Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              7      
       9       10       end

Archive 2017 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

spooky action
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #1 · p.8 #1 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

CanadaMark wrote:
You're very welcome.

If you want to step up the cooler, I would go with either a Noctua NH-U12S or NH-U14S (better);
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/DMjG3C/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhu14s

It will clear any RAM

Or a Noctua NH-D15 (best):
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4vzv6h/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhd15

Note with that the NH-D15 you will need to raise one of the CPU cooler fans slightly to clear Trident Z RAM (I do this and it has a negligible effect on cooling performance). This cooler has equivalent performance to a water cooler with 240mm radiators, so it would give you maximum future OC flexibility or the coolest CPU temperatures in a hot room.

Thanks. The D15 is the cooler recommended on the photographylife full tower build. I will consider the other two coolers suggested if I go with the compact/mid-tower you suggest. I looked into the coffee lake. I may wait for that to be released, as others have suggested doing at this point.

Aug 18, 2017 at 04:54 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.8 #2 · p.8 #2 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

spooky action wrote:
Thanks. The D15 is the cooler recommended on the photographylife full tower build. I will consider the other two coolers suggested if I go with the compact/mid-tower you suggest. I looked into the coffee lake. I may wait for that to be released, as others have suggested doing at this point.

The Fractal R5 will take ANY cooler - it is extra wide exactly for that purpose. No worries whatsoever using a NH-D15 in it. I use that exact combo myself in fact - no need for a larger tower either, there is tons of room in it even for much more advanced builds with multiple GPUs, dual power supplies, and multiple water coolers.

Don't get hung up on mid vs full tower - few people need more than a mid tower for even a huge build.

Here is a NH-D15 (single fan) in a Fractal R5 (not my photo), you can see you have tons of room everywhere still:

http://aphnetworks.com/review/fractal-design-define-r5/015.JPG

Aug 18, 2017 at 05:09 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.8 #3 · p.8 #3 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

A note on the case - the fractal design cases are not what i would describe as "lightweight". I have an XL R2 for my home server and it is a beast - 16Kg before you put any components in it. The R5 is a bit lighter at 10Kg, but if you are going to be moving the computer around a lot, i would suggest looking for a lighter case. On the other hand, if it is going to be sitting in one place for it's entire life, the fractals are excellent cases.

I also have Noctua coolers (U12DX-i4's) and have nothing but nice things to say about them.

Aug 18, 2017 at 05:54 PM
spooky action
• •
p.8 #4 · p.8 #4 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

CanadaMark wrote:
The Fractal R5 will take ANY cooler - it is extra wide exactly for that purpose. No worries whatsoever using a NH-D15 in it. I use that exact combo myself in fact - no need for a larger tower either, there is tons of room in it even for much more advanced builds with multiple GPUs, dual power supplies, and multiple water coolers.

Don't get hung up on mid vs full tower - few people need more than a mid tower for even a huge build.

Here is a NH-D15 (single fan) in a Fractal R5 (not my photo), you can see
...Show more

Got it. Mid-tower will fit the bill then. I like the idea of a bunch of space to work with for both scaling up and, presumably, ease of
build.

Aug 18, 2017 at 07:29 PM
spooky action
• •
p.8 #5 · p.8 #5 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

15Bit wrote:
A note on the case - the fractal design cases are not what i would describe as "lightweight". I have an XL R2 for my home server and it is a beast - 16Kg before you put any components in it. The R5 is a bit lighter at 10Kg, but if you are going to be moving the computer around a lot, i would suggest looking for a lighter case. On the other hand, if it is going to be sitting in one place for it's entire life, the fractals are excellent cases.

I also have Noctua coolers (U12DX-i4's) and
...Show more

I'm sure I'll move it once or twice over the years, but for the most part it'll stay in the same spot. Thanks for the heads up on the weight though.

Aug 18, 2017 at 07:30 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.8 #6 · p.8 #6 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

CanadaMark wrote:

Here is a NH-D15 (single fan) in a Fractal R5 (not my photo), you can see
...Show more

I have an NH-D14 in a build from 2015. I'm not sure how the 15 is better but the 14 has two fans. I think 2 fans is better for reliability.

EBH

Aug 19, 2017 at 09:15 PM
jeetsukumaran
• • •
p.8 #7 · p.8 #7 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

Just want to add that I recently upgraded my fan to a Noctua NH-D15S. This has a radiator cutout that provides clearance for RAM as well as GPU etc. without any adjustment. It does come with only one fan, but nothing is stopping you from getting a second one of the same type and mounting it, which is what I did. This second fan needs to be mounted offset a little bit to clear the RAM.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XUVGLEU/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Aug 19, 2017 at 11:16 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.8 #8 · p.8 #8 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

EB-1 wrote:
I have an NH-D14 in a build from 2015. I'm not sure how the 15 is better but the 14 has two fans. I think 2 fans is better for reliability.

EBH

The NH-D15 is the successor to the NH-D14 and performs slightly better. The D15 has 2 fans, but they make a D15 "S" model that has only a single fan for 100% RAM compatibility. It is however unnecessary since you can just move the D15's second fan up a few mm's and it makes no difference while clearing any RAM.

Aug 20, 2017 at 01:07 PM
Oscarsmadness
• • •
p.8 #9 · p.8 #9 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

In all honesty, if I needed the cooling power of the D-15, I'd just spend some extra money and do water cooling. But that's my opinion...

Aug 20, 2017 at 02:15 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.8 #10 · p.8 #10 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

I had a leak some years ago and have been cautious since then. I was also unimpressed with the overall noise. I don't run FAH 24/7 for years continuously where a few degress cooler may matter to longevity. Most of my needs are in bursts of a few minutes to an hour at a time.

I'm still undecided about the Threadgrippers and may need water for that, but may go with air for the i9 instead.

EBH

Aug 20, 2017 at 02:34 PM
skid00skid00
• • •
p.8 #11 · p.8 #11 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

I was considering going with an all-in-one water cooler for my next build, but at only 3-4 degrees cooler than the Noctua, and more expense and potential for catastrophic leaks, I'll stick with air cooling.

Aug 20, 2017 at 05:37 PM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.8 #12 · p.8 #12 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

skid00skid00 wrote:
I was considering going with an all-in-one water cooler for my next build, but at only 3-4 degrees cooler than the Noctua, and more expense and potential for catastrophic leaks, I'll stick with air cooling.

^ This. There are a few things that can happen when you introduce water into a box full of electronics and only one of them is good.

Aug 20, 2017 at 06:42 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.8 #13 · p.8 #13 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

Oscarsmadness wrote:
In all honesty, if I needed the cooling power of the D-15, I'd just spend some extra money and do water cooling. But that's my opinion...

The NH-D15 matches or outperforms most 240mm AIO water coolers, while being quieter. They also still have some effectiveness even if the fans die. On top of that you should replace AIO water coolers every 2-3 years to be safe, and that gets very expensive. The anti-corrosive additives they put in the coolant wears off fairly quickly. If you want to get a water cooler that outperforms a NH-D15 you need to go 280mm+ and the costs can be high for the good units. The AIO's have warranties if they leak, but good luck claiming it.

Aug 20, 2017 at 08:48 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.8 #14 · p.8 #14 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

EB-1 wrote:
I'm still undecided about the Threadgrippers and may need water for that, but may go with air for the i9 instead.
EBH

Hold off a couple of days before deciding - i think the new Intel desktop line is about to be announced, and it will probably include an unlocked 6 core CPU. Though not Threadripper fast for multithread stuff, it'll probably be a good sweet spot for photo editing.

I'm also not a fan of water cooling PC's. Looking at the closed loop coolers available i just don't trust the tubing and connectors, and i can't be bothered to make up one myself with swagelock kit that i would trust.

Aug 21, 2017 at 12:23 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.8 #15 · p.8 #15 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

I have a Corsair H100i whose LED's died quickly - a known QC issue that saw many RMA their coolers.

I will be replacing my now aging H100i with an NH-D15 as soon as funds permit.

Aug 21, 2017 at 01:07 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.8 #16 · p.8 #16 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

15Bit wrote:
Hold off a couple of days before deciding - i think the new Intel desktop line is about to be announced, and it will probably include an unlocked 6 core CPU. Though not Threadripper fast for multithread stuff, it'll probably be a good sweet spot for photo editing.

I'm also not a fan of water cooling PC's. Looking at the closed loop coolers available i just don't trust the tubing and connectors, and i can't be bothered to make up one myself with swagelock kit that i would trust.

All details on the new intel 6-core are already known. The one to get will be the i7-8700K, 6c/12t, max turbo 4.7Ghz (single core only), 12MB cache, dual channel RAM support only, and 95W TDP. Socket will be 1151 still but there will be a new Z370 chip-set so you can't use your old 7700k mobo. Will probably be an easy OC to 4.7Ghz on all cores and 5.0Ghz with good cooling. It will definitely strike a nice balance between cores and clock speed, as well as take over the 7700K's spot as the go-to gaming CPU for cheaper builds or those not wanting to venture into the Xtreme series.

Aug 21, 2017 at 10:14 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.8 #17 · p.8 #17 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

CanadaMark wrote:
All details on the new intel 6-core are already known. The one to get will be the i7-8700K, 6c/12t, max turbo 4.7Ghz (single core only), 12MB cache, dual channel RAM support only, and 95W TDP. Socket will be 1151 still but there will be a new Z370 chip-set so you can't use your old 7700k mobo. Will probably be an easy OC to 4.7Ghz on all cores and 5.0Ghz with good cooling. It will definitely strike a nice balance between cores and clock speed, as well as take over the 7700K's spot as the go-to gaming CPU for cheaper builds
...Show more

But not officially announced yet, with only guesstimates for shipping dates. I think one one those 6-cores might be enough incentive for me to upgrade my ivy bridge quad, though the need to upgrade to Win 10 is a little off-putting.

Aug 21, 2017 at 10:53 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.8 #18 · p.8 #18 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

I finally ordered Ivy Bridge 2680v2 Xeons to upgrade my dual-socket running 2650 Sandy Bridge. Price was $250 each, or 15% of original retail in 2014. I wanted something with more bang, good bang for buck, high turbo rating, and less than meltdown maximum temperatures. In the tabulation below, bang is C*MHz:
Xeon E5   C   MHz Turbo   TDP     $   DDR3  GT/s  bang   millibang/$
2650 8 2.0 2.8 95 65 1600 8.0 16 246
2680v2 10 2.8 3.6 115 230 1866 8.0 28 122
2690 8 2.9 3.8 135 200 1600 8.0 23 116
2667v2 8 3.3 4.0 130 300 1866 8.0 26 88
2690v2 10 3.0 3.6 130 350 1866 8.0 30 86
2695v2 12 2.4 3.2 115 450 1866 8.0 29 64
You can see the highest performing 10- and 12-core models are quite poor value, while 8-core of any vintage is hard pressed to keep up. With a generous supply of pulled 2680v2, eBay prices are really attractive. Of course, this calculation presumes the software of interest can leverage the cores. After the debacle of v5/v6, I'm not confident that Coffee Lake will have usable hyperthreads. Intel has gone into perpetual beta testing.

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:31 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.8 #19 · p.8 #19 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

Nice upgrade rico. The E5 v2 glut doesn't seem to have hit this side of the pond yet, and they'd have to be really cheap to entice me off my 2670's (which were £150 for the pair). In truth i'm not utilising the CPU horsepower i have, so an upgrade would be a waste of money.

Sep 27, 2017 at 10:23 AM
Steezus
• • •
p.8 #20 · p.8 #20 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

Paul Mo wrote:
I have a Corsair H100i whose LED's died quickly - a known QC issue that saw many RMA their coolers.

I will be replacing my now aging H100i with an NH-D15 as soon as funds permit.

I bought an H100i earlier this year. The thing is so cheaply made, they used glue to hold the connectors in place on the water block. They came apart the second time I reattached my cables and once the first one goes, the second one isn't really glued to anything at all. Luckily I was able to get a refund.

I went with a Noctua fan and couldn't be happier. Much more quite and the temps on water coolers just keep rising as the water gets heated up. The Notua actually keeps temps cooler long term. If only I did my research before springing for the AIO I would have avoided a big headache.

Sep 27, 2017 at 10:25 AM
       9       10       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

9       10       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.