New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Samyang/Rokinon 85mm f1.4 m43

imxkal
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Samyang/Rokinon 85mm f1.4 m43

Hello,

I been searching around all over the internet and only found a few sample images with the samyang/rokinon 85mm f1.4 lens on m43 body.
Can any one with this lens share samples images?

Thank you!

May 16, 2017 at 11:50 PM
formula4speed
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Samyang/Rokinon 85mm f1.4 m43

I don't have any samples handy, but I did mount mine on my E-M5 out of curiosity once or twice.

Honestly I think the pixel density was a bit much for it, at least near wide open. I think it's a decent enough lens on my 24mp FF camera, but I'm not overly inclined to use it on my m4/3 cameras.

If you've got the budget, I think the Olympus 75mm 1.8 is going to be a much better option.

May 17, 2017 at 01:30 PM
imxkal
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Samyang/Rokinon 85mm f1.4 m43

formula4speed wrote:
I don't have any samples handy, but I did mount mine on my E-M5 out of curiosity once or twice.

Honestly I think the pixel density was a bit much for it, at least near wide open. I think it's a decent enough lens on my 24mp FF camera, but I'm not overly inclined to use it on my m4/3 cameras.

If you've got the budget, I think the Olympus 75mm 1.8 is going to be a much better option.

You mean m43 doesn't have enough mega pixels for the lens

May 17, 2017 at 03:43 PM
formula4speed
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Samyang/Rokinon 85mm f1.4 m43

No, quite the opposite.

The pixels on m4/3 are squeezed into such a small area that it's like having a very high resolution sensor. If a full frame camera has the same pixels per area as a 16mp m4/3 camera, you would have a 63 megapixel full frame camera. At these resolutions you really start to see the weaknesses of a lens.

I don't mean to knock the 85 1.4, it's really good for it's price, but if you want to use it wide open or close to it I just don't think it manages all that well at very high resolution. The native m4/3 lenses seem better designed for these sensors.

May 17, 2017 at 04:00 PM
imxkal
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Samyang/Rokinon 85mm f1.4 m43

formula4speed wrote:
No, quite the opposite.

The pixels on m4/3 are squeezed into such a small area that it's like having a very high resolution sensor. If a full frame camera has the same pixels per area as a 16mp m4/3 camera, you would have a 63 megapixel full frame camera. At these resolutions you really start to see the weaknesses of a lens.

I don't mean to knock the 85 1.4, it's really good for it's price, but if you want to use it wide open or close to it I just don't think it manages all that well at very high resolution.
...Show more

Well, I'm not going to be doing any professional work or prints, so it should still be fine?

May 18, 2017 at 01:40 AM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Samyang/Rokinon 85mm f1.4 m43

My impression is that this lens doesn't work well on m4/3. Pixel density is probably the reason. The Samyang 135mm f/2 on the other hand works great. I have it if F-mount and use it a lot on my G85 and GX8 with an adapter. I also hear good things about the 50mm f/1.2 which comes in m4/3 mount.

May 18, 2017 at 05:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

imxkal
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Samyang/Rokinon 85mm f1.4 m43

Jorgen Udvang wrote:
My impression is that this lens doesn't work well on m4/3. Pixel density is probably the reason. The Samyang 135mm f/2 on the other hand works great. I have it if F-mount and use it a lot on my G85 and GX8 with an adapter. I also hear good things about the 50mm f/1.2 which comes in m4/3 mount.

I already have the Panasonic 25mm f1.7 so I think I'm good on the 50mm. Also the 50mm f1.2 is out of my price range

May 18, 2017 at 08:16 PM
Twigboy

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Samyang/Rokinon 85mm f1.4 m43

I have the Rokinon version in 4/3 with adapter. It is a heavy lens but quite nice, even with wider apertures. What I notice is that on M43 only a narrow center portion of the glass is used. In fact, to cut lens flare in situations, I put a step down ring (72-37mm) without any ill effects. Maybe I'm wrong, but my impression is this lens was designed for full frame (or larger?) and they just change the mounts as they go along. I don't do pro photography so the $170 I paid is ok.

I don't have any shots (that I am willing to post) but I'll try to get some examples done. There are some around. Maybe this will help: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3237592#forum-post-42085476

May 20, 2017 at 12:33 AM
imxkal
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Samyang/Rokinon 85mm f1.4 m43

Twigboy wrote:
I have the Rokinon version in 4/3 with adapter. It is a heavy lens but quite nice, even with wider apertures. What I notice is that on M43 only a narrow center portion of the glass is used. In fact, to cut lens flare in situations, I put a step down ring (72-37mm) without any ill effects. Maybe I'm wrong, but my impression is this lens was designed for full frame (or larger?) and they just change the mounts as they go along. I don't do pro photography so the $170 I paid is ok.

I don't have any shots (that
...Show more

Thank you for the link!
Finally decided to get the lens. Just need to wait for B&H's online order to go back online

May 20, 2017 at 12:54 AM
formula4speed
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Samyang/Rokinon 85mm f1.4 m43

Something to consider, if you buy it in Canon or Nikon mount you can put it on your m4/3 camera with a cheap adapter ($10-15), and then if you should decide to sell it you will have a larger target market. Since the lens has no electronics the operation would be the same.

May 20, 2017 at 02:41 AM
AmbientMike
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Samyang/Rokinon 85mm f1.4 m43

I like the 85/1.4 on m4/3. It's better at f/2, but I think it's ok at 1.4, too, and I use it at 1.4. The evf is really nice for focusing.

May 26, 2017 at 04:37 AM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password