Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

How to "Make a name" for yourself, or at least ...

RyanMichael

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How to "Make a name" for yourself, or at least start.

Forgive me if there is already a board for this but I am fairly new to this site, I have the most basic question yet the hardest to find answers for. I want to know what some of you did to start your photography business or how you got your first photo published. I am only 21 years old i have time to get the ball rolling but I want to get it rolling now so I am not stressing about it in the near future when the ball should already be rolling. I am open for critiques, the painful truth, anything. I do not personally know anyone who is a professional photographer or anything like wise. I have used google to try to find answers but it almost seems like the blogs I've read aren't the truth, in fact I know it's not all rainbows and butterflies. Like I said i want to know the painful truth about starting my own photography business. My website is www.ryanjohnson.photos feel free to tell me how you feel. I know my friends and family wont tell me that they don't like it so I need someone/people to tell me the truth. The only way to get better is to find your flaws, so point them out to me. Thank you all ahead of time and like I said I apologize if this is not allowed/already discussed and if so let me know and I will remove post.

Jul 16, 2017 at 07:48 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How to "Make a name" for yourself, or at least start.

There is a Pro Digital Forum contained here within FM. Reading through many of the posts might give you a better feel.

I wish I could answer your question, but there are too many unknowns. Not only about you and the type of photography you want to do, but due to advancements in technology, also the future of professional photography in general. Or, I should say, the ability to make a good living at it.

My advice, have a career plan you can fall back on. You need to pay the bills. Become educated if you are not already in a desired and valued trade, like a welder, machinist, a mechanic, etc. Or become a professional like a CPA, a Dentist, Doctor, or lawyer. Not having the ability to pay bills also means you cannot buy gear. You cannot survive in today's world on $1,000 a month.

The people I know, in the landscape photography genre, they have it very tough. First, it can take years to build a legitimate portfolio, then sales... you might need a gallery or two, plus writing books, doing guiding, etc.... And of course you can't do that unless you're positioned and (ideally) living in a popular location. Of course, you may show up there thinking "Here I am, and I can kick butt." Until you realize there are 15 other like minded people there...

I know that some high end fashion photographers got their start by working as assistants to established photographers, so you could seek those people out. That's what I'd do, if it's the direction I wanted to go. And also perhaps get a degree in fine art or photography...

That sounds sort of negative... Yikes, but my real point is, you have to make a living..

Oh, and where you have Macomb listed, I assume that is not Macomb Illionois?

Jul 17, 2017 at 04:15 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How to "Make a name" for yourself, or at least start.

RyanMichael wrote:
I want to get it rolling now so I am not stressing about it in the near future when the ball should already be rolling. I am open for critiques,
. I know my friends and family wont tell me that they don't like it so I need someone/people to tell me the truth. The only way to get better is to find your flaws, so point them out to me. Thank you all ahead of time and like I said I apologize if this is not allowed/already discussed and if so let me know and I will
...Show more

.. As stated in a previous response .. you should have a backup plan. While it may pay to "suffer" in order to become an artist (photographer), that pay most likely will not carry over to pay the bills. Everyone today has a camera.

You might look into something like Getty Images ..it could give an indication of a market you might fit into, and associated pay rates .. Wedding Photography probably pays the best .. maybe seek out someone there you could apprentice for .. learn the business and get some experience.

Post an image or two in one of the Presentation Forums and ask for Critique ..there is also a dedicated Photo Critique board here.

As a side.. I think Stress is going to be some part of life at least until age forty or so .. it won't necessarily go away then, but it's easier to get along with .. like wine, it can mellow with age ..

Jefferson

Jul 17, 2017 at 08:03 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password