New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Astrophotography with 6D vs 5D mark IV

secondclaw
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Astrophotography with 6D vs 5D mark IV

I'll planning a trip to photograph night sky in Death Valley next week, and thinking of renting one of Canon cameras for duration. I know that in the past, 6D was the king of astro due to low dark current noise, but I also wouldn't mind a higher resolution camera as well so I've been looking at 5D4. Has anyone compared them for wide field asto? Is there another Canon option?
I'm planning on overnight astro time lapse, and I seriously doubt my a7r would last whole night, and I'm just not familiar with Nikons, so some Canon is my best option. I would likely use the Rokinon 14mm with whatever camera I end up with.
Thanks for any advise!

Mar 17, 2017 at 08:11 PM
newphoto
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Astrophotography with 6D vs 5D mark IV

Never used the 5D IV for night photography, so no help there. On the other hand the 6D paired with a Rokinon 14mm is my go to rig for the Milky Way. Great results at least at 3200 ISO.

Mar 17, 2017 at 09:44 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Astrophotography with 6D vs 5D mark IV

Haven't tried Astro on mine yet.
I have the tether tools power adapter for my A7r which worked well for the Perseids last summer. Just get an extra power pack to keep it running all night.
5D4 uses more battery juice than the 5d3

Mar 17, 2017 at 11:07 PM
Isaacheus
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Astrophotography with 6D vs 5D mark IV

I use my 6d for astro timelapse, but I'm yet to find someone who has tried the mk4. Quite interested in how you'd find the mk4 if you go that route. I haven't liked the 5mk3 for astro nearly as much as the 6

Depending on the temperature, I find the 6d batteries last quite well, but I'd take spares just in case. The other to keep in mind is fogging on the rokinon 14, I find mine is prone to condensation, so I leave about 10 seconds between shots usually to have the option of wiping the front clean, if I don't have a lens warmer.

Edited on Mar 18, 2017 at 12:00 AM · View previous versions

Mar 17, 2017 at 11:18 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Astrophotography with 6D vs 5D mark IV

secondclaw wrote:
I'll planning a trip to photograph night sky in Death Valley next week, and thinking of renting one of Canon cameras for duration. I know that in the past, 6D was the king of astro due to low dark current noise, but I also wouldn't mind a higher resolution camera as well so I've been looking at 5D4. Has anyone compared them for wide field asto? Is there another Canon option?
I'm planning on overnight astro time lapse, and I seriously doubt my a7r would last whole night, and I'm just not familiar with Nikons, so some Canon is my best
...Show more

Actually I believe the 7D2 beats out the 6D for long exposure low noise...

The pattern (banding) noise of the 7D Mark II sets new lows for Canon (that is good), lower than the Canon 6D, which is now second best in this regard. With low read noise, the 7D Mark II camera is superb for low light work.

http://www.clarkvision.com/reviews/evaluation-canon-7dii/

That all being said, I am not sure if the 5D4 has been tested since, to see how it compares. I will dig through his site and see.

Mar 17, 2017 at 11:39 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Astrophotography with 6D vs 5D mark IV

Ive had a play with files, 5d4 looks very close to 6d for astro

Mar 18, 2017 at 02:38 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Astrophotography with 6D vs 5D mark IV

Issac,
For timelpase do you have time to switch out batteries and keep it going? Not having done any, I had assumed the switch out would cause a weird jump in the movie. I do find the tether tool battery setup convenient. It's one less thing to check.

I never had any dew at Arches NP. On the east coast, I'm just happy if a low ground fog layer never forms below the clear skies. Dew straps are pretty essential for me. If the death valley dew point is way below the predicted low temp, you'd prob be fine without one. They are fairly inexpensive. Supplying the battery power for it means having another power pack in your bag.

Mar 18, 2017 at 07:28 AM
Ming-Tzu
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Astrophotography with 6D vs 5D mark IV

dgdg wrote:
Issac,
For timelpase do you have time to switch out batteries and keep it going? Not having done any, I had assumed the switch out would cause a weird jump in the movie. I do find the tether tool battery setup convenient. It's one less thing to check.

I never had any dew at Arches NP. On the east coast, I'm just happy if a low ground fog layer never forms below the clear skies. Dew straps are pretty essential for me. If the death valley dew point is way below the predicted low temp, you'd prob be fine without one. They
...Show more

I was thinking about buying hand warmers and attaching to my lens using rubber bands. Do you recommend that, or the dew strips for occasional astro? Product suggestions for strips and/or batteries?

Mar 18, 2017 at 07:43 AM
EGrav
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Astrophotography with 6D vs 5D mark IV

I used a dew strip/warmer for a while - worked great. But kind of a hassle. Started using clean, elastic sweat bands (wrist or head, depending on size of lens) with hand warmers stuck underneath. The terry cloth material keeps the heat in. Works great - no tape, batteries, etc. My dew strip/warmer sits on the shelf now. YMMV

Mar 18, 2017 at 08:48 AM
Ming-Tzu
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Astrophotography with 6D vs 5D mark IV

EGrav wrote:
I used a dew strip/warmer for a while - worked great. But kind of a hassle. Started using clean, elastic sweat bands (wrist or head, depending on size of lens) with hand warmers stuck underneath. The terry cloth material keeps the heat in. Works great - no tape, batteries, etc. My dew strip/warmer sits on the shelf now. YMMV

ooo the sweat bands is a brilliant idea. Better than rubber bands and solves the issue of putting a small towel on there to keep the warmth in. Nice!

Do you guys put the heat on the lens beforehand, and if so, how much before? And you keep it on there the whole time you're shooting?

Mar 18, 2017 at 08:51 AM
EGrav
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Astrophotography with 6D vs 5D mark IV

I put it on when I get onsite and leave it on till I am done.

Want to buy a dew heater and strips?

Mar 18, 2017 at 09:50 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Astrophotography with 6D vs 5D mark IV

I've used long ski socks and hand warmer packs too. I recommend hand warmer packs for occasional astro. I would shove the packs in the sock and loosely tie it on the barrel. They work great for shorter nights that aren't too cold or very very humid. If shooting an all night timelpase or a meteor shower composite, I'd definitely get a dew strap.
The sweatband idea is pretty brilliant. Very 80's
If the hand warmer packs get too cold and the lens dews, there's no going back. So you do have to check on them if you're out for more than a couple hours.
The dew strap provides a mild heat to the touch. You have to put it on right away before the lens cools and keep it on until you're done shooting. It's not that bulky compared to a bunch of hand warmer packs, but every extra item adds up.

Mar 18, 2017 at 10:21 AM
Ming-Tzu
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Astrophotography with 6D vs 5D mark IV

If you get a dew strap, don't you also need to get a corresponding battery pack of sorts? So two additional items?

Any suggestions for brands, products, etc?

Mar 18, 2017 at 10:43 AM
secondclaw
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Astrophotography with 6D vs 5D mark IV

Thanks for suggestions everyone! I do have a 7D2, and will bring it along ... Just hoping for a wider field of view.
I also have a USB powered lens warmer in case I need it.

Mar 18, 2017 at 11:29 AM
kirbic

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Astrophotography with 6D vs 5D mark IV

I recently took the 5D IV up to the summit of Haleakala, got some very good, not quite perfect skies. Here is one of the resulting images:

https://kirbic.smugmug.com/Travel/Maui-2017/i-vKDxRkX/O

It's a stack of six two-minutes exposures for the sky (tracked with an iOptron SkyTracker Pro) and one 2-minute exposure for the landscape. Lens was the Sigma 20/1.4 Art at f/2.8
I've also used the 6D for astro work, and I think the 5D IV is every bit the equal in noise, has better dynamic range, and of course significantly higher resolution.

Edit to add: temperature was 36 degrees F with about 15mph wind. We shot from about 2:30 AM until 07:30. I went through one battery and about half of another (OEM LP6Ns).

Mar 18, 2017 at 12:02 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Astrophotography with 6D vs 5D mark IV

How do you like the ioptron Pro?
Have you done anything longer than 2 min?

Mar 18, 2017 at 02:44 PM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Astrophotography with 6D vs 5D mark IV

Why not the 5DsR? You want big files, that will do it.

Mar 18, 2017 at 04:20 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Astrophotography with 6D vs 5D mark IV

5dsr is terrible for astro

Mar 18, 2017 at 04:22 PM
mjc
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Astrophotography with 6D vs 5D mark IV

5dsr not good for astro, why is that?

Mar 18, 2017 at 04:58 PM
secondclaw
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Astrophotography with 6D vs 5D mark IV

I've decided to rent 5D mark IV ... we'll see how it goes. I'll have my 7D2 with me, just in case ...
Thanks everyone!

Mar 18, 2017 at 05:21 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.