New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

CL and CH mode always resulting in multiple shots

Mike_5D
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · CL and CH mode always resulting in multiple shots

I picked up an XT-1 recently. I cannot seem to get a single shot while in either continuous shooting mode. The best I can do is two frames, but it's frequently 3 in CH mode. I've tried different techniques for touching the shutter but can't get it. Is this camera's shutter button particularly sensitive or am I overlooking a setting somewhere? Yes, I know I can switch to S mode, but I've never had this problem on other cameras.

Mar 21, 2017 at 05:17 AM
liggy
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · CL and CH mode always resulting in multiple shots

? Ummm... You choose a continuous mode instead of a single shot mode and want a single shot?

I can see why squeezing a single shot might be handy if it were hard to go from CH CL or S but it's a piece of cake to rotate the dial.

Mar 21, 2017 at 05:30 AM
Mike_5D
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · CL and CH mode always resulting in multiple shots

liggy wrote:
? Ummm... You choose a continuous mode instead of a single shot mode and want a single shot?

I can see why squeezing a single shot might be handy if it were hard to go from CH CL or S but it's a piece of cake to rotate the dial.

My regular camera is a 5D3. I almost always leave it on continuous shooting mode. Press = single shot. Hold = continuous shooting. No need to switch modes in the middle of shooting.

Mar 21, 2017 at 05:46 AM
liggy
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · CL and CH mode always resulting in multiple shots

Just messing with you. Every camera is different. But it only tales a fraction of a second to turn the drive dial one click.

Mar 21, 2017 at 05:49 AM
mdude85
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · CL and CH mode always resulting in multiple shots

I can take a single shot on my X-T2 in CL mode. It might help to turn the CL all the way down to 3 fps.

Mar 21, 2017 at 01:09 PM
rsk7
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · CL and CH mode always resulting in multiple shots

I had/have a hard time with X-T1 but it is easier with X-T2 in CL. CH still gets off 2 or more.

Mar 21, 2017 at 02:59 PM
Mike_5D
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · CL and CH mode always resulting in multiple shots

rsk7 wrote:
I had/have a hard time with X-T1 but it is easier with X-T2 in CL. CH still gets off 2 or more.

Im happy to know it's not just me.

Mar 21, 2017 at 08:22 PM
Scott Grant
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · CL and CH mode always resulting in multiple shots

That is only going to happen with the X-T2. It was one of the requested development changes over the X-T1. Even the X-Pro2 will take two photos for one light touch.

Mar 21, 2017 at 10:23 PM
CMcG01
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · CL and CH mode always resulting in multiple shots

I guess I got used to it but it drove me nuts, too. I use a 1ds iii along with Fujis and expected the responsiveness you get from Canon's continuous drive modes but get rapid fire no matter how I try.....

Mar 22, 2017 at 03:01 AM
Sorbet
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · CL and CH mode always resulting in multiple shots

This is a significant design flaw with Fuji cameras. It shouldn't happen. I experienced it when I owned the X-T1 and I now experience it with the X-Pro2. I have never had this issue with any of many Canon cameras. With Canon I can be on CL all of the time and get the best of both: always ready for a single shot or for multiple. Yes, changing the mode takes a brief moment, but it means that YOU MUST CHANGE THE MODE or regularly get caught with too many photos when you want only one, or with only one photo when you wanted several. Life happens too quickly for this sort of foolish design to keep interrupting. Controls should do what you expect, and I certainly don't expect a slight touch in CL to result in 2 images. It's become another item on my personal list of Fuji quirks that I am resigned to muddle through in order to have the other benefits of the camera.

Mar 22, 2017 at 04:18 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mike_5D
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · CL and CH mode always resulting in multiple shots

Sorbet wrote:
This is a significant design flaw with Fuji cameras. It shouldn't happen. I experienced it when I owned the X-T1 and I now experience it with the X-Pro2. I have never had this issue with any of many Canon cameras. With Canon I can be on CL all of the time and get the best of both: always ready for a single shot or for multiple. Yes, changing the mode takes a brief moment, but it means that YOU MUST CHANGE THE MODE or regularly get caught with too many photos when you want only one, or with only one
...Show more

Having shot Canon for years, it's just so weird that the XT-1 can't take a single frame while in continuous drive mode. There are many things I like about the Fuji, but this is definitely not one of them. I just don't see any reason for this behavior.

Mar 22, 2017 at 04:38 AM
Ubuhle
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · CL and CH mode always resulting in multiple shots

I had the same issue with my XT-1. Being a Canon shooter I was used to be able to control my bursts. It was one feature that I did not like about the camera.

Mar 22, 2017 at 06:30 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · CL and CH mode always resulting in multiple shots

I guess other than the perfectly valid reason that if you are in continuous shutter mode that the shutter will continuously actuate until you are done. Of course, there is a perfectly good mode for single shot actuations.

Just because it is different doesn't make it wrong or flawed. Fuji has even addressed it a bit in the XT-2 with CL. CH is still going to give a few actuations.

Myself, I use single shot when I want one shot, continuous when I need a burst. It is different than my Sony's were, but that doesn't make either of them broken. It's just the differences in design.

Mar 22, 2017 at 06:51 PM
Mike_5D
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · CL and CH mode always resulting in multiple shots

TheEmrys wrote:
I guess other than the perfectly valid reason that if you are in continuous shutter mode that the shutter will continuously actuate until you are done. Of course, there is a perfectly good mode for single shot actuations.

Just because it is different doesn't make it wrong or flawed. Fuji has even addressed it a bit in the XT-2 with CL. CH is still going to give a few actuations.

Myself, I use single shot when I want one shot, continuous when I need a burst. It is different than my Sony's were, but that doesn't make either of them broken.
...Show more

I'm sorry, but making it impossible to get a single shot no matter how briefly the button is pressed is a flaw. Expecting the user to constantly switch modes is a flaw. I probably wear the lever out in a month. I guess it's a good thing SD cards are cheap.

Mar 23, 2017 at 07:57 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · CL and CH mode always resulting in multiple shots

You need to examine what a flaw actually means.... Sure it could be a nuisance. But it is working as designed. Dare I say, it is working flawlessly as designed?

Mar 23, 2017 at 08:21 PM
Mike_5D
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · CL and CH mode always resulting in multiple shots

TheEmrys wrote:
You need to examine what a flaw actually means.... Sure it could be a nuisance. But it is working as designed. Dare I say, it is working flawlessly as designed?

OK, then call it a design flaw, like Windows 8. It did what they intended, but it was still a poor user experience.

Mar 23, 2017 at 10:48 PM
Sorbet
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · CL and CH mode always resulting in multiple shots

Poor user experience ... poor design ... design error ... design flaw ... mistake. Doesn't matter what one calls it. It shouldn't happen. If I press the shutter ever so briefly, it's because I want just one shot. I understand CH going into multiple shots right away because it's 8 fps. But CL is only 3fps (on an X-Pro2). Surely I can press the shutter for 1/3 of a second (or less) and get just one shot? Well, no.

Mar 24, 2017 at 05:29 AM
gyoung143
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · CL and CH mode always resulting in multiple shots

Continuous means continuous to me, single means one shot, its a design decision at least as valid as Canons IMHO.
Just one of the many differences in the way different makes operate, which one needs to adapt to.

Gerry

Mar 24, 2017 at 10:30 AM
Homo_erectus

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · CL and CH mode always resulting in multiple shots

I shoot in CL almost exclusively on my X-Pro 2 these days and have no problem getting a single shot. It struck me as being very hard to control at first (coming from Nikon) but didn't take long to adapt to.

It's hard (maybe impossible) to get a single shot in CH, but two is doable with practice.

Every manufacturers cameras work a bit differently, either you adapt or you stay with the brand your muscle memory was trained on.

Mar 24, 2017 at 05:22 PM
Sorbet
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · CL and CH mode always resulting in multiple shots

Homo_erectus wrote:
I shoot in CL almost exclusively on my X-Pro 2 these days and have no problem getting a single shot. It struck me as being very hard to control at first (coming from Nikon) but didn't take long to adapt to.

It's hard (maybe impossible) to get a single shot in CH, but two is doable with practice.

Every manufacturers cameras work a bit differently, either you adapt or you stay with the brand your muscle memory was trained on.

Getting a single shot in CL is absolutely impossible on my X-Pro2. The slightest, briefest touch of the shutter release results in 2 images always. I suspect your X-Pro2's shutter was somehow tuned a little differently at the factory. Or perhaps there is some other setting that indirectly impacts on this function.

gyoung143 wrote:
Continuous means continuous to me, single means one shot, its a design decision at least as valid as Canons IMHO.
Just one of the many differences in the way different makes operate, which one needs to adapt to.

Gerry

If the camera shoots 3 frames per second, then pressing the shutter for 1/3 second or less should logically result in only one shot, even if the camera is set to continuous. But that's not the case. This design is simply illogical. It totally fails to distinguish between pressing the shutter for 1/10 second and 2/3 second either way you get 2 images.

Mar 25, 2017 at 04:59 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password