New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Circular ND + Square GND...or...Square ND and GND

Ming-Tzu
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Circular ND + Square GND...or...Square ND and GND

Currently have circular NDs and want to get the square Grad NDs. I also have a circular CPL.

To make the system more streamlined, I was thinking of replacing my circular NDs with square NDs so it can be more easily stacked with the square Grad NDs in the holder. But wondering how often people stack these two together, and what people use as far as circular vs. square NDs, especially when they also have the square GNDs.

Also, if I keep the circular NDs, I wonder how easy it is to stack these with the square GNDs in the holder.

I admit that I'm not an expert so wanted to ask everyone here.

May 19, 2017 at 06:59 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Circular ND + Square GND...or...Square ND and GND

How many filters do you think you're going to stack?

May 19, 2017 at 11:43 PM
Ming-Tzu
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Circular ND + Square GND...or...Square ND and GND

sjms wrote:
How many filters do you think you're going to stack?

I don't know. One ND and one GND?

May 19, 2017 at 11:48 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Circular ND + Square GND...or...Square ND and GND

then there should be no problem

May 20, 2017 at 02:35 AM
jharter
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Circular ND + Square GND...or...Square ND and GND

Most square/rectangular filter holders have slots for two filters. So you would have no problem using an ND and a graduated ND. The downside relative to your circular ND is the possibility of light leaks around the filter which can degrade or ruin an image.

The nice thing about circular ND's is that they screw into the lens, no light leak, and you can still use the lens hood to reduce flare. The downside though is that you need multiple sizes of each filter - or if you use step up rings you lose the ability to use a lens hood and then wonder about using square filters.

May 20, 2017 at 03:02 PM
Ming-Tzu
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Circular ND + Square GND...or...Square ND and GND

Thanks!

Just wondering about the feasibility and hassles around using circular NDs and rectangular grad NDs at the same time.

jharter wrote:
Most square/rectangular filter holders have slots for two filters. So you would have no problem using an ND and a graduated ND. The downside relative to your circular ND is the possibility of light leaks around the filter which can degrade or ruin an image.

The nice thing about circular ND's is that they screw into the lens, no light leak, and you can still use the lens hood to reduce flare. The downside though is that you need multiple sizes of each filter - or if you use step up rings you lose the ability to use a lens
...Show more

May 20, 2017 at 03:04 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Circular ND + Square GND...or...Square ND and GND

I use circular nd and rectangle gnd without any issues. With the greater dynamic range cameras I'm finding less need for gnd, but when I use them, I handhold the filters.

May 20, 2017 at 06:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ming-Tzu
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Circular ND + Square GND...or...Square ND and GND

I've read that a lot of people do that and I'm trying to picture it. Wouldn't it be awkward to determine the exact location to hold the gnd while also looking at Live View? Maybe my arms are not steady enough to do that because I can picture myself finding the right spot after a few minutes and then accidentally moving it while try to take the shot haha

chez wrote:
I use circular nd and rectangle gnd without any issues. With the greater dynamic range cameras I'm finding less need for gnd, but when I use them, I handhold the filters.

May 20, 2017 at 06:25 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Circular ND + Square GND...or...Square ND and GND

Ming-Tzu wrote:
I've read that a lot of people do that and I'm trying to picture it. Wouldn't it be awkward to determine the exact location to hold the gnd while also looking at Live View? Maybe my arms are not steady enough to do that because I can picture myself finding the right spot after a few minutes and then accidentally moving it while try to take the shot haha

I actually jiggle the filter so to give it an even better transition. Sometimes during longer exposures I'll move the filter up part way through the exposure to the more brighter area. Hand holding allows much more flexibility.

May 20, 2017 at 07:13 PM
Ming-Tzu
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Circular ND + Square GND...or...Square ND and GND

Thanks for the info. I still might get a filter holder "just in case" but see where handholding would be useful.

chez wrote:
I actually jiggle the filter so to give it an even better transition. Sometimes during longer exposures I'll move the filter up part way through the exposure to the more brighter area. Hand holding allows much more flexibility.

May 20, 2017 at 07:27 PM
jharter
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Circular ND + Square GND...or...Square ND and GND

The "jiggling" of the handheld GND filter is akin to dodging on photographic paper in the darkroom. Often you have several seconds of exposure so the process is pretty forgiving.

The limitations are keeping your fingers/gloves out of the frame, dealing with short exposures which are less forgiving, and dealing with long exposures which are tedious. Also you have to be careful about bumping the lens with your hand and potential vignetting with wide angle lenses because the filter needs to stay very close to the lens.

But the beauty of it is no extra gear.

May 24, 2017 at 02:05 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Circular ND + Square GND...or...Square ND and GND

jharter wrote:
The "jiggling" of the handheld GND filter is akin to dodging on photographic paper in the darkroom. Often you have several seconds of exposure so the process is pretty forgiving.

The limitations are keeping your fingers/gloves out of the frame, dealing with short exposures which are less forgiving, and dealing with long exposures which are tedious. Also you have to be careful about bumping the lens with your hand and potential vignetting with wide angle lenses because the filter needs to stay very close to the lens.

But the beauty of it is no extra gear.

The other beauty is I get more precise control of the "dodging". With a filter holder, you are stuck with the entire exposure getting the filter affect. With hand holding, you can reduce the filter affect for a certain region by moving the filter away from that region part way through exposure. I feel if done right, it produces a more realistic affect rather than being forced to apply the filter to all the area for the entire duration of the exposure.

My exposure typically range from around 10 seconds to minutes.

May 24, 2017 at 05:42 PM
retrofocus
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Circular ND + Square GND...or...Square ND and GND

Film and DSLR: always used graduated ND filters (square ones with holder), but never any of the expensive Lee etc filters, just simple plastic ones. The cheap ones can't be stacked on top of each other since it leads to some purple fringing and loss in contrast. But one is fine - ideal for landscapes.

Mirrorless: don't use any graduated filters anymore since its effect is much harder to see in EVF and the sensor of my A7R is so good in DR that I can push shadows easily in PP.

(Full) ND filters: I use them on all my cameras/lenses to allow longer exposure time useful for waterfalls, smooth water, reflections on water etc. Sony Playmemories has a nice app called "Smooth reflection" which simulates well the effect of a ND filter if you don't have any filter with you.

Another remark in regard to full ND filters: if you are into infrared shooting, buy filters which can block IR light to allow long exposure IR photography with a converted IR camera. Most regular ND filters don't block IR light well.

May 26, 2017 at 12:54 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password