New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Profoto Air Remote TTL-N with Speedlights

ryuemura

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Profoto Air Remote TTL-N with Speedlights

A little background of where I am now. I have 4 speedlights that I use at weddings, along with 2 Profoto B1's. Depending on the site, I'll use a speedlight on each of my D810's to bounce light. Some situations where bouncing is not an option, I mount my B1's and speedlight on stands in all 4 corners of the room, facing towards the dance floor. I use my Air Remote TTL-N to trigger the B1's, and have my speedlights on slave. This has not been an issue so far. FWIW, I only use manual on all of my lights/strobes, I don't use TTL during weddings. I fairly understand the complications when using TTL in multiple lighting setups.

So, my question is in regards to using a speedlight on camera to bounce and using my Air Remote TTL-N at the same time to use as kickers. Has anybody tried this or know of a way to make this possible? The main reason, is so I have light on my subject when I need it. There have been numerous times when my off-camera lights create too harsh of lighting and shadows. This is caused from guests in the way of my lights, and/or I'm not in the right position.

I bought a hotshoe splitter from this company called, Andoer from Amazon, it looks like it has the right terminal contacts. But we'll see if this works. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Edited on Mar 20, 2017 at 04:22 PM · View previous versions

Mar 20, 2017 at 03:54 AM
Elijah
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Profoto Air Remote TTL-N with Speedlights

ryuemura wrote:
A little background of where I am now. I have 4 speedlites that I use at weddings, along with 2 Profoto B1's. Depending on the site, I'll use a speedlite on each of my D810's to bounce light. Some situations where bouncing is not an option, I mount my B1's and speedlites on stands in all 4 corners of the room, facing towards the dance floor. I use my Air Remote TTL-N to trigger the B1's, and have my speedlites on slave. This has not been an issue so far. FWIW, I only use manual on all of my lights/strobes,
...Show more

This very same problem I'm having as well!
I actually thought about completely dumping the Profoto system but it's too good to dump; I REALLY like my two B1's that I have along with the B2 that's coming.
I am also heavily invested in profoto modifiers so I just don't think dumping the whole system is a good idea.

This is one of the reasons I loved my Cactus V6 triggers; I was able to mount my on camera flash (which acted as a bounce TTL passthrough) while triggering off camera flash at the same time.
This is the first time I'm hearing about a hotshooe splitter... I am definitely interested on how it works with the air remote & Speedlite.
Let us know how it works out!

Mar 20, 2017 at 04:10 AM
ryuemura

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Profoto Air Remote TTL-N with Speedlights

Glad I'm not the only one. I'm getting the hotshoe splitter in tomorrow. I'll give it a try and see what happens. *crossing fingers*

Mar 20, 2017 at 04:39 AM
sk66
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Profoto Air Remote TTL-N with Speedlights

If you mount the speedlight on a bracket you should be able to trigger it via PC cable while using the Air in the hotshoe (assuming SB800+ or other equipped).
But I don't see any reason why those TTL splitters shouldn't work in manual. My only concern would be loading up the hotshoe with too much weight/bulk.

Mar 20, 2017 at 02:31 PM
sidd
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Profoto Air Remote TTL-N with Speedlights

I was in the same boat (albeit with Canon and Profoto).
What I have done is use the pocketwizard 4, which does a TTL passthrough - on camera with the on camera flash - that triggers all the Canon flashes as needed. And I trigger my B1s with a couple of older PWs that I had lying around.

Mar 20, 2017 at 09:14 PM
Elijah
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Profoto Air Remote TTL-N with Speedlights

sidd wrote:
I was in the same boat (albeit with Canon and Profoto).
What I have done is use the pocketwizard 4, which does a TTL passthrough - on camera with the on camera flash - that triggers all the Canon flashes as needed. And I trigger my B1s with a couple of older PWs that I had lying around.

I'll probably be doing the same exact thing for this wedding season and see how it'll work out.
Except I will not be buying overpriced pocketwizards. I'll get some more Cactus V6's

Mar 20, 2017 at 10:23 PM
sidd
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Profoto Air Remote TTL-N with Speedlights

Elijah wrote:
I'll probably be doing the same exact thing for this wedding season and see how it'll work out.
Except I will not be buying overpriced pocketwizards. I'll get some more Cactus V6's

Yeah - if I were to start today, I wouldn't go with PW maybe - many cheaper options available. I just had a few PW from long time ago.

Mar 21, 2017 at 03:30 AM
ryuemura

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Profoto Air Remote TTL-N with Speedlights

sk66 wrote:
If you mount the speedlight on a bracket you should be able to trigger it via PC cable while using the Air in the hotshoe (assuming SB800+ or other equipped).
But I don't see any reason why those TTL splitters shouldn't work in manual. My only concern would be loading up the hotshoe with too much weight/bulk.

The hot shoe splitter itself didn't work, even in manual. I'll try to use a PC sync cable for the speedlight, and the Air Remote on the hot shoe to see if this works. If not, I'm going to return the hot shoe splitter and trying another option.

Mar 21, 2017 at 06:17 AM
story_teller
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Profoto Air Remote TTL-N with Speedlights

The Profoto B1's could be triggered through the sync port by optical slave triggers and you could still use the air remote to adjust power on the B1's.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Optical-Slaves/ci/1736/N/4168864834

Not sure if that's what you're looking for.

Mar 21, 2017 at 11:20 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sk66
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Profoto Air Remote TTL-N with Speedlights

ryuemura wrote:
The hot shoe splitter itself didn't work, even in manual. I'll try to use a PC sync cable for the speedlight, and the Air Remote on the hot shoe to see if this works. If not, I'm going to return the hot shoe splitter and trying another option.

That's odd... you did get the TTL/wired splitter right? I saw some that were just brackets w/o electrical contacts.

Mar 21, 2017 at 01:26 PM
ryuemura

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Profoto Air Remote TTL-N with Speedlights

Finally found a working solution, it was much simpler than I expected. I went with keeping my SB-910 on the hot shoe, then used this pc male to hot shoe adapter that mounted on a bracket with my Air Remote TTL-N. All of my settings are in manual, I haven't tried TTL yet. Thanks for all of the advice!

Here are some quick pictures of the setup.

Mar 22, 2017 at 06:26 AM
RobertQ

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Profoto Air Remote TTL-N with Speedlights

You should be able to use a Cactus trigger on the camera and mount the speedlight on top of that. Each B1 would have another Cactus as a receiver with a sync cable. You could just keep the Profoto remote in your pocket and use as needed to adjust power. (It wouldn't do the actual triggering)

Mar 22, 2017 at 07:42 AM
sk66
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Profoto Air Remote TTL-N with Speedlights

ryuemura wrote:
Finally found a working solution, it was much simpler than I expected.

Cool, glad it worked. I suggested using the PC cable to the speedlight instead as that would allow you to get the flash a little farther away, and flash brackets can usually "flip" for portrait orientation shots.

Mar 22, 2017 at 10:08 PM
Elijah
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Profoto Air Remote TTL-N with Speedlights

This is my solution. I will be getting more of these Cactus V6's, thanks to this thread discussion.
For the last 2 years I either used on-camera flash bounce or profoto remote, never the two together.
I never bothered to find a solution until this thread came up. I also think that the bottom plate bracket is unsafe...
I sure would knock off the remote the first hour of using it
That is because I use MoneyMaker dual strap... The bracket will keep hitting my hip, that's for sure!

NIKON D750    105.0 mm f/1.4 lens    105mm    f/1.4    1/200s    1250 ISO    0.0 EV  

Mar 23, 2017 at 03:02 AM
ryuemura

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Profoto Air Remote TTL-N with Speedlights

Elijah wrote:
This is my solution. I will be getting more of these Cactus V6's, thanks to this thread discussion.
For the last 2 years I either used on-camera flash bounce or profoto remote, never the two together.
I never bothered to find a solution until this thread came up. I also think that the bottom plate bracket is unsafe...
I sure would knock off the remote the first hour of using it
That is because I use MoneyMaker dual strap... The bracket will keep hitting my hip, that's for sure!

You're not having any problems with the speedlight firing on top of the Cactus V6? I tried this with my PW MiniTT1 and I could never get the two to fire simultaneously. This is why I personally scraped the idea of mounting my speedlight on top of another remote. These Profoto remotes have been very reliable and consistent, so I wanted to keep these in my setup if possible. I'm still trying to find a better solution to place my Profoto remote, I won't be using that ^^ bracket, I just used it because it's all that I have right now...=P I also use the "Moneymaker" dual strap, so the idea of the remote getting knocked off is definitely a concern.

Mar 23, 2017 at 06:14 AM
Elijah
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Profoto Air Remote TTL-N with Speedlights

ryuemura wrote:
You're not having any problems with the speedlight firing on top of the Cactus V6? I tried this with my PW MiniTT1 and I could never get the two to fire simultaneously. This is why I personally scraped the idea of mounting my speedlight on top of another remote. These Profoto remotes have been very reliable and consistent, so I wanted to keep these in my setup if possible. I'm still trying to find a better solution to place my Profoto remote, I won't be using that ^^ bracket, I just used it because it's all that I have right
...Show more

Zero issues. It took me literally an hour or a little more trying to figure out how to set it up.
Once it's setup, it's a dream to work with. I shoot completely full manual mode, while in full TTL mode on flash, which is compensated by the exposure compensation button.
I control the power of the strobes with my Profoto air remote that will be hanging on my neck all day (when using strobes of course) but I normally shoot at the lowest setting on the strobes since the venues are generally darker.

I plan to give the V6 to my second shooter so he can have the same exact setup, albeit not being able to control B1/B2 strobes.
This is where the need for a second $411 air remote goes out the window; my second shooter will not need the air remote when using the V6.

Mar 26, 2017 at 04:53 AM
ryuemura

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Profoto Air Remote TTL-N with Speedlights

Hmm, interesting. I'm selling all of my Nikon gear now, but this is still very useful information as I transition into Sony. I should just hang my Air remote from my neck or my "Moneymaker" as well, hahaha! FWIW, I have 2 TTL-N's for sale, like new condition for $350/ea. They still have the plastic on the screens.

Mar 26, 2017 at 08:28 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password