Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Capture One Pro 10 - reasons not to use it?

form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Capture One Pro 10 - reasons not to use it?

I'm trialing it right now. I've spent about 45 minutes with it so far, and about 90% of it is more responsive - however when pasting adjustments it stupidly seems to want to adjust cropping so that vertical images are cropped horizontally. I don't get that.

But it only takes about 1-2 seconds to render a full 1:1 preview in screen, and adjustments are instantaneous and easier to fine tune than LR.

However, it's crashed once within the first 20 minutes, but it's currently still rendering previews too...maybe an excess workload crash?

So...why not use it instead of LR?

Jul 17, 2017 at 09:18 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Capture One Pro 10 - reasons not to use it?

Each version I try it and very quickly realise it just isn't the work flow tool LR is for us.

C1 is all about having a hot session directory for tethered shooting then working extensively on a few selects. It is made for fashion, product and other ad/commercial stuff. In very crude term it is kinda like PS and bridge mashed together and hy it spews sidecar files everywhere.

LR is for event photographers like us (+pj, sports etc.) who shoot, work through, and deliver large volumes of files with much less time intensive work on individual shots. It's database structure is what makes it shine here.

Jul 17, 2017 at 09:29 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Capture One Pro 10 - reasons not to use it?

Mastin Presets

Jul 17, 2017 at 09:44 PM
dmendlik
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Capture One Pro 10 - reasons not to use it?

As a working professional sports shooter I use C1 on a daily basis and once you understand the workflow you can easily go thru several thousand images a day. Being able to correct images with keyboard shortcuts and the ability to copy and paste via keystrokes as well can be huge time saver.

I have never seen it copy/paste the crops wrong. Did you copy from a vertical shot to a horizontal photo? That might make sense why the crops appeared to paste wrong. If not I would put in a tech support case with Capture One, they are pretty responsive.

Jul 17, 2017 at 10:01 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Capture One Pro 10 - reasons not to use it?

Yes I copied from a vertical shot to a horizontal one, and it cropped the horizontal vertically...obviously I've never had that kind of thing happen in LR.

Also, how do you get a Samyang 14mm lens profile? I've looked for ways but haven't found any. I thought of the alternative of possibly importing some xmp files from lightroom with the Samyang profile corrections for the specific images, but without some way to profile the 14mm I just can't use C1P for the 14mm.

Jul 17, 2017 at 11:28 PM
ahaug
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Capture One Pro 10 - reasons not to use it?

I am back to c1p. The raw conversion engine gives me such a nice place to start. I love seeing what my gear is capable of. I could never get Lr to get me excited. I do think that Lr is probably a better tool for the working event shooter but I just don't like it ... although I tried ... mastin labs and all

Jul 18, 2017 at 03:41 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Capture One Pro 10 - reasons not to use it?

Got a funny coincidence: When LR5 has crashed it's never, ever given me a warning. I installed C1P today, worked with it for an hour, then went back to my current LR catalog. Hours later, I am working in LR, then it crashes...BUT it politely tells me that it had an error in the menus and should restart. To date, LR has never warned me in 5+ years.

Isn't that vierd? (goldmember reference my GF uses all the time.) The coincidence is almost as amazing as last week when I got a call from Godaddy after transferring my website to a new server, and they asked me if everything was good, and they mentioned security that they had never discussed before...and then 2 hours later I got an email saying my website was compromised by malware, and so I called, and they told me "Your site's wide open, man!" and I noted the amazing coincidence of timing and having never had a malware issue to-date, and I was sarcastic and he wanted to hang up on me but couldn't because it would've been unprofessional to do so, and he ended up selling me basic security.

These days, coincidences seem to be happening almost every week.

Jul 18, 2017 at 03:46 AM
myam203
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Capture One Pro 10 - reasons not to use it?

Know how LR will bring up a dialog box (with check boxes for all of the adjustments available) when you sync images or copy from one to another? Well, C1 doesn't bring up a dialog box automatically, it just defaults to copying everything you've made adjustments to, including crop. You have to change the setting for that.

As far as using C1 for weddings, it can totally be done, but it's not quite as straightforward as LR, in my opinion. It's more practical for other types of photography, generally.

Jul 18, 2017 at 04:13 AM
voidsherpa

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Capture One Pro 10 - reasons not to use it?

myam203 wrote Well, C1 doesn't bring up a dialog box automatically, it just defaults to copying everything you've made adjustments to, including crop. You have to change the setting for that.

There is an "Adjustment" panel that does the exact same thing. It lets you select what to copy and paste to each image.

Jul 18, 2017 at 04:24 AM
myam203
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Capture One Pro 10 - reasons not to use it?

I know, but you have to seek it out, so I'm saying he's probably overlooking that.

Jul 18, 2017 at 04:35 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

form
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Capture One Pro 10 - reasons not to use it?

Being that I only used the program for an hour, there are probably a lot of things I overlooked. Naturally I tried to convert it to a LR-like interface, or rather what I wish LR would be (moved all the options I use most in LR to a single settings window, etc.).

Jul 18, 2017 at 05:20 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Capture One Pro 10 - reasons not to use it?

OK now that all the previews have loaded, switching between single images in C1P (arrow key or other methods) now seems to take FOREVER...ironically an instantaneous behavior in LR. Why, after being fast the first day, is that action so slow now? And why does it frequently delay when I delete/remove photos from my catalog? And why does it seem to not always acknowledge delete commands?

Jul 19, 2017 at 07:45 AM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Capture One Pro 10 - reasons not to use it?

form wrote:
OK now that all the previews have loaded, switching between single images in C1P (arrow key or other methods) now seems to take FOREVER...ironically an instantaneous behavior in LR. Why, after being fast the first day, is that action so slow now? And why does it frequently delay when I delete/remove photos from my catalog? And why does it seem to not always acknowledge delete commands?

now you got the reason why not to use it instead of LR (0:

heiko

Jul 19, 2017 at 11:42 PM
ahaug
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Capture One Pro 10 - reasons not to use it?

Never had this problem with c1p. use the support. Its probably something simple. The program works faster than lr imho.

Jul 20, 2017 at 03:58 AM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Capture One Pro 10 - reasons not to use it?

I dislike either application for processing as they require importing all my files before I can begin culling. I want to first sort images into wedding segment folders (B&G getting ready, group, family, ceremony, first dances, etc.) and then cull the files and then rename the files so they are sequential and clients don't worry about missing files.

They also get in the way with my archival process as I have the images on a external NAS with RAID5 and also on two internal drives configured for RAID1 before I start doing any sorting and culling. I never want to lose an important file and this process guarantees me that this cannot happen.

The catalog/library process is fairly crude as DAM applications go and not really suited for multiple users working on different computers with the same set of files. I will do preliminary work on a Windows 7 tower and then build the album on a Mac Pro workstation and being able to go to any file anywhere with any computer is very important to my overall productivity and to insuring that an important file or files are not accidentally deleted.

Aug 01, 2017 at 09:59 PM
Geoff CB
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Capture One Pro 10 - reasons not to use it?

Advantages of C1: Default processing is better. Skin color controls are fantastic. Better curves and exposure, and color balance controls. Skintones lean toward pink.

Lightroom: Workflow, flagging, and comparing images. Noise Reduction, defringing (Where C1 really is worse). Photoshop integration. Skintones lean toward natural.

Aug 07, 2017 at 12:35 PM
ahaug
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Capture One Pro 10 - reasons not to use it?

I read an article about getting lr to look like cp1. It has a preset that does actually get very close to looking like cp1. I'm happy now that I can outsource the work with that as my preset. That is a win for me.

Aug 14, 2017 at 01:51 AM
Steven Leong

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Capture One Pro 10 - reasons not to use it?

Having switched from LR to C1Pro some months ago, the only thing I miss in C1Pro is LR's ability to select photos based on specific metadata easily like selecting all tele shots or shots by a specific camera. That was very useful for weddings and other event work as I regularly work with multiple photographers using multiple cameras.

Aug 18, 2017 at 01:52 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Capture One Pro 10 - reasons not to use it?

Steven Leong wrote:
Having switched from LR to C1Pro some months ago, the only thing I miss in C1Pro is LR's ability to select photos based on specific metadata easily like selecting all tele shots or shots by a specific camera. That was very useful for weddings and other event work as I regularly work with multiple photographers using multiple cameras.

That would be a big no go for me too. I keep looking each new rev.... but not quite there for me.

Mark

Aug 18, 2017 at 02:03 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password