New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Caroline Senior Portraits

friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Caroline Senior Portraits

Congratulations to friscoron for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 11 votes - View Previous Winners

Went to Starved Rock State Park here in IL a few weeks ago, and one of my senior ambassadors' family is from there, so she asked if she could do her first senior session down there. I was happy to do the shoot, with one location at some waterfalls at Starved Rock, then to her grandparents' house, and finally at a grain elevator for a rustic background.

This is just a small sample of her shoot, doesn't really include a full body shot, other than her sitting on her grandparents' porch. Not a lot of smiles, but I do deliver these same shots with smiles to parents. Lately, it seems a lot of them are choosing the soulful expressions that appeals so much to me. Just wanted to share a couple pictures of a senior session.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4208/35282703570_9122f2fde9_b.jpg

2. Note: Part of rocking chair in bottom right of frame is there intentionally.
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4098/35669799155_f4b6bf7911_b.jpg

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4283/35500837642_3d5cec8214_b.jpg

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4057/35630138746_d53777353b_b.jpg

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4080/35500833142_58105a4357_b.jpg

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4289/35669793845_2b55252085_b.jpg

Jul 02, 2017 at 08:42 AM
Mar73
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Caroline Senior Portraits

Ron,
As usual with your work it's hard to pick a favorite.
I love the location in #1.
#2 is classic and I'll bet her grandparents will think it's priceless.
#3 is simple and stunning.
Love the personality in #4.
#5 is my favorite but I do have one comment. There is a little to much detail shown in her hands IMO. I would try to soften them or reduce the clarity or something.
#6 is much like #3, simple and stunning. I like the camera angle.

Marty

Jul 02, 2017 at 10:45 AM
Vcook
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Caroline Senior Portraits

I love #2, what seems like a simple shot but is just so well done, nailed it.

That red chippy paint in 5 and 6 is a great backdrop.

Jul 02, 2017 at 10:54 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Caroline Senior Portraits

Do I see a littLe slow shutter and second curtain synch in #1? All are solid, but I really like #5. Sometimes incorporating the background enhances the photo.

Jul 02, 2017 at 11:36 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Caroline Senior Portraits

Mar73 wrote:
Ron,
As usual with your work it's hard to pick a favorite.
I love the location in #1.
#2 is classic and I'll bet her grandparents will think it's priceless.
#3 is simple and stunning.
Love the personality in #4.
#5 is my favorite but I do have one comment. There is a little to much detail shown in her hands IMO. I would try to soften them or reduce the clarity or something.
#6 is much like #3, simple and stunning. I like the camera angle.

Marty

Thanks, Marty! Yeah, I tend to miss things like that, that's one of the reasons I like posting here. Funny, cuz I did have to lighten her hands, and then ignored those bulging veins. This is one of those interesting sets where I couldn't pick my own fave, so I was interested to see what others liked best.

Jul 03, 2017 at 10:36 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Caroline Senior Portraits

Vcook wrote:
I love #2, what seems like a simple shot but is just so well done, nailed it.

That red chippy paint in 5 and 6 is a great backdrop.

Thanks! I absolutely loved that old grain elevator. Wish I could move that thing to Algonquin.

Jul 03, 2017 at 10:38 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Caroline Senior Portraits

dmacmillan wrote:
Do I see a littLe slow shutter and second curtain synch in #1? All are solid, but I really like #5. Sometimes incorporating the background enhances the photo.

Thanks, Doug! Yes, it's a 6-second exposure. Really, should have been a 1-second exposure with as little water as there was coming over the falls. Add the rear curtain synch but she still wasn't as sharp as I'd like, so I shot her at a faster shutter speed and then pulled that image of her into this one.

Definitely love that environment in 5.

Jul 03, 2017 at 10:40 AM
TheRoosta

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Caroline Senior Portraits

#1 is a truly challenging shot, executed magnificently IMHO. I have shot similar (group) images to this with a modicum of success, by (1) shooting the background separately then merging two image, (2) using a handheld flash to illuminate the foreground subjects partway during the exposure. What's doubly difficult with this type of scenario is producing an image that doesn't look like the subject is simply superimposed on a background. Great work.

#6 may have benefited from a little more contrast maybe? All round great shoot. Thanks for sharing.

Jul 03, 2017 at 10:55 AM
agelessphotog
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Caroline Senior Portraits

Great set. 4, 5 and 6 are my favoties just because of the expressions. What were you telling her or talking to her about in number 4 to get that great smile if you don't mind me asking?

Jul 03, 2017 at 11:41 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Caroline Senior Portraits

agelessphotog wrote:
Great set. 4, 5 and 6 are my favoties just because of the expressions. What were you telling her or talking to her about in number 4 to get that great smile if you don't mind me asking?

It's really hard to explain. I have a very stupid sense of humor. I always explain to my clients (esp teens and younger) that I'm going to ask them not to smile, but if they start smiling or laughing, just go with it. Let it out. Caroline actually couldn't really keep the straight face for very long, so if I wanted a smile or laugh, I'd just tell her how great this is looking and how she'd totally blow it if she started smiling, so whatever you do, don't smile. That alone works about 90% of the time. But as we shoot, I talk to them about their interests, and then I started telling very bad jokes about their interests, and I tell bad jokes about bad jokes, and then I threaten them with really, really bad jokes. For whatever reason, it goes across really well. It's authentic, and my seniors are constantly cracking up.

It's also kind of weird because I"m no longer the outgoing person I was in my teens and early 20s. Now, I'm perfectly happy not talking to anyone, but when I put on my photographer hat, I'm the funnest, funniest guy around.

Bottom line, I rarely ask my subjects to smile.

Jul 03, 2017 at 02:50 PM
MikeMancil
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Caroline Senior Portraits

A beautiful young lady and I really like #2 and #3, although all are well done... Mike

Jul 12, 2017 at 07:19 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Caroline Senior Portraits

MikeMancil wrote:
A beautiful young lady and I really like #2 and #3, although all are well done... Mike

Thanks, Mike!

Jul 14, 2017 at 10:32 PM
davenfl
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Caroline Senior Portraits

Fantastic images of a very beautiful young woman. Incredible work Ron. Superb, what else can I say my friend.

Dave

Jul 15, 2017 at 01:11 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Caroline Senior Portraits

Congrats Ron!

Jul 15, 2017 at 06:49 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Caroline Senior Portraits

davenfl wrote:
Fantastic images of a very beautiful young woman. Incredible work Ron. Superb, what else can I say my friend.

Dave

Thanks so much, Dave!

Jul 15, 2017 at 01:37 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Caroline Senior Portraits

dmacmillan wrote:
Congrats Ron!

Thanks, Doug!

Jul 15, 2017 at 01:37 PM
Lightsearcher
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Caroline Senior Portraits

Beautiful set, love the POV, colors and natural poses.

Marcelo

Jul 15, 2017 at 09:37 PM
BobnJake
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Caroline Senior Portraits

Ron, I will admit, you're camera "presence" is really great. Our shoot with my Nina, you really know how to bring out the best in someone, whatever it takes, you always seem to have something in your bag of tricks, that WORKS
Thanks again
Bob

Jul 16, 2017 at 05:42 PM
michaelglenn
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Caroline Senior Portraits

I absolutely love the colors in 5 and 6. Great set all around, but those last two take the cake for me. Great job!

Jul 16, 2017 at 05:52 PM
Lisa_Holloway
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Caroline Senior Portraits

Gorgeous work Ron, and gorgeous senior!

Jul 16, 2017 at 08:12 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.