FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · For those of you with a tilt shift

carriedaway
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · For those of you with a tilt shift

Real estate/architectural photography is becoming a pretty prominent part of my business, and I'm pretty sure I want to invest in a tilt shift lens for that.

I also shoot around 30-40 weddings a year, and I know some of you incorporate a tilt shift into those. So I'm wondering if you guys use your tilt shift throughout the day as a wide angle (during getting ready and what not), or only when you want the more artsy couple shots (blurred out bottom/top frame is what I've mainly seen).

Just curious to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

Apr 13, 2017 at 09:47 AM
jcolman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · For those of you with a tilt shift

I have the 45 T/S and use it very sparingly. Mainly for artsy shots.

Apr 13, 2017 at 10:35 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · For those of you with a tilt shift

carriedaway wrote:
Real estate/architectural photography is becoming a pretty prominent part of my business, and I'm pretty sure I want to invest in a tilt shift lens for that.

You will get far more use out of it with your Realestate work than with your weddings.

Apr 13, 2017 at 10:48 AM
Chris Cooke
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · For those of you with a tilt shift

Youre about 5 years too late with the T/S trend in weddings.
It was all over here for a while then the look fizzled out and its not really "in"
anymore

Apr 13, 2017 at 11:51 AM
carriedaway
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · For those of you with a tilt shift

Chris Cooke wrote:
Youre about 5 years too late with the T/S trend in weddings.
It was all over here for a while then the look fizzled out and its not really "in"
anymore

Yes, I've noticed that. That's why I was wondering if anyone uses it as a normal wide angle without using the tilt shift capabilities. Probably doesn't make any sense, eh?

Apr 13, 2017 at 02:01 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · For those of you with a tilt shift

I have a full set of TS lenses. Don't even pack them for weddings.

Gordon

Apr 13, 2017 at 06:52 PM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · For those of you with a tilt shift

carriedaway wrote:
Yes, I've noticed that. That's why I was wondering if anyone uses it as a normal wide angle without using the tilt shift capabilities. Probably doesn't make any sense, eh?

Not a wedding shooter but I use the Canon 17 TS-E as a normal wide angle lens for shooting bands as it has little distortion for musicians at the sides (plus it can be shifted).

Apr 15, 2017 at 03:34 PM
myam203
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · For those of you with a tilt shift

I have a 24mm tilt shift, which I haven't tried at a wedding yet, but I think you *really* have to use it skillfully and sparingly to have good results. One thing I would like to try though is some sort of panorama. With my lens, I easily merge two shots, one shifted all the way to the left and one to the right. If I put a subject about in the center of the left shot, they end up about a third of the way into the merged panorama, which works out great.

Apr 16, 2017 at 08:38 AM
MrGubrz
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · For those of you with a tilt shift

got a drone? everyone loves a shot as if youre driving up the driveway, and then flying over to the front door... then transfer over to a steadycam walk thru of the house, breaks at each room entry with screen text describing room dimensions and features
easy peasy! plus a drone can get a shot from higher up, no ts needed hehehehe

just a thought!

Apr 20, 2017 at 07:41 PM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · For those of you with a tilt shift

I actually use my 45 TS for rings.

Apr 21, 2017 at 07:54 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · For those of you with a tilt shift

DannyBostwick wrote:
I actually use my 45 TS for rings.

That actually makes a lot of sense. Good (albeit expensive) way to keep the right parts in focus.

Apr 21, 2017 at 12:34 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · For those of you with a tilt shift

For weddings I want to carry as little gear as possible and so I only use my tilt shift lenses for landscape and product photography. At weddings I don't even take a macro lens but use a screw on +4 closeup lens on my 24-70mm zoom for those few shots where I want it.

Apr 24, 2017 at 05:50 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.