Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

The pitch

bu82

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The pitch

Long time "lurker", finally registered to post. Never felt I had anything worth posting, but got serious this past year, and with that gained more courage.

I was reading a lot about "The Detrich" type photos and how to get them, and tried one time, but instead found I preferred selective focus on the pitcher like here, with the ball still in the frame, and the feeling like you are there "with the batter". Had to shoot this through the fence with a 400mm f/2.8, but after a few tries (with the umpire out of the way and me moving around and changing my focus point to get him out of the way), I think I got it. C & C welcome!

Edited on Sep 13, 2017 at 01:40 PM · View previous versions

Jul 17, 2017 at 01:02 PM
PureMichigan
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The pitch

Very nice, colorful capture. Love players who wear colorful accessories -- gloves etc... black batting gloves here and it's still a good shot, but slightly less "appealing."

I do a lot of these behind-the-fence-pitcher shots at the MiLB games I work. It's interesting how moving six inches in either direction makes a huge difference with these. I'll shoot a couple bursts then move six inches either way until I find that sweet spot. In a perfect world you can see some action on the pitcher -- a glove in the air -- his foot etc.. but this is nice image for sure.

If you are in Lightroom, get the correction brush, swipe under the brim of the pitcher's cap where the shadow is -- move the shadow slider to the right very slightly and I think this would make it pop a little more.

Nice shot and thanks for sharing!

Jul 17, 2017 at 01:21 PM
Jeff Self

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The pitch

Love it!

Jul 17, 2017 at 08:07 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The pitch

The facial expression of the pitcher is great but usually, I like a little more of the pitcher for reference. Arm action follow through, high leg kick etc. Also, the batter is taking up a little more real estate than I prefer.

Jul 17, 2017 at 09:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bu82

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The pitch

You guys are correct, and as PureMichigan said, in a perfect world, you would see some action from the pitcher. I tried, but it's very hard to line it up and capture it. When I did, I found the image looked a lot more common and less interesting for some reason. For me, I like these because of the colors and facial expression. There were many batters, but I saw this guy with the colorful gloves (which match with the background), so I only shot him up at bat.

I also think it would be better if the proportions of the batter and pitcher were closer, but that's hard to also get, and in a way this puts the viewer closer to what the batter sees. Anyway, that's how I justify it

Here's another one from that series. I like the stare down and how the umpire on the left and batter on right frame the pitcher's face. Again, I think even though the arm and ball are missing, the expression makes the image. At least for me.

Edited on Sep 13, 2017 at 01:40 PM · View previous versions

Jul 18, 2017 at 12:42 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The pitch

Yes, this one is better.

Jul 18, 2017 at 01:16 PM
bu82

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The pitch

But they are different, depicting different things.

Jul 20, 2017 at 01:24 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password