New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Advice near Vegas

znikon5
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Advice near Vegas

Hi all, I am planning a trip to Las Vegas in September and have Tuesday - Friday. I was thinking of flying into Vegas and driving to Bryce Canyon national park, staying there for Tues/Wed, then driving to Zion national park for Wed/Thurs, and then going to Death Valley for Thurs/Fri. Does that sound like a reasonable plan? Just trying to spend a little time and see the highlights of each park. Planning to stay in local hotels and venture out for morning/evening shoots with some easy hiking in between. Thank you.

Jul 17, 2017 at 01:31 PM
mdude85
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Advice near Vegas

Bryce and Zion are totally doable (assuming you get an early start from LV), but I think another park would be stretching it. I'd try for at least 1 full day in Bryce and at least 2 full days in Zion. I imagine it would be pretty darn hot in Death Valley in September.

Jul 17, 2017 at 02:42 PM
znikon5
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Advice near Vegas

mdude85 wrote:
Bryce and Zion are totally doable (assuming you get an early start from LV), but I think another park would be stretching it. I'd try for at least 1 full day in Bryce and at least 2 full days in Zion. I imagine it would be pretty darn hot in Death Valley in September.

Thanks for info.

Actually just realized partner wants to go to Grand Canyon/Antelope Canyon/Horshoe Bend instead of the Utah national parks. So will plan on these areas.

Jul 17, 2017 at 03:05 PM
mdude85
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Advice near Vegas

Horseshoe Bend only takes an hour. I would go at sunset, it's pretty cool.

Jul 17, 2017 at 03:56 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Advice near Vegas

It might be too much driving and not enough foot/camera time but you could do the loop. LV to Zion, Zion to Page, Page to South Rim, then back to Vegas or the other way around but if willing to study it some more I think I'd go this way. Depends on when you can leve LV and need to get back. But if going to Page, why not come back the other side?

Jul 17, 2017 at 10:16 PM
GroovyGeek
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Advice near Vegas

Yeah, getting all the way to page and back to LV is a looong drive. If you absolutely insist on a third park try Valley of Fire or Little Finland. Both are on the way to Zion.

Jul 17, 2017 at 10:55 PM
MalbikEndar
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Advice near Vegas

I drove past Horseshoe Bend and a couple weeks ago and it was VERY busy with a full parking lot and cars parked on the side of 89.

Personally I will not go to Antelope Canyon again. There are other options that are cheaper (unguided) or more expensive (guided) that will have far fewer people. If you feel you really must go to Antelope Canyon- good luck.

Jul 17, 2017 at 11:52 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Advice near Vegas

znikon5 wrote:
Thanks for info.

Actually just realized partner wants to go to Grand Canyon/Antelope Canyon/Horshoe Bend instead of the Utah national parks. So will plan on these areas.

Vegas - North Rim G.C. - Page (Jackalope, Horseshoe) - Buckskin Gulch - Vegas makes a nice loop.
(Although even this is 660+ miles = 12+ hours sitting in the car....)
Other neat en-passant destinations include Vermillion Cliffs, Cathedral Wash, Waterholes Canyon, Stud Horse Point, Wahweap Hoodoos (a hike), Pariah Movie Set, Red Canyon slot, Coral Pink Dunes, Snow Canyon, etc.

But PLEASE don't try to 'hit' all of these in the tragically limited time you have available!

As suggested, if you're gonna visit Horseshoe, do so at sunrise or sunset. And allocate some time to allow you to wander ~1/4+ mile along either rim from the main tourist tarpit where everyone seems to cluster. IMO, the northern (up-river) rim has the most interesting views and rock formations. If you go far enough, you encounter a huge side canyon and eventually - a mile beyond - you come to the inside rim of the next 'big bend' in the river.

Jul 18, 2017 at 12:57 AM
tsinsf

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Advice near Vegas

Las Vegas to Page (near Horsehoe Bend) is 4h 20 minutes, not an hour (according to Google Maps)

Jul 19, 2017 at 03:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

znikon5
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Advice near Vegas

Hi guys,
I've reworked my itinerary and was hoping for your thoughts.

Day 1 - Arrive in Vegas, Drive to Page, AZ, Sunset at Horseshoe Bend
Day 2 - Morning photo tour in Antelope Canyon, Drive to Monument Valley, Sunset at Monument Valley
Day 3 - Sunrise at Monument Valley, Drive to Page for Lake Powell Lunch, Drive to Grand Canyon North Rim for Sunset at Point Royale
Day 4 - Sunrise in Grand Canyon North Rim, Drive to Grand Canyon South Rim, Sunset at Grand Canyon South Rim
Day 5 - Sunrise Grand Canyon South Rim, Drive to Vegas

Aug 07, 2017 at 06:30 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Advice near Vegas

You seem to have some major backtracking which I'd try to avoid, if nothing else to cut out some of the driving time. Perhaps first day, Vegas to North Rim. You'll get some added time to explore the area and/or enjoy Zion some as you go through. Day 2 after morning at North Rim, got to Page area. You should have time to get in an Antelope Canyon tour and Horseshoe Bend , etc., day. Day 3, head to Monument Valley (although to some extent, I wonder if this is adding more driving and less enjoying. Day 4 would allow you to then go Back and South Rim. Day 5, to Grand Canyon.

So you see or drive through a variety of areas but kind of wonder if having more time to wander fewer areas might be more comfortable than spending less time and more driving.

Aug 08, 2017 at 02:17 AM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Advice near Vegas

IMO, M.V. is too far out of the way. (To say nothing of visiting BOTH? G.C. rims?!) Driving there and back will kill ~5 hours that could be MUCH better spend hiking some slot canyon or Hoodoo forest.
I'd "settle" on the Page - Kanab corridor, with one or two sides of Zion or Bryce or N.rim.

Get a comfy car, you'll be spending a LOT of time it.

Aug 08, 2017 at 04:16 AM
znikon5
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Advice near Vegas

Hi guys thanks for the advice.

My understanding is Vegas to Page is ~4 hours. So then we have a night there. The following day the drive to Monument is only ~2 hours and we have a night there. Are you referring to the long drive back from Monument to North Rim? It seems like that's about 4 hours with a stop by Lake Powell so not too bad. We may not drive as much while in Grand Canyon and then the drive back to Vegas a day or two later is 4 hours. That's not too bad when broken up...also, if you're saying Grand Canyon North and South Rim may be too much, how would ya'll spend 1.5 days in the Grand Canyon? Thanks so much.

Aug 08, 2017 at 12:00 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Advice near Vegas

The initial routes offered up on Google, etc., are not necessarily the "best" routes. For example, if you adjust the route from LV to Page to go through Zion and then south to Fredonia and 89A, you will pass through Zion, then be comparatively close to the North Rim, see the Vermillion Cliffs, Marble Canyon, Navajo Bridges and the like to enter Page from the south. That's closer to 6 hours. Taking 59 to 389 then 89 is faster but I'm not sure it's as interesting or scenic.

It's been too long since taking 89 versus 89A between Fredonia/Kanab and Page to say for sure but we used 89a the last trip felt the eastern stretch was enjoyalbe. Driving up through the Kaibab Plateau after leaving the Vermillion Cliffs (going west) was nice but not too different than other forested area drives.

Although it is quite a bit faster to go north around the Grand Canyon from Vegas than it is to go around the south side if going to Page. So while maybe we suggest less driving and more walking around, photography, seeing things, than driving, being selective about routing can help make some of the car time more tolerable.

Aug 08, 2017 at 05:47 PM
Adam Schallau
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Advice near Vegas

Have you checked to see if there is lodging available at the North Rim? I'm on both rims quite a bit and it can be a challenge to secure lodging unless you're planning months in advance. It's not impossible, especially if you can keep checking for cancellations.

Aug 09, 2017 at 03:52 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Advice near Vegas

thats so much driving. I understand you want to try to see as much as possible, but too much time in the car for me. I would just focus on a few areas, and you won't be rushed.

Aug 11, 2017 at 04:24 PM
Colin F
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Advice near Vegas

Dustin Gent wrote:
That's so much driving. I understand that you want to try to see as much as possible, but too much time in the car for me. I would just focus on a few areas, and you won't be rushed.

This.

Aug 11, 2017 at 04:46 PM
znikon5
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Advice near Vegas

We're going to limit it to only 1 rim as it's a 5 hour drive from rim to rim. I'm thinking South Rim since more populated and safer and it's my first time to explore the canyon.

Aug 14, 2017 at 12:36 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password