New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Nik Software hanging up....

photomedic4321
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nik Software hanging up....

Ever since the most recent update to photoshop, My NIK filter plugins have started acting all messed up! My Dfine hangs up completely and my color efex will load but i have to keep pushing the space bar to get through the window to open every image. Anybody else having issues with the MacBook Pros. Ugh, so frustrating. I have tried upgrading the software, installing and uninstalling NIK and nothing works. Any suggestions.

Apr 20, 2017 at 05:01 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nik Software hanging up....

I was reading something that indicated CC2017.1 finally 'broke' NIK software and it seems unlikely Google will put much effort into fixing it.

Can you run the NIK tools as standalone (using TIFFs) ?

Apr 20, 2017 at 11:56 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nik Software hanging up....

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=117506.0

Apr 20, 2017 at 12:19 PM
TimMunsey
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nik Software hanging up....

I fixed mine by changing to a previous version of photoshop cc, that's all it required.

Apr 21, 2017 at 05:05 AM
photomedic4321
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nik Software hanging up....

Yep, looks like NIK is just about dead. This is going to require a huge change in my workflow. We should have seen this coming when google bought Nik and started giving it away. Thank you very much Google, you money hungry POS!

Apr 21, 2017 at 02:14 PM
PhilPDX
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nik Software hanging up....

photomedic4321 wrote:
Thank you very much Google, you money hungry POS!

Money hungry? NIK is available for free, in case you haven't noticed. And why are you blaming Google for something that Adobe is responsible for?

-Phil

Apr 21, 2017 at 02:32 PM
RKnecht
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nik Software hanging up....

I'm running CC2017.1 and all my Nik plug ins work fine.

Apr 21, 2017 at 02:56 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nik Software hanging up....

photomedic4321 wrote:
Yep, looks like NIK is just about dead. This is going to require a huge change in my workflow. We should have seen this coming when google bought Nik and started giving it away. Thank you very much Google, you money hungry POS!

I think you'll find it's Adobe who are the POS money-grabbers. The most unpleasant company I have ever had to deal with.

Apr 21, 2017 at 02:56 PM
monochrome
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nik Software hanging up....

PhilPDX wrote:
Money hungry? NIK is available for free, in case you haven't noticed. And why are you blaming Google for something that Adobe is responsible for?

-Phil

I would agree with 4321's statement. When Nik came out with Snapped for mobile, Google was pissed that Nik wasn't going to make it for Android, so they bought the company just for Snapped..., and let a great company product just fall to shit..... Now there not selling any of it, but the over all picture is the greed Google has. And cannot see how in the world it is Adobes fault, they upgrade the software, it's up to other companies to upgrade as well, something that Google has not and WILL not do with Nik.

Apr 21, 2017 at 03:13 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nik Software hanging up....

NIK works (mostly) fine with the latest versions of Photoshop CC on my Windows PC. There is the odd bug since the 2015 CC version but they don't really affect usage and they still run very quickly. Eventually they will die, but then all you have to do is install a second, earlier, version of PS for when you want to use NIK.

Apr 21, 2017 at 05:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

kwilliam8
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nik Software hanging up....

The Nik plugins (e.g., Color Efex, Dfine) are working fine for me with the latest version of Photoshop CC, running on my Windows PC (with the latest updates applied there too). I continue to worry that one day they won't. They are a big part of my workflow. I filled out a questionnaire recently for Adobe, and suggested that they acquire the Nik plugins from Google.
Keith W.

Apr 21, 2017 at 05:51 PM
PhilPDX
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nik Software hanging up....

monochrome wrote:
And cannot see how in the world it is Adobes fault, they upgrade the software, it's up to other companies to upgrade as well, something that Google has not and WILL not do with Nik.

NIK is not developed anymore; it's dead. It's therefore completely irrelevant that Adobe has released a new version of their software. Despite: if Adobe introduces a bug that causes other software to fail, whose responsibility is it to find and remove that bug?

-Phil

Apr 21, 2017 at 08:42 PM
Ryukyu
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nik Software hanging up....

It would be nice if Google would sell them to somebody that would develop them. They're still pretty good apps.
As far as I know, they still work just fine standalone. At least they do for me.

Apr 21, 2017 at 11:43 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nik Software hanging up....

Things progress along and trying to be backwards compatible so all 3rd party applications work is a huge undertaking which leads to software bloat. It's up to each application to make the necessary changes to that applications so it functions in the latest updates.

Nik not working with the latest PS is totally on Google for abandoning the product.

Apr 22, 2017 at 01:27 PM
photomedic4321
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nik Software hanging up....

Yes, money hungry POS! Google bought the software from people who cared about it and maintained it! They were not making any money with it so they stopped any further development on it and stopped any further support. Thus, while programs like CC and LR continue to develop, eventually programs like NIK will not work. Thats why.

Apr 22, 2017 at 02:31 PM
PhilPDX
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nik Software hanging up....

photomedic4321 wrote:
Google bought the software from people who cared about it and maintained it!

That's why they sold it to Google, right?

chez wrote:
Nik not working with the latest PS is totally on Google for abandoning the product.

Transactions like that happen all the time. One company acquires another one and the products of the latter will be taken off the market. Nothing new; just good old capitalism. I understand that you guys are upset, but what Google did is not out of the ordinary. They have no obligation whatsoever to maintain an abandoned product. They even give it away for free - what more do you want?

Apr 22, 2017 at 03:19 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nik Software hanging up....

PhilPDX wrote:
That's why they sold it to Google, right?

Transactions like that happen all the time. One company acquires another one and the products of the latter will be taken off the market. Nothing new; just good old capitalism. I understand that you guys are upset, but what Google did is not out of the ordinary. They have no obligation whatsoever to maintain an abandoned product. They even give it away for free - what more do you want?

Sure, they give it away for free now...but some of us purchased the NIK suite a while back before Google got hold of it and abandoned further development...basically making my investment in the suite useless.

It would be like Apple purchasing PS and abandoning it to slowly die with each new release of OS. Glad you feel like sticking up for these big corporations when they screw people.

Apr 22, 2017 at 06:58 PM
PhilPDX
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nik Software hanging up....

chez wrote:
some of us purchased the NIK suite a while back before Google got hold of it

Yes, and Google refunded those that made the purchase in 2016. So you own a 2+ year old software and demand that the company continues to support it for free? Yeah, right.

chez wrote:
Glad you feel like sticking up for these big corporations when they screw people.

Glad that you feel like defending a big corporation such as Adobe which seems to have introduced a bug in their source code that causes NIK to stop working on some computers.

-Phil

Apr 22, 2017 at 07:53 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Nik Software hanging up....

PhilPDX wrote:
Yes, and Google refunded those that made the purchase in 2016. So you own a 2+ year old software and demand that the company continues to support it for free? Yeah, right.

Glad that you feel like defending a big corporation such as Adobe which seems to have introduced a bug in their source code that causes NIK to stop working on some computers.

-Phil

No...Google never supported the product since they purchased it. I would gladly have paid for upgrades...they had none. They sunk it period. Nothing to do with 2.5 year old software...I could not get anything more recent.

Adobe did not put a bug into their software...they moved on with it unlike Google. Do you feel that Microsoft puts a bug into their software when a new version if the OS requires updating say the video driver to the latest?

It is Googles responsibility to enhance their code to work with the latest PS and/or OS releases. They neglected to do this with the result of having NIK become a boat anchor.

Apr 22, 2017 at 08:05 PM
PhilPDX
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Nik Software hanging up....

chez wrote:
Adobe did not put a bug into their software...

How do you know? You think they never make a mistake? It could well be that the PS update causes a conflict only on certain systems. There are at least two posters in this thread who claim that NIK is working with the latest PS incarnation. Maybe your OS needs an upgrade or your display driver is simply out of date. Have you tried yet?

chez wrote:
It is Googles responsibility to enhance their code...

Absolutely not. NIK is a dead product. It's freeware now, so you either take it or leave it. It would be nice if Google would invest some money into that software, of course, but under no circumstances are they obligated to do so.

Good luck
-Phil

Apr 22, 2017 at 10:12 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password