New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4 for Pre-order

formula4speed
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4 for Pre-order

I don't think this was a surprise announcement, but the lens is available for pre-order at all the usual places for $1098. Seems like it fits between the Olympus 9-18 and 7-14 Pro options pretty well.

Not sure if I'm in at that price, still hoping for a smaller fast UWA prime.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1328548-REG/panasonic_h_e08018_leica_dg_vario_8_18mm.html

Apr 21, 2017 at 03:33 PM
Henning

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4 for Pre-order

I have the 7-14 Panasonic; this one is almost as large, if a lot lighter, than the Olympus and a fair bit of money. I think I'll have a look at the Laowa 7.5/2 that will be available for pre-order on Monday.

Also, if Panasonic gets that 50-200 f/2.8-4 out, and it works well at 200mm, I'll save up for that.

Apr 21, 2017 at 10:07 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4 for Pre-order

More interested in an excellently-performing 50-200/2.8-4 than a wide zoom.
Even better I'd be interested in an excellent wide open 150/2 in m43 mount.

Apr 24, 2017 at 01:49 PM
formula4speed
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4 for Pre-order

I'm more interested in the 50-200 as well, depending on where the price comes in. Love the range of my 45-200, IQ is only okay, but it was cheap.

Panasonic forgot to ask me which lens to release first, I'm sure it was an honest mistake

Apr 24, 2017 at 01:58 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4 for Pre-order

If recent pricing for M43 continues, I may just ship to save money in a few years, by moving to Leica.

The recent motto seems to be "if we over-price it - they will come-over".

Saw this happen with Nikon and got out with a bit of a profit on many lenses. The M43 was such a refreshing value, I remember my first Pani G1 cost me $595 and $700 with the kit lens. It was not nearly to todays standards of performance, but I had a lot of fun with it and have a lot of photos that are important memories.
As few upgrades over the years have been really nice, while most didn't really add value to my photos.

I do hate to be negative. I got in right at the beginning with Four-thirds and then jumped on M43 as soon as it came out, but these price levels make me feel pretty close to sucker-bait.

May 12, 2017 at 11:17 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4 for Pre-order

What's nice is there are a lot of options/choices. You do not have to go with the fast f1.2 or pro-grade weather-sealed lenses. The mid-grade and variable-speed lenses are less expensive and they are still pretty good.

Pavel wrote:
If recent pricing for M43 continues, I may just ship to save money in a few years, by moving to Leica.

Saw this happen with Nikon and got out with a bit of a profit on many lenses. The M43 was such a refreshing value, I remember my first Pani G1 cost me $595 and $700 with the kit lens. It was not nearly to todays standards of performance, but I had a lot of fun with it and have a lot of photos that are important
...Show more

May 13, 2017 at 12:34 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4 for Pre-order

Yes, choice is always a good thing. I looked into it and if one simply looks at the numbers this new lens is very close to the older 7-14 in size. That seemed impressive until I noticed that the 7-14's dimensions include the lens hood, while the Pani does not. That then in fact results in a fairly large difference in size. The weight of the Pani is very good, and very close however, a nice light lens. But for my money I'd go for the 7-14 and save a lot of bucks and size, or on the other hand go all out and get a constant 2.8 for a bit more size and weight. Pani will have it's work cut out to carve a good reason for purchase.

I guess the final value proposition of course can't be known until we see how well the lens performs across it's whole zoom range. For the price, it better be one of the best lenses ever made, and brew coffee every morning as well.

May 13, 2017 at 01:32 AM
ijm5012

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4 for Pre-order

I own the 7-14 PRO, but have pre-ordered the PL 8-18, and plan to sell the 7-14 PRO for a few reasons:

1. Size/Weight - While not a large or heavy lens by any sense of the imagination (despite what the internet may tell you), the PL 8-18 does weigh some 200g less than the 7-14 PRO, and is smaller as well. This is helpful when packing lenses for multi-day trips (or international trips), where saving weight is a big help.

2. Filters - The lens takes screw-in filters rather than needing an adapter & slot-in filters like the 7-14 PRO. This is one of the biggest reasons I'm looking to switch, as the Haida filter system I have for my 7-14 PRO takes up a good amount of space in my bag, in addition to adding weight. By replacing my 3/6/10 stop slot-in filters with screw-in filters, I can save a bunch of space in my bag, while helping save some weight as well.

3. Aperture - While not a reason for switching, the vast majority of my work with the 7-14 is done on a tripod at f/5.6-11, so having the variable max aperture really isn't a concern. Also, the 7-14 PRO suffers from some fairly severe field curvature, so even distant focused shots can be soft on the sides/corners.

I'm really looking forward to receiving the PL 8-18, and replacing my 7-14 PRO with it. The space and weight saved in my bag will be a welcomed change.

May 15, 2017 at 04:23 PM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4 for Pre-order

Happy with the 7-14mm so will be sticking with that

May 15, 2017 at 06:51 PM
Osprey01
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4 for Pre-order

Any ideas about whether the purple blob problem seen on Olympus bodies with the Panasonic 7-14mm F4 is to be expected?

May 29, 2017 at 02:11 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4 for Pre-order

There are many consumer-grade m43 lenses already. Both Olympus and Panasonic are now more interested in making pro-grade lenses, and I have absolutely no problem with that. I would love to see more fast f1.2 lenses and Olympus have promised to deliver them. True that these high-grade lenses won't be cheap but you get what you pay for.

Pavel wrote:

Saw this happen with Nikon and got out with a bit of a profit on many lenses. The M43 was such a refreshing value, I remember my first Pani G1 cost me $595 and $700 with the kit lens. It was not nearly to todays standards of performance, but I had a lot of fun with it and have a lot of photos that are important
...Show more

May 29, 2017 at 03:16 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4 for Pre-order

Pavel wrote:

...Show more

I think high end, and thus, high priced, gear is largely what the market is moving towards. There are still PLENTY of lower cost, yet optically good lenses for m4/3, but, the camera market as a whole is shrinking, or more specifically, more and more consumers are becoming very happy with the quality and convenience of their smart phones.

Smart phones first killed off the P&S market, leaving some premium 1" sensor models left of course, but now cameras like the iPhone 7 are giving dual lenses, simulated shallow DoF portrait effects, 4k video etc. Its making a lot of consumers wonder why even bother owning and carrying around that 'bulky' entry level DSLR or mirrorless camera. Phone works just as well in many cases.

Of course the enthusiast market, the type of folks who are on internet forums in the first place, aren't happy with phones, at least for their 'serious' or "pro" needs, they want the best, they are willing to pay for it, and all the brands are catering more so to them...

Heck, if you can't sell 10 entry level kits, sell one person a $2000 GH5, or EM1 mkII, and have them put a couple thousand dollars of glass on them. You make the same profit, with a higher margin and lower volume.

I'm sure in 5 years smart devices are going to do 95% of imaging, and dedicated cameras will be quite specialized, quite expensive, and quite stunning with their features.

May 29, 2017 at 04:14 AM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4 for Pre-order

As a m43 user and a Nikon FF user I personally feel that the m43 manufacturers need to be careful with their pricing. As much as I love my m43 kit, it can't touch my Nikons for image quality because of sensor size and high iso. I don't want to see lenses for each system at comparable prices, because I don't see the systems as comparable. Thats my personal feeling. I want the m43 lenses to be a lot cheaper than FF lenses, because the system is not as good - for me anyway.
And I do love my m43 kit, don't get me wrong. Its the kit I will pick up for any personal photography. But I still view it as a bit of a toy compared to my Nikons - which I use professionally
If and when I can get great high iso quality from a m43 camera, and the system has ttl flash compatibility with the likes of Godox etc I might well change my mind on pricing

May 29, 2017 at 10:00 AM
formula4speed
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4 for Pre-order

pr4photos wrote:
As a m43 user and a Nikon FF user I personally feel that the m43 manufacturers need to be careful with their pricing. As much as I love my m43 kit, it can't touch my Nikons for image quality because of sensor size and high iso. I don't want to see lenses for each system at comparable prices, because I don't see the systems as comparable. Thats my personal feeling. I want the m43 lenses to be a lot cheaper than FF lenses, because the system is not as good - for me anyway.
And I do love my m43 kit,
...Show more

You can use Godox stuff with m43, Adorama has the first Godox (Flashpoint) flash currently in stock and you can use it to trigger other Godox stuff. Presumably a stand alone trigger will come eventually, but this at least gives us the option. I'll likely be ordering one soon.

https://www.adorama.com/fplfsmminio.html?utm_source=rflaid68302

High ISO is a moving target, FF cameras will always be better, but remember back when 800 was considered high ISO? I'm pretty happy with where m43 is at, but I usually shoot below 3200.

May 29, 2017 at 02:55 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4 for Pre-order

pr4photos wrote:
...Show more

Sharper and/or faster glass though is a key to making the system a bit "better"

Sharper across the frame, faster for being able to shoot at lower ISO, or providing more subject separation, are keys towards reducing the trade-off of a smaller sensor size.

f3.5 at 25mm on a cheap zoom doesn't allow a low ISO, or give much background blur at all, looks a bit "worse" than a slow kit zoom on a larger sensor

Something like a f1.2 25mm though gives some pretty good subject isolation, is stellar optically, and also allows a faster shutter speed/lower ISO.

Trade-off there is weight/size of the lens, and also cost of the lens. No free lunch as your not going to get a larger sensor look while keeping a small/light/cheap lens on a smaller sensor.

Luckily, we can have choices, so those that don't want to invest as much, or want something small/light, can have the 25mm f1.8, which can be picked up for about $250, Stellar optic for the money.

If one wants, there is also the faster PRO options, which could even be bought in conjunction with the slower lens, so depending on the situation, you can take your choice of what to carry.

Maybe a family outing keep it light, serious photo shoot, take the pro glass. Great to have options in m4/3

May 29, 2017 at 03:54 PM
Osprey01
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4 for Pre-order

Well, to be fair the OEM pro lens pricing cand end up being a lot cheaper. A Nikon 24-70 2.8 vs an Olympus 12-40 2.8 is like 3x pricing. The various 35-100 or 50-150 2.8 lenses are a lot cheaper as well.

pr4photos wrote:
...Show more

May 29, 2017 at 05:28 PM
harvey steeves
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4 for Pre-order

for me, this is bit bigger than the Panny 7-14, a little lighter than the Oly 7-14 and I can put filters on it easily. It could take the place of both the other two.

Jun 04, 2017 at 10:08 PM
johnvanr
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4 for Pre-order

Interested in any reviews. Just ordered one for a trip to Europe and hoping it can replace my Olympus 7-14 and 9-18.

Jul 03, 2017 at 04:13 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4 for Pre-order

There are a number of reviews that you can check. Thus one is by Robin Wong:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.mingthein.com/2017/06/13/review-panasonic-leica-dg-vario-elmarit-8-18mm-f2-8-4-0-asph/amp/

johnvanr wrote:
Interested in any reviews. Just ordered one for a trip to Europe and hoping it can replace my Olympus 7-14 and 9-18.

Jul 03, 2017 at 06:30 PM
johnvanr
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4 for Pre-order

bobbytan wrote:
There are a number of reviews that you can check. Thus one is by Robin Wong:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.mingthein.com/2017/06/13/review-panasonic-leica-dg-vario-elmarit-8-18mm-f2-8-4-0-asph/amp/

Thanks. Seems it's a good lens, except for exhibiting too much flare. I'll see how it works for me. I find the 7-14mm too large and heavy for the little super wide angle work I do and always hesitate to take it on trips, for which I have the 9-18, but that lens doesn't equal the quality, reach and aperture of the top wide angle zooms.

Jul 03, 2017 at 07:02 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password