New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Advice near Vegas

znikon5
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Advice near Vegas

Hi all, I am planning a trip to Las Vegas in September and have Tuesday - Friday. I was thinking of flying into Vegas and driving to Bryce Canyon national park, staying there for Tues/Wed, then driving to Zion national park for Wed/Thurs, and then going to Death Valley for Thurs/Fri. Does that sound like a reasonable plan? Just trying to spend a little time and see the highlights of each park. Planning to stay in local hotels and venture out for morning/evening shoots with some easy hiking in between. Thank you.

Jul 17, 2017 at 01:31 PM
mdude85
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Advice near Vegas

Bryce and Zion are totally doable (assuming you get an early start from LV), but I think another park would be stretching it. I'd try for at least 1 full day in Bryce and at least 2 full days in Zion. I imagine it would be pretty darn hot in Death Valley in September.

Jul 17, 2017 at 02:42 PM
znikon5
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Advice near Vegas

mdude85 wrote:
Bryce and Zion are totally doable (assuming you get an early start from LV), but I think another park would be stretching it. I'd try for at least 1 full day in Bryce and at least 2 full days in Zion. I imagine it would be pretty darn hot in Death Valley in September.

Thanks for info.

Actually just realized partner wants to go to Grand Canyon/Antelope Canyon/Horshoe Bend instead of the Utah national parks. So will plan on these areas.

Jul 17, 2017 at 03:05 PM
mdude85
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Advice near Vegas

Horseshoe Bend only takes an hour. I would go at sunset, it's pretty cool.

Jul 17, 2017 at 03:56 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Advice near Vegas

It might be too much driving and not enough foot/camera time but you could do the loop. LV to Zion, Zion to Page, Page to South Rim, then back to Vegas or the other way around but if willing to study it some more I think I'd go this way. Depends on when you can leve LV and need to get back. But if going to Page, why not come back the other side?

Jul 17, 2017 at 10:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

GroovyGeek
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Advice near Vegas

Yeah, getting all the way to page and back to LV is a looong drive. If you absolutely insist on a third park try Valley of Fire or Little Finland. Both are on the way to Zion.

Jul 17, 2017 at 10:55 PM
MalbikEndar
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Advice near Vegas

I drove past Horseshoe Bend and a couple weeks ago and it was VERY busy with a full parking lot and cars parked on the side of 89.

Personally I will not go to Antelope Canyon again. There are other options that are cheaper (unguided) or more expensive (guided) that will have far fewer people. If you feel you really must go to Antelope Canyon- good luck.

Jul 17, 2017 at 11:52 PM
Greg Campbell
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Advice near Vegas

znikon5 wrote:
Thanks for info.

Actually just realized partner wants to go to Grand Canyon/Antelope Canyon/Horshoe Bend instead of the Utah national parks. So will plan on these areas.

Vegas - North Rim G.C. - Page (Jackalope, Horseshoe) - Buckskin Gulch - Vegas makes a nice loop.
(Although even this is 660+ miles = 12+ hours sitting in the car....)
Other neat en-passant destinations include Vermillion Cliffs, Cathedral Wash, Waterholes Canyon, Stud Horse Point, Wahweap Hoodoos (a hike), Pariah Movie Set, Red Canyon slot, Coral Pink Dunes, Snow Canyon, etc.

But PLEASE don't try to 'hit' all of these in the tragically limited time you have available!

As suggested, if you're gonna visit Horseshoe, do so at sunrise or sunset. And allocate some time to allow you to wander ~1/4+ mile along either rim from the main tourist tarpit where everyone seems to cluster. IMO, the northern (up-river) rim has the most interesting views and rock formations. If you go far enough, you encounter a huge side canyon and eventually - a mile beyond - you come to the inside rim of the next 'big bend' in the river.

Jul 18, 2017 at 12:57 AM
tsinsf

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Advice near Vegas

Las Vegas to Page (near Horsehoe Bend) is 4h 20 minutes, not an hour (according to Google Maps)

Jul 19, 2017 at 03:59 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password