New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Looking for swap sources

mdbrown9999
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking for swap sources

I'm retired and looking for inexpensive ways to travel locally and overseas as a photographer. Most of the guided photo trips run from 2 to 10k. I'm looking for a web site or forum for photographers that would swap photo experiences. For example, as an avid Arizona photographer, I could provide transportation/guidance to the Arizona sights in exchange for their guidance/transportation in their location.

I see a few problems with this arrangement - getting ripped off or stood up. Interested in your thoughts on the topic.

thanks

May 18, 2017 at 06:16 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking for swap sources

this is an interesting idea!

May 19, 2017 at 12:53 AM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking for swap sources

I have arranged "meet-ups" with several folks on this and other forums. My aim was more about meeting them in person than getting advice, but such meetings have led to long friendships and joint outings for photography.

One can get lots of good advice on this very forum, always a good starting point. To have a meet-up and get local transportation would probably require the trust that develops over time on the forum. I personally would be willing to offer advice/transportation in my area for those on the forum who are clearly "good guys" whom I have seen on the forum over time. At the same time, I would enjoy meeting up with similar people as I travel around the country in my motor home.

May 19, 2017 at 03:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

GroovyGeek
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking for swap sources

I am not into the social aspects of photography, in fact one of the things I enjoy about landscape photography is that it is inherently a solitary activity. However, I do engage in "barter" transactions with people I know well. For example, a Canadian friend of mine has offered to take me around the rockies in the dead of winter in exchange for me showing him the Southwest. The major hurdle is logistics/schedule coordination. Given limited vacation times such barters are typically a multi-year commitment.

The chance of getting stood up/ripped off is not negligible but is, IMO, entirely manageable. I have ***never*** been ripped off by an established FM member. The folks who have been around for 5+ years are highly unlikely to mislead you. I will ship a $2k lens to such people on the promise to pay, even if we have not done business together previously.

To me the biggest risk of such arrangements with unknown parties is mismatch of expectations. To me a successful outing usually means avoiding all the icons and associated throngs, a decently stiff hike, the more off trail the better, a significant degree of planning in terms of scouting terrain and weather forecast, and willingness to change plans on a dime of the conditions call for it, even if that involves a 5 hr drive in the middle of the night. To others that means driving to the marked outlook a pre-determined date/time and playing tripod footsie with many others. One is not inherently better than the other, but if you expect one and get the other you are bound to be disappointed.

May 20, 2017 at 01:31 AM
JohnC
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking for swap sources

if you have a car and you are retired the whole western US, Canada and Mexico is at your feet.

The group tours as stated by Mr. Geek are only great if you want the same trophy shot as everyone else. Its pretty easy to get almost anwhere in the world these days and you can go fairly inexpensivelyif you go off season or catch flash sales. The photo tour sites usually state their itinerary and you can easily google the type of imagery you are interested in and take it from there. You don't need to pay multi thousands to have someone take you around or wake you up early. You can get a local car and driver/tour guide as cheap as $50/day in places you shouldn't drive such as India or Eygpt or SE Asia.

if you are on a budget just realize Antartica or Lofoten etc may not be in the cards but you could spend a month driving sround the Balkans pretty cheaply.

May 20, 2017 at 12:12 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Looking for swap sources

Like Stan, I've offered and met with a couple long-standing forum members, for a day or two around the Smokies. They had their own transportation and lodging and it was informal for sure, like pack a lunch and meet at a location, go from there. I think if you post the location you want to visit I bet there will be members here willing to do the same. I like how photographers new to an area I'm so familiar with approach a scene with fresh eyes, and I always seem to learn something on the way.

May 20, 2017 at 06:05 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password