever distance you need.

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:54 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password