New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Monochrome...

tach18k
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Monochrome...

Other than Leica, is there a camera that shoots monochrome from the camera, what I am looking for is a camera that normally shoots color, but has a in-camera option for monochrome. I was just tryig to avoid using PS in PP.
TK

Apr 21, 2017 at 02:39 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Monochrome...

I shoot with a Leica M Monochrom and I always us PS in PP. There is also a big difference in a true B&W sensor and a color sensor using a B&W setting.

Edited on Apr 21, 2017 at 02:52 PM · View previous versions

Apr 21, 2017 at 02:46 PM
low325
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Monochrome...

Is acros an option?

Apr 21, 2017 at 02:48 PM
rdeloe
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Monochrome...

Doesn't nearly every camera give you the option of shooting black and white JPEGs? These are created in camera from the RAW file (or from the RAW data if there is no RAW file option).

Are you asking about a true monochrome sensor? It's a "true" monochrome sensor when it doesn't produce a RAW file that has colour information. That's what the Leica Monochrome is doing. Apart from Leica, I've only ever heard of one other: years ago I thought Epson had made such a camera (but I can't find any info on it).

Apr 21, 2017 at 03:16 PM
Sam_W
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Monochrome...

There was the Phase One Achromat Plus from the late 2000s.

Having seen Sony's MF sensor roadmap for the next year, it looks like they've got *multiple* MF monochromatic sensors slated for release over the next year or so.

If you're looking at FF35, depending on the camera body you have, you can also use a service like MaxMax (note: I have no affiliation with them, I've just read up on what they offer previously) to strip the Bayer array from your camera's sensor and turn it into a true B&W sensor. This will, however, also make the sensor quite sensitive to everything from the UV spectrum to the near-IR spectrum, so be prepared to carry a bag of filters with you.

Apr 21, 2017 at 04:12 PM
tach18k
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Monochrome...

Thanks for the info. I wasnt clear if some cameras did do the processing in-camera, rather than using PS to comvert color to BW.

Thanks

Apr 21, 2017 at 04:49 PM
benee
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Monochrome...

The ACROS simulation in the latest Fuji cameras is great!!

Apr 21, 2017 at 05:16 PM
retrofocus
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Monochrome...

I am using sometimes my Sony A7R in monochrome mode to do this - the RAW file still contains the color but the additionally saved JPG file (optional but needed for this purpose as direct monochrome file) is monochrome. The tonal range is very good - I personally still prefer a film B&W image because the digital monochrome looks too sterile/clear in comparison.

Apr 21, 2017 at 06:31 PM
OleAndre
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Monochrome...

I have never seen any reviews from it, but it seems that there are some third party companies that convert Fuji cameras into pure monochrome cameras, similar to Leica M Monochrom. More here.

I would also reiterate that I always end up post processing the files from my M246 (Monochrom). Its not much, but the files usually need some changes in contrast, and white and black level.

Edited on Apr 21, 2017 at 07:21 PM · View previous versions

Apr 21, 2017 at 07:18 PM
Tri Tran
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Monochrome...

Leica M8, Epson RD-1, or Sigma Merrill series are excellent options for monochrome.

Apr 21, 2017 at 07:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Henning

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Monochrome...

rdeloe wrote:
I've only ever heard of one other: years ago I thought Epson had made such a camera (but I can't find any info on it).

Apr 21, 2017 at 10:10 PM
Henning

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Monochrome...

Epson RD-1 and RD-1s were colour; their P&S cameras were also colour.

Phase One made (makes?) a B&W back, and way back, nearly in pre-history, Kodak made the 760, a FF DSLR based on a Nikon, I believe, that had a 6mp B&W sensor. That was my dream camera until I got a Monochrom a couple of years ago.

Apr 21, 2017 at 10:13 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Monochrome...

Essentially all mid-to-high range cameras will have a black-and-white option, which I assume is what you're looking for. As to cameras which are actually monochrome sensors, there are just a handful most of which have been mentioned already.

Apr 21, 2017 at 11:12 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Monochrome...

http://www.red.com/learn/red-101/color-monochrome-camera-sensors

Apr 22, 2017 at 01:26 AM
AmbientMike
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Monochrome...

I shoot B&W with older Canon and Panasonic. I think it's called the picture styles menu on the Canon body, I set it on monochrome.

I use DPP, with the Canon, if shooting RAW, which sees the in-camera settings. (I doubt PS does) Or, you can shoot it in color, and convert it to monochrome in the software, if you shoot RAW. I think it is better to shoot it how you want it, though.

The Panasonic software I have used so far doesn't really see the in-camera settings, which can be annoying.

Of course, you can shoot jpeg on B&W with pretty much any camera, I'd think. Be sure to shoot RAW+jpeg to test your cameras jpeg and RAW quality, before you do this, though. Which isn't a bad idea, anyway.

I shot some jpegs using my older Panasonic body, but I have been able to beat them with the RAW every time I've tried, so I try not to do that as much.

Are you trying to use different software than ps, or avoid pp altogether?

Apr 23, 2017 at 04:27 AM
AmbientMike
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Monochrome...

Well, I guess at times I've seen advantages to getting it how you wanted in camera, but lately I've been converting color images, since starting with color gives more adjustments than a strictly B&W file.

Apr 23, 2017 at 04:58 AM
Sam_W
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Monochrome...

Well, technically not true. Converting from colour to B&W makes it so that you can simulate having taken the photograph with colour filters in place, such as yellow, orange, et al.

However, you're losing tonality and range. When you have a colour sensor, you're basically getting 256 possible tones per colour channel. When you have a native B&W sensor, you're getting 16,384 possible tones. Plus a lack of colour noise, much higher DR and ISO options, etc.

Google around for M10 to Monochrom comparisons. The Monochrom has about a 1.5 stop advantage over the M10, even though the M10 is a full sensor generation ahead.

Apr 23, 2017 at 11:45 PM
ebookman
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Monochrome...

The Sony A7RII captures monochrome in RAW files.

Apr 24, 2017 at 12:19 AM
rdeloe
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Monochrome...

Ermmm... are you sure about that? It's a Bayer sensor. You can set the display and EVF to show monochrome, and the camera writes that preference into the JPEG that is embedded in the RAW file. However, once you bring the ARF file into Lightroom (for example), the monochrome info is tossed and you're back to seeing the RAW file (with whatever default sharpening etc. that LR puts on it). That's how I often shoot my A7R because I'm shooting for black and white.

ebookman wrote:

Apr 24, 2017 at 02:01 AM
genji
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Monochrome...

ebookman wrote:

The A7R II doesn't capture monochrome in RAW files. As rdeloe correctly explained, if you set the Picture Style to Black & White the display and EVF will both show a monochrome image and, if you're shooting just RAW, then that preference is set in the embedded JPG. On the other hand, if you're shooting RAW+JPG, the camera produces a standalone monochrome JPG and a color RAW file containing a monochrome embedded JPG. During the import of the RAW files into Lightroom you can see the images actually change from monochrome to color as the monochrome preference is discarded.

---------------------------------------------

rdeloe wrote:
Ermmm... are you sure about that? It's a Bayer sensor. You can set the display and EVF to show monochrome, and the camera writes that preference into the JPEG that is embedded in the RAW file. However, once you bring the ARF file into Lightroom (for example), the monochrome info is tossed and you're back to seeing the RAW file (with whatever default sharpening etc. that LR puts on it). That's how I often shoot my A7R because I'm shooting for black and white.

Apr 24, 2017 at 05:17 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password