FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Online backup sites?

Matt.Dieterich
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Online backup sites?

Hi folks,

I want to find a site that lets me backup my large external harddrives online, I'm talking >10 tb in size. I want a site like Dropbox that lets me drag and drop entire folders for backup, but of course Dropbox has a limit.

I just found out about Amazon Drive. It seems like Dropbox with unlimited storage for only 60$ a year. Does anyone have experience with this service? I want to be able to access all my data with this online backup like I do with Dropbox.

Anyone have other suggestions?

Thanks,

Matt

Feb 14, 2017 at 06:10 PM
jlafferty
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Online backup sites?

Crashplan and Backblaze are the two I hear of most often. Thought I'd heard Amazon was shutting their service down soon? I have a friend using both CP and BB and he says BB is significantly faster at uploads.

Feb 15, 2017 at 12:30 AM
mikejl29
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Online backup sites?

I've been with CrashPlan for six months now trying to do my initial seed, and they cap the uploads at 3.5-4MBs. At this rate it's going to take 9 months to a year just to get through my initial 6TB upload.

Feb 15, 2017 at 01:42 PM
barry685

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Online backup sites?

I am using Amazon Drive but I don't use software to Synch my computers like dropbox. If I delete a file locally I do not want it deleted from Amazon. I use SyncbackPro in Backup mode.

Feb 15, 2017 at 01:54 PM
Matt.Dieterich
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Online backup sites?

mikejl29 wrote:
I've been with CrashPlan for six months now trying to do my initial seed, and they cap the uploads at 3.5-4MBs. At this rate it's going to take 9 months to a year just to get through my initial 6TB upload.

Ouch 9 months to upload a harddrive! That's definitely not the route I would like to take. Hopefully there is another, faster, option.

Feb 15, 2017 at 06:15 PM
jlafferty
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Online backup sites?

CP - I think - offers the option to have you ship them a drive that serves as your initial seed.

Feb 15, 2017 at 11:39 PM
barry685

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Online backup sites?

i have been using Amazon Drive for about 4 months and have uploaded over 8tb. you can also upload from as many computers that you want. all for 59.99 a year.

Feb 16, 2017 at 06:53 AM
EA6B
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Online backup sites?

iDrive is worth taking a look at.

Feb 16, 2017 at 10:09 AM
Matt.Dieterich
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Online backup sites?

barry685 wrote:
i have been using Amazon Drive for about 4 months and have uploaded over 8tb. you can also upload from as many computers that you want. all for 59.99 a year.

Glad to hear you've been having success with Amazon Drive Barry. My buddy mentioned something about his files won't upload fast with Amazon Drive, have you noticed this? Any issues so far with it?

Feb 16, 2017 at 06:12 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Online backup sites?

I'm on Backblaze. Took me about a month to backup 12 TB across a couple hard drives. It's not drag-and-dopr like dropbox though. If you want a file you have to "restore it" similar to Apple's time machine.

Feb 16, 2017 at 06:34 PM
barry685

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Online backup sites?

Uploading is slow, but I don't have a basis for comparison regarding different upload speeds from different backup companies. I did try Crashplan before Amazon and it worked fine, but I opted for Amazon because I am uploading data from 4 computers with no difference in price.

The Amazon supplied software is crude, however there are several 3rd party backup programs that are much more efficient than what Amazon provides.

I use Syncbackpro.
https://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/sbpro.html

There is also Goodsync:
http://www.siber.com/consumer/goodsync

and Arq:
https://www.arqbackup.com/

Regarding Backblaze, I did not want to use it because It is for synchronizing data. In other words If you delete a file locally Backblaze will delete it on its server as well (I think after 30 days). Crashplan on the other hand has a setting where you can tell it to never delete what it backs up.

Feb 17, 2017 at 08:44 AM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Online backup sites?

Backblaze is a good simple backup, but you need to select that you want external drives to be backed up, and you have to plug them into the computer at least once every 30 days or Backblaze assumes that the drive is gone and deletes their backup of it.

Feb 17, 2017 at 12:14 PM
markd61
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Online backup sites?

I just started with Backblaze.
I uploaded 4TB of my active drives and it took 12 days.

I believe you can send them a hard drive to upload large amounts of data easily.

I backup my active files to two mirrored drives. One is then backed up to Backblaze.
When I fill up the active drives I take one home and use the other at the studio as an archive.

This allows me to have onsite and offsite duplicates of all my drives with my Backblaze BU as my offsite for the active drives files.

Feb 17, 2017 at 11:02 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Online backup sites?

one thing to look for in the agreement is weather they have access to your images to do with as they like. I remember back several hosting sites were going thru the images on their site and posting them for their own benefit.

Feb 18, 2017 at 03:56 PM
Matt.Dieterich
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Online backup sites?

barry685 wrote:
Uploading is slow, but I don't have a basis for comparison regarding different upload speeds from different backup companies. I did try Crashplan before Amazon and it worked fine, but I opted for Amazon because I am uploading data from 4 computers with no difference in price.

The Amazon supplied software is crude, however there are several 3rd party backup programs that are much more efficient than what Amazon provides.

I use Syncbackpro.
https://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/sbpro.html

There is also Goodsync:
http://www.siber.com/consumer/goodsync

and Arq:
https://www.arqbackup.com/

Regarding Backblaze, I did not want to use it because It is for synchronizing data. In other words If you delete a file locally Backblaze will
...Show more

Sounds great Barry thank you for the advice. I will look into Amazon Drive and the Syncback. I just want to drag and drop my harddrive files to the online backup site.

Feb 19, 2017 at 12:14 PM
Matt.Dieterich
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Online backup sites?

Michael White wrote:
one thing to look for in the agreement is weather they have access to your images to do with as they like. I remember back several hosting sites were going thru the images on their site and posting them for their own benefit.

Thanks for the heads up Michael. Seems like this is more difficult than I thought to find a quick and easy site for backup hah. I just want the online backup to act like my external HDs, drag and drop and access whenever I need.

Feb 19, 2017 at 12:19 PM
barry685

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Online backup sites?

Matt
If all you want to do is drag and drop the Amazon Software is fine.

Feb 19, 2017 at 06:55 PM
Matt.Dieterich
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Online backup sites?

barry685 wrote:
Matt
If all you want to do is drag and drop the Amazon Software is fine.

Perfect Barry, I will go ahead and checkout the trial for Amazon.

Feb 20, 2017 at 12:34 AM
simonedf
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Online backup sites?

I've been using Backblaze for a year now and I like it.
The only problems are:
- you need to connect external hard drives at least once every 30 days to avoid having that backup deleted
- no support for NAS (I believe CrashPlan do support NAS)

Apr 06, 2017 at 07:25 AM
AvianScott
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Online backup sites?

One advantage of CrashPlan is the ability to backup to an offsite drive as well as to the cloud. With their app installed on my home computer as well as my work computer, I can backup to my drive at work as well as to their cloud storage. I basically get two backups at once for no extra cost (other than the cost of my external drive I keep at my office). This also gives me peace of mind while I'm waiting for the initial seed to their cloud to finish.

Apr 06, 2017 at 08:44 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.