FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              29      
       31              62       63       end

Archive 2017 · Pre-order: Sony A9

Matt Grum
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.30 #1 · p.30 #1 · Pre-order: Sony A9

There's a report in the dpreview forums (with a vague source) that the sync speed of the e-shutter is 1/120s. This is certainty very plausible given the "anti-distortion" claim and the sample images so far.

Steve Spencer wrote:
I think the killer feature is the silent shutter that looks like it has a ton of capability. We don't know the actual readout speed, but 1/250 seems like a good guess/estimate. At that speed most of the problems, if not all the problems, of a silent shutter should be solved. I am guessing there will still be a problem or two because they included a mechanical shutter.

The obvious (and only?) reason for the inclusion of a mechanical shutter is that the e-shutter sync speed is below 1/250.

nandadevieast wrote:
My guess is the read out speed will be less than 1/250. Otherwise Mechanical shutter would not have been there.

Yep I think you're spot on there.

Apr 21, 2017 at 01:33 PM
Justin Stone
• • •
p.30 #2 · p.30 #2 · Pre-order: Sony A9

Kudos to Sony for making the camera size the same. ;-)

chiron wrote:
The real "wife" question is whether the A9 will look enough like the a7rii that your wife won't know it's a new camera.

Apr 21, 2017 at 01:33 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.30 #3 · p.30 #3 · Pre-order: Sony A9

AGeoJO wrote:
That Sony only includes a single battery with the new camera is, well, not great but still acceptable but that they charge extra for the external battery charger is lame . It maybe OK for the A7 series line of cameras but that's not acceptable for a pro caliber camera that sells for $4,500. We all know that pros will have at least a spare battery around, a full battery in the camera and the other one is being charged. Sorry, Sony, but that's really lame, IMHO.

If they don't charge extra for the grip, and battery charger, and apps... they can't claim their camera is cheaper than the competitors.

Apr 21, 2017 at 01:35 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.30 #4 · p.30 #4 · Pre-order: Sony A9

I have I believe a Watson dual battery charger and you just switch out the base plates for different batteries. Hopefully they will make blanks for the A9 batteries. Or maybe some existing ones that will work

Apr 21, 2017 at 01:39 PM
Matt Grum
• • •
p.30 #5 · p.30 #5 · Pre-order: Sony A9

nandadevieast wrote:
The Photoclubalpha article i linked above says there are clues in the way the multi charger accessory has been designed, that they will launch a A9s. Besides, the crippled s-log is another clue.

Steve Spencer wrote:
That leaves us with what for me is probably the most exciting release. I expect at the end of next year an A9s with pretty much the A9 sensor, but tuned to video with full sensor readout 8K video. It should be a killer camera for that application. Very high quality including great slo mo capabilities, very minimal rolling shutter, and full frame 35mm at 8K. If you want to know why there is no slog on the A9, I think this is why.

The A7S/A7SII were about sensitivity, not video. The fact it shot great 4K was more of a coincidence, a side effect of the low pixel density chosen to minimise [per-pixel] noise. I really can't see them releasing an 8K A9s, as it would have to have at least 39 megapixels (assuming a 3:2 sensor), which would be a high-resolution high-speed camera, nothing like the current A7S/A7SII.

Apr 21, 2017 at 01:46 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.30 #6 · p.30 #6 · Pre-order: Sony A9

nandadevieast wrote:
My guess is the read out speed will be less than 1/250. Otherwise Mechanical shutter would not have been there.

Sony said the A9's readout speed is 20x the A7ii, which should put it comfortably above 1/250 if Sony's 20x claim is accurate. If that's the case then one reason they may have kept the mechanical shutter was due to timing issues getting HSS flash to sync with the electronic shutter, although it would be strange for them to have more issues getting an electronic sensor to sync vs a mechanical device like a shutter.

Apr 21, 2017 at 01:56 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.30 #7 · p.30 #7 · Pre-order: Sony A9

Matt Grum wrote:
The A7S/A7SII were about sensitivity, not video. The fact it shot great 4K was more of a coincidence, a side effect of the low pixel density chosen to minimise [per-pixel] noise. I really can't see them releasing an 8K A9s, as it would have to have at least 39 megapixels (assuming a 3:2 sensor), which would be a high-resolution high-speed camera, nothing like the current A7S/A7SII.

I think Sony chose 12MP for the A7s specifically for how well it matches the dimensions of 4K output.

Apr 21, 2017 at 01:58 PM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.30 #8 · p.30 #8 · Pre-order: Sony A9

Brian Smith says the high ISO performance should be a notch below A7rii.
Also, that the weather sealing is similar to A7ii caneras, as told by the A9 engineer.
Don't expect low light AF performance to be too great. Maybe slightly better than A7rii. I desuced that from Brian ducking this question twice thrice in the question section.

Of above, i was really expecting a great ISO performance compared to previous cameras.

Apr 21, 2017 at 02:03 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.30 #9 · p.30 #9 · Pre-order: Sony A9

nandadevieast wrote:
Brian Smith says the high ISO performance should be a notch below A7rii.
Also, that the weather sealing is similar to A7ii caneras, as told by the A9 engineer.
Don't expect low light AF performance to be too great. Maybe slightly better than A7rii. I desuced that from Brian ducking this question twice thrice in the question section.

Of above, i was really expecting a great ISO performance compared to previous cameras.

My impression was that anytime you stack that much extra heat-generating electronics on the back of a sensor something will suffer. In this case high ISO noise is likely to be problem with super fast readout speeds, etc.

Apr 21, 2017 at 02:08 PM
Henning
• •
p.30 #10 · p.30 #10 · Pre-order: Sony A9

molson wrote:
Does this mean the A9 will use stopped-down focusing for all lenses, and not just the GM lenses? I can't imagine they would be opening and closing the aperture 60 times per second. And if it does focus everything at the shooting aperture, that doesn't bode well for shooting at small apertures in low light...

There should really be an option in firmware to choose between focussing at shooting aperture or wide open. Each has its uses and drawbacks and it is clearly within Sony's capabilities to allow a choice.

Apr 21, 2017 at 02:13 PM
Henning
• •
p.30 #11 · p.30 #11 · Pre-order: Sony A9

AGeoJO wrote:
That Sony only includes a single battery with the new camera is, well, not great but still acceptable but that they charge extra for the external battery charger is lame . It maybe OK for the A7 series line of cameras but that's not acceptable for a pro caliber camera that sells for $4,500. We all know that pros will have at least a spare battery around, a full battery in the camera and the other one is being charged. Sorry, Sony, but that's really lame, IMHO.

An external charger came with my A7rII.

Apr 21, 2017 at 02:16 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.30 #12 · p.30 #12 · Pre-order: Sony A9

My experience with the A7R and A7RII is that in actual practice the LOW and HIGH ISO noise is a notch below what I can get with my D800. There may be measurements that say differently, but when I pull up shadows or expose for highlights, etc. in real life images the A7RII is just a notch worse. I've attributed this to the need to constantly pull data from the sensor prior to the shot. it also seems to suffer when I've had the sensor active for long periods of time (heck my D800 does this too if in LiveView for a long time . . .)

One of the potential downsides of mirrorless in my book, but I live with this because the upsides matter more to me.

- J

Apr 21, 2017 at 02:21 PM
ecarlino
• • •
p.30 #13 · p.30 #13 · Pre-order: Sony A9

nandadevieast wrote:

according to Sony's tech specs:

a7r2 AF down to -2 EV
a9 AF down to -3 EV

Apr 21, 2017 at 02:27 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.30 #14 · p.30 #14 · Pre-order: Sony A9

Henning wrote:
An external charger came with my A7rII.

Both of mine didn't come with any external chargers but two batteries each. Maybe it is different in Canada.

Apr 21, 2017 at 02:28 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.30 #15 · p.30 #15 · Pre-order: Sony A9

Matt Grum wrote:
There's a report in the dpreview forums (with a vague source) that the sync speed of the e-shutter is 1/120s. This is certainty very plausible given the "anti-distortion" claim and the sample images so far.

The RX100M4/M5 and RX10II/III have sensor readout speeds of 1/100. When I have time later I'll have one of my nieces swing a baseball bat (vertically) and see what the rolling shutter looks like with my RX10II.

Edited on Apr 21, 2017 at 02:37 PM · View previous versions

Apr 21, 2017 at 02:36 PM
DougDolde
• • •
p.30 #16 · p.30 #16 · Pre-order: Sony A9

Zero interest

Apr 21, 2017 at 02:36 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.30 #17 · p.30 #17 · Pre-order: Sony A9

ecarlino wrote:
according to Sony's tech specs:

a7r2 AF down to -2 EV
a9 AF down to -3 EV

Isn't the D800 rated down to -2 EV? Not sure what the other FF models can do.

Apr 21, 2017 at 02:39 PM
ecarlino
• • •
p.30 #18 · p.30 #18 · Pre-order: Sony A9

DougDolde wrote:
Zero interest

I'm sure Sony, just like Santa Claus, has a list of who wants one, so thanks for letting them know, they'll let the factory know they can make 1 less now.

Apr 21, 2017 at 02:43 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.30 #19 · p.30 #19 · Pre-order: Sony A9

ecarlino wrote:
I'm sure Sony, just like Santa Claus, has a list of who wants one, so thanks for letting them know, they'll let the factory know they can make 1 less now.

You forgot, Sony needs to make one for me. So +1.
I noticed this morning that amazon would charge tax. Since when?

K-H.

Apr 21, 2017 at 02:47 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.30 #20 · p.30 #20 · Pre-order: Sony A9

k-h.a.w wrote:
You forgot, Sony needs to make one for me. So +1.
I noticed this morning that amazon would charge tax. Since when?

K-H.

Since recently - it's been in the news, but other headlines have taken precedence apparently

Apr 21, 2017 at 02:50 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.