New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Book for learning Photoshop - recommendations needed

grani13
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Book for learning Photoshop - recommendations needed

Hello,

my wife is keen on learning some PS...and I would like to give her some learning support in form of a comprehensible book. She is at the beginner level in photo editing.

What she wants to do is

- create some (creative) promotional flyers for her business (adding graphic elements, boxes, blending, text)
- minor photo editing and manipulation

While there seems to be a ton of literature on PS - can anyone with 1st hand experience recommend one to start with? Preferably a well illustrated, easy to follow book that is not too basic (don't need a guide that starts as low as explaining how to open a file, even though I said she is a "beginner")

What about the "Adobe Photoshop CC Classroom" or one of the Scott Kelby books?

Appreciate your feedback
thanks
Christian

Mar 17, 2017 at 08:37 AM
dhlewis
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Book for learning Photoshop - recommendations needed

Check out Martin Evening, he has issued his PS book for many versions. Great reference as well as very good examples. Photoshop is so comprehensive that you need a way to look up the proper use of every tool. Kelby tends to focus his books on the project approach.

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:04 PM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Book for learning Photoshop - recommendations needed

if you order a Scott Kelby book, get one with spiral binding so it opens flat
he has a very step by step process that's easy to learn

Mar 17, 2017 at 01:11 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Book for learning Photoshop - recommendations needed

YouTube. Not only is it free, but you get a visual demonstration of any process you could possibly imagine, everything from the basics to walk-throughs of extremely complicated processes. You can have the video playing on one monitor (or one side of a single monitor) while you follow along on the other - it's perfect, like having your own personal tutor.

Everyone is different but most people learn by doing - if you can see someone demonstrate every little detail all the while explaining it, and then try to replicate it yourself, personally I think that is far better than any book will ever be able to teach. I couldn't imagine trying to learn photoshop from a traditional book.

Mar 17, 2017 at 08:30 PM
walts.photo
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Book for learning Photoshop - recommendations needed

Like CanadaMark says, video is much easier for learning a complex thing like Photoshop. Seeing it in action and mimicking is key to making your own muscle memory. Kinda like learning to drive a car.

Youtube is good, but there is so much and it varies greatly in quality and focus. As a beginner the easiest for me is the Creativelive videos - I catch them when they are broadcast free, but if I was in a hurry I would just purchase one.

Mar 17, 2017 at 08:52 PM
JJBub
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Book for learning Photoshop - recommendations needed

IMO, the best way to learn Photoshop is from Ben Willmore. He is a master of putting things into a logical progression and is a wonderful teacher. Check out creativelive.com and search for Ben Willmore's "Adobe Photoshop CC: The Complete Guide." If you purchase the class, you can download it all in HD and go through it at your leisure. You get a pdf handbooks to go along with the 20 lessons.

He has a similar class for Lightroom. These were both recorded during 2016, so are very current. Ben's really the best!!!

Mar 20, 2017 at 01:02 AM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Book for learning Photoshop - recommendations needed

JJBub wrote:
IMO, the best way to learn Photoshop is from Ben Willmore.

Another vote for Ben Wilmore. He also has his own site now for video instruction, called Masters Academy.

Mar 20, 2017 at 03:25 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Book for learning Photoshop - recommendations needed

Best online if you want to pay: https://www.lynda.com/search?q=photoshop&f=producttypeid%3a2

Best online if you want it for free from Adobe: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/tutorials.html

Mar 20, 2017 at 05:33 AM
hokiejokey

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Book for learning Photoshop - recommendations needed

JJBub wrote:
IMO, the best way to learn Photoshop is from Ben Willmore. He is a master of putting things into a logical progression and is a wonderful teacher. Check out creativelive.com and search for Ben Willmore's "Adobe Photoshop CC: The Complete Guide." If you purchase the class, you can download it all in HD and go through it at your leisure. You get a pdf handbooks to go along with the 20 lessons.

He has a similar class for Lightroom. These were both recorded during 2016, so are very current. Ben's really the best!!!

Is there anything specifically for Photoshop Elements? I don't have CC.

Mar 20, 2017 at 01:38 PM
walts.photo
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Book for learning Photoshop - recommendations needed

Another vote for Ben Willmore, but with a caveat. He's good, concise, and does not tend to repeat himself. So, a beginner watching him for the first time won't catch everything he says. Maybe I'm a little slow, but I benefited most from watching him twice and a third time.

Julieanne Kost is also very good, concise, and easy to understand. Her short soundbite instructions are great - nice clear female voice.

I'd save Aaron Nace and Lindsay Adler for later, since they are more specialized. Aaron for creative stuff like compositing and Lindsay for portrait retouching.

Mar 20, 2017 at 02:16 PM
JJBub
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Book for learning Photoshop - recommendations needed

hokiejokey wrote:
Is there anything specifically for Photoshop Elements? I don't have CC.

I don't believe Ben deals with Elements. I have never used Elements myself so have never checked for tutorials.

Mar 21, 2017 at 05:11 AM
JJBub
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Book for learning Photoshop - recommendations needed

walts.photo wrote:
Another vote for Ben Willmore, but with a caveat. He's good, concise, and does not tend to repeat himself. So, a beginner watching him for the first time won't catch everything he says. Maybe I'm a little slow, but I benefited most from watching him twice and a third time.

Julieanne Kost is also very good, concise, and easy to understand. Her short soundbite instructions are great - nice clear female voice.

I'd save Aaron Nace and Lindsay Adler for later, since they are more specialized. Aaron for creative stuff like compositing and Lindsay for portrait retouching.

----------

I agree. Ben knows so much that it can get overwhelming. But that's why I like the Creative Live classes. Once you purchase it (and believe me, it's worth purchasing), you download it and you own it. You can watch it as many times as you want, over and over and over. I run the video on one machine and stop and "rewind" a lot while practicing the skills on another machine. Another reason I like Ben is that he doesn't just give you a "recipe," he explains why to do something, so you can think it through.

I like Julieanne too. Probably the best "free" tutorials I've seen.

I am not familiar with the other two names.

Mar 21, 2017 at 05:17 AM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Book for learning Photoshop - recommendations needed

JJBub wrote:
I am not familiar with the other two names.

Aaron Nace and Lindsey Adler both have been on Creatlive quite a bit. You'll find several programs for each of them. In addition, Aaron Nace is the founder of Phlearn.com, and usually publishes a free video tutorial a week on the Phlearn site.

Mar 21, 2017 at 03:53 PM
pjbishop
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Book for learning Photoshop - recommendations needed

Another vote for Martin Evening's 'Photoshop X for Photographers' for learning Photoshop.
As for Elements, your best bet may be David's Pogue's Missing Manual series - look up Photoshop Elements X - the Missing Manual.

Mar 23, 2017 at 01:07 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password