New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Sunwayfoto monopod head

runakid
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sunwayfoto monopod head

Anyone using this brand? I am looking at a monopod and head for sale on FM. Not familiar with the brand. I think it is the DT-01 model. B/H says t will hold 26 lb but I was wondering about its construction and general use.

Apr 19, 2017 at 04:05 AM
neilvan
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sunwayfoto monopod head

I bought the DT-02 model a couple of months ago.

Save your money, mine has already been tossed in the junk bin. It had a very disconcerting back and forth knocking issue, even when locked down.

Kind of surprising, I have had a number of items from Sunwayfoto and this one was poor in comparison.

Apr 20, 2017 at 04:15 AM
runakid
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sunwayfoto monopod head

Wish I had known- bought one from a guy on FM yesterday. But thanks anyway. If this doesn't work- I'll be buying a Kirk as planned.

Edited on Apr 20, 2017 at 07:41 AM · View previous versions

Apr 20, 2017 at 07:08 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sunwayfoto monopod head

neilvan wrote:
...Save your money, mine has already been tossed in the junk bin. It had a very disconcerting back and forth knocking issue, even when locked down...

Very similar to my experience with the GH-Pro.

Apr 20, 2017 at 07:22 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sunwayfoto monopod head

jcolwell wrote:

That's interesting. I know Sunwayfoto OEM some very dodgy "brands" but the small number of Sunwayfoto branded products I've bought have been very good including their GH-Pro. I put a RRS clamp on mine which I believe is a v.3 of the product.. I've been using it for over a year.

I have light equipment; 35mm rangefinders, a MF TLR, and a Sony mirrorless digital camera. The GH-Pro has been reliable in use and is a distinct improvement over a regular ballhead for some situations. My experience with it has been good.

Apr 20, 2017 at 10:08 AM
runakid
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sunwayfoto monopod head

Cool- and thanks. I bought a mono and head yesterday off FM.

Apr 20, 2017 at 10:10 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sunwayfoto monopod head

jcolwell wrote:

peter_n wrote:
That's interesting. I know Sunwayfoto OEM some very dodgy "brands" but the small number of Sunwayfoto branded products I've bought have been very good including their GH-Pro. I put a RRS clamp on mine which I believe is a v.3 of the product.. I've been using it for over a year.

Mine has a Sunwayfoto panning clamp on top. In general, the GH-Pro is pretty good, but there's about 2 deg of deadband/hysteresis/'slop' in rotation about the fore & aft X-axis (i.e. roll), which is controlled by the knob on the RHS of your photo. I suspect it's due to looseness in the gearing. Also, the knobs are very tight to turn, in comparison with my A-S C1 Cube and Manfrotto 410 geared heads.

I often use heavier gear, like a 6D or 1D-series camera with TS-E 24/3.5L II (~5 lb), and so it might just be more noticeable for me, or yours is a better fit (or both).

Apr 20, 2017 at 10:40 AM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sunwayfoto monopod head

On a somewhat related topic, here's an idea for anyone wanting to use a Sidekick with a monopod:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1429801

Apr 20, 2017 at 01:40 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sunwayfoto monopod head

I've owned the Sunwayfoto DT-01 model for several years and it works fine—no problems with locking or drift. of course my heaviest combo was a 6D and 300 4L. I don't think the 25LB load is accurate. Maybe half that or less. Perhaps neilvan got a defective DT-01? Maybe 5 years back, had a defective Sunwayfoto FB28 (didn't lock well) and exchanged it for a good one.

Apr 21, 2017 at 12:13 PM
runakid
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sunwayfoto monopod head

Good to know as mine comes on Tuesday.

Apr 21, 2017 at 01:35 PM
neilvan
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sunwayfoto monopod head

I have a DT-02, I don't buy things to have to send them in, they should have got it right in the first place. I just looked around on my 'junk bin' and realized the panning clamp that broke after several uses was a Sunwayfoto part as well. Meh.

Gochugogi wrote:
I've owned the Sunwayfoto DT-01 model for several years and it works fine—no problems with locking or drift. of course my heaviest combo was a 6D and 300 4L. I don't think the 25LB load is accurate. Maybe half that or less. Perhaps neilvan got a defective DT-01? Maybe 5 years back, had a defective Sunwayfoto FB28 (didn't lock well) and exchanged it for a good one.

Apr 21, 2017 at 03:11 PM
jharter
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sunwayfoto monopod head

I have a SunwayPhoto tilt head for monopods. It is OK but not great. It does not rock but it is difficult to lock it won tightly enough. Feels like metal on metal friction and like it needs a cork or rubber gasket of some sort. It is also relatively heavy. It is compellingly inexpensive though. If you use a monopod occasionally it should suffice. If you use a monopod often then I would spring for Kirk or RRS.

For big loads consider the Acratech long lens head which is basically a burly tilt head.

Apr 21, 2017 at 03:13 PM
neilvan
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sunwayfoto monopod head

I switched to the Acratech Long Lens head, works a treat on my monopod and tripod...

jharter wrote:
I have a SunwayPhoto tilt head for monopods. It is OK but not great. It does not rock but it is difficult to lock it won tightly enough. Feels like metal on metal friction and like it needs a cork or rubber gasket of some sort. It is also relatively heavy. It is compellingly inexpensive though. If you use a monopod occasionally it should suffice. If you use a monopod often then I would spring for Kirk or RRS.

For big loads consider the Acratech long lens head which is basically a burly tilt head.

Apr 21, 2017 at 03:19 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.