New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Non generic corporate headshot

Bespoked
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Non generic corporate headshot

I was offered the opportunity to push the envelope with a recent corporate headshot brief.
I shot the standards, then, took the CEO (and other select staff) aside to take the shots further and one of the captures was as follows:

This is in interesting self-made man who's built an empire in a very competitive industry in a difficult market.
I love the timber in his face, his hand made suits and he's imposing but friendly demeanour that commands instant respect.

I went for a low key ish look with a vintage/film sepia tone ish kind of colour/feel, but still wanted it to be usable as a corporate portrait for magazines or documentary, not too artistic.

Mar 21, 2017 at 04:01 AM
eeneryma
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Non generic corporate headshot

Bespoked wrote:
I was offered the opportunity to push the envelope with a recent corporate headshot brief.
I shot the standards, then, took the CEO (and other select staff) aside to take the shots further and one of the captures was as follows:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2844/33522752666_222f0f6589_o.png

This is in interesting self-made man who's built an empire in a very competitive industry in a difficult market.
I love the timber in his face, his hand made suits and he's imposing but friendly demeanour that commands instant respect.

I went for a low key ish look with a vintage/film sepia tone ish kind of colour/feel, but still wanted it to be
...Show more

Interesting and challenging assignment shooting corporate headshots. A few observations:
1. The left side of the CEO'S face looks overexposed. Did you use a meter to check your exposure? Correct me if I'm wrong, this appears to be a one light setup, Rembrandt style lighting, with a softbox.

2. I recommend composing to show all of his hands or none of his hands.

3. I would clone out the indistinct objects in the top right corner of your portrait.

4. Your lighting emphasizes all the lines and wrinkles in your subject's face. Is this the look you were going for?

5. The aspect ratio of the photo seems awkward to me, too tall and thin. Is this a standard ratio, or did you crop the photo? Perhaps the lines in the gentleman's suit emphasize the verticality that I feel.

Steve

Mar 21, 2017 at 08:43 AM
Bespoked
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Non generic corporate headshot

Thanks for your feedback.
I've always tackled corporate work with the usual boring three light setup and yes, this was a single light in a soft box at just above eye level.

Not that I'm making excuses, but I had zero budget for this and the client would sit still for about 1 minute, so it was VERY rushed, it was after a 2 hour shoot for 6 other staff.
This was a love job to impress the client who I'm friendly with and tbh, admire as he's a very fair man who gives me plenty of work. It's the first and only opportunity I've had to do this for him, so I'd really like to nail it

The aspect ratio of the original you saw was the camera original 2:3 (A7RII, lens was 85GM at f5.6, ISO640), it was not cropped at all, not rotated either, no camera profile added, nothing, in fact I simply raised exposure and contrast as well as de-saturating slightly.

I had another that I didn't like as much that was copped and had some (low quality) healing:

I'm not great at photoshop and prefer to tinker only with colour and expsoure and very mildly.

I did want to emphasise the lines in his face, I called the portrait 'Timber' as his face has a lot of timber in it, a lot of character. He's a big, burly man that moves with confidence, very well known in his field and this suits his character which many people know very well.

Appreciate your time Steve!

Mar 21, 2017 at 11:30 AM
eeneryma
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Non generic corporate headshot

Bespoked wrote:
Thanks for your feedback.
I've always tackled corporate work with the usual boring three light setup and yes, this was a single light in a soft box at just above eye level.

Not that I'm making excuses, but I had zero budget for this and the client would sit still for about 1 minute, so it was VERY rushed, it was after a 2 hour shoot for 6 other staff.
This was a love job to impress the client who I'm friendly with and tbh, admire as he's a very fair man who gives me plenty of work. It's the first and only
...Show more

As I mentioned, corporate headshots can be challenging. Many senior staff people are impatient and eager to be done with the process as quickly as possilbe. Getting them involved in a conversation and distracting them is sometimes a helpful tactic to buy you more time.

This black and white with a differrent crop aspect ratio works much better for me, although I still feel that the left side of his face is somewhat overexposed.

Improving your photoshop skills is essential to every photographer's success these days.

Steve

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:33 PM
Bespoked
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Non generic corporate headshot

Thanks Steve, his right side of his face isn't overexposed, nothing is blown and there's plenty of detail, there about 1 stop before anything is starting to clip.

I can pull the highlights down but I think it makes the image flat and I lose the contrast that this shot needs imo.

I used a TTL Nissin as the only light source.

Mar 21, 2017 at 01:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

eeneryma
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Non generic corporate headshot

Bespoked wrote:
Thanks Steve, his right side of his face isn't overexposed, nothing is blown and there's plenty of detail, there about 1 stop before anything is starting to clip.

I can pull the highlights down but I think it makes the image flat and I lose the contrast that this shot needs imo.

I used a TTL Nissin as the only light source.

Sorry, my monitor at work is not calibrated. . Looking closer, exposure seems ok on the BW.

Steve

Mar 21, 2017 at 02:18 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Non generic corporate headshot

When you post a .png file without color space info, I'm not sure whether the colors I see are what you intend. A jpeg with color space info let's us know we see the colors you see.

Mar 21, 2017 at 09:57 PM
Bespoked
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Non generic corporate headshot

eeneryma wrote:
Sorry, my monitor at work is not calibrated. . Looking closer, exposure seems ok on the BW.

I do like to keep faces bright usually, some like it, some don't, it isn't technically even close to clipping, but that doesn't mean it's not too bright for your tastes and possibly distracting. This is why I asked for the critique and I appreciate your feedback.

I've sent him the photo and his wife has told me she absolutely loves it and was wondering how he sat still for long enough to capture the image!

Mar 22, 2017 at 04:33 AM
Bespoked
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Non generic corporate headshot

AuntiPode wrote:
When you post a .png file without color space info, I'm not sure whether the colors I see are what you intend. A jpeg with color space info let's us know we see the colors you see.

I thought I saved as a JPG, I usually do, apologies.
I've decided on the B&W version anyway.

Mar 22, 2017 at 04:34 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password