1       2       3              33      
       35              44       45       end

Olympus E-M1 Mark II image thread

kimknapp
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.34 #1 · p.34 #1 · Olympus E-M1 Mark II image thread

Birdied,
Thanks. I don't seem to have quite as extreme a problem, but I do find that, if I want critically focussed shots, I have to manually focus. SAF can get critically sharp shots, but rarely are my CAF shots super sharp. That's why I asked.
I have the same issue with my Sigma 150-600 Sport, on my A7Rii, but not with native lenses.

Since I do get critically sharp shots with SAF and MF, I have a hard time believing it is my technique, but I am keeping an open mind.

It seems like the cameras are constantly refocusing (which, of course, they are) but not doing a final 'fine tuning' when the shutter opens. I believe I have read that they will go back and forth, just out of focus in front of and behind the subject, and use that information to set the focus at the midpoint at shot time. But, it seems like, in CAF mode, they are not going to the midpoint when the shutter opens.
Sorry for the assumptions, just trying to get a handle on this.

Kim

Jul 17, 2017 at 11:47 AM
k-h.a.w
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.34 #2 · p.34 #2 · Olympus E-M1 Mark II image thread

C-AF tr is useless on my E-M1 Mark II. It seems to work on my A9 sort of.
I have the impression C-AF is working well though.
For stationary subjects S-AF seems to work better than C-AF.
My 2 cents.

K-H.

Jul 17, 2017 at 12:41 PM
kimknapp
• •
p.34 #3 · p.34 #3 · Olympus E-M1 Mark II image thread

K-H,

My impressions, too. C-AF isn't bad, just not as good as S-AF or MF. Definitely better than my Sigma/Sony combo in C-AF (which are tack-sharp in S-AF, by the way), though.
Kim

Jul 17, 2017 at 01:42 PM
kimknapp
• •
p.34 #4 · p.34 #4 · Olympus E-M1 Mark II image thread

I was going to do some comparison testing with the various focus and shutter modes using the Snowy Egrets I see (and often photograph) at the inlet at the end of our beach. They make good subjects because they stay in one area looking for little fish.
Wouldn't you know, this is the first time, ever, I did not see any Egrets down there. Must be too easy for the birds to read my mind...

Jul 17, 2017 at 01:47 PM
hoodlum90
• •
p.34 #5 · p.34 #5 · Olympus E-M1 Mark II image thread

MedicineMan404 wrote:
^Hoodlum, great shots. I would just like to see the Indigo Bunting much less a capture! Well done.

Thanks. I've seen them around a few times over the past couple of years but this is the first time I got close enough with good lighting to get a shot.

Jul 17, 2017 at 02:10 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.34 #6 · p.34 #6 · Olympus E-M1 Mark II image thread

What I am finding that works best for me so far are the following:

Single point C/AF especially when lots of foreground or close background to the subject. Also, seems to help if not a lot of contrast between subject and surroundings . For small subjects like the bees , I find 5 point or 9 point C-AF not working that well. The point the camera selects may be the wing and not the eye. Since my shooting distance with these small things is fairly close to minimum focusing distance, the depth of field is small. Therefore if the camera grabs anything but the eye, the focus can be off .

Sequential Low Shutter, for anything with fast wing movement , bees, hummingbirds

IS -Auto

Custom Menu A1 AEL/AFL. S3/C3/M3. This gives me the "back button auto focus". You will need to reprogram another button to be the AEL/AFL .

C1. Release Priotity S Off

C1. Release Priority C Off. This was suggested by K-H. I see no difference between off or on.

I have separated the focus from the shutter . I reprogrammed one of the buttons to act as the shutter release. I use this for all auto focus modes including single. I used back button auto focus on all my prior cameras and prefer it. If you have not tried it , you should give it a go.

You can reprogram several of the buttons to be the AEL/AFL and thus use the button of your choosing to engage auto focus.

What I am a bit unclear about is how exposure works with this setup- is it still half press of the shutter button?

Everyone is different and has their own preferred shooting options. I am appreciating how nice it is to be able to program this camera to your liking.

Birdie

Edited on Jul 17, 2017 at 02:56 PM · View previous versions

Jul 17, 2017 at 02:52 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.34 #7 · p.34 #7 · Olympus E-M1 Mark II image thread

kimknapp wrote:
Tony,
I agree, although I have had good luck cropping that much with my A7Rii.
Did you use mechanical shutter or electronic shutter with the Heron shot you posted? Also, CAF? (most likely, but I don't want to assume anything).

Does anyone know if SAF refocuses between shots, when using multiple shot mode?

Kim

Kim,

Can't remember which shutter option I used on the Heron. I use silent shutter most of the time unless I think there will be rolling shutter effect:

On the E-M1, the electronic shutter actually takes about 1/15 of a second to expose the whole sensor, scanning from edge to another (I don't know which edges - top to bottom??).

Any part of the sensor can be exposed for a much shorter time, according to the shutter speed you have set, but the overall exposure time is limited to 1/15 of a second. This limit is due to the sensor design.

See also http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4002626

For action photgraphy, it is better to use the mechanical shutter.

Yes, I use CAF for any moving subjects. In SAF the focus should stay locked as long as the shutter button is kept depressed all the way.

Jul 17, 2017 at 02:52 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.34 #8 · p.34 #8 · Olympus E-M1 Mark II image thread

MedicineMan404 wrote:
OK Birdie a favor please.
Can you list the signs/symptoms you were experiencing...a check off list if you will.
I'll print it off and hand it to Poof.

1. Confirmed green dot in view finder, but shot out of focus

2. Confirmed focus green square in replay, but shot out of focus . Or just the opposite, no green focus square in replay, but shot in focus, I posted a few examples in the image thread.

3. Camera would feel hot, not warm

4. Could not get critical focus in shots using C-AF. If I manually focused could get critical focus.

5. Very hard time acquiring focus even on still subjects. Camera very slow to focus no matter subject or subject distance. Happened on all lens.

6. Extremely short battery life. I have 3 batteries and all exhibited really short time, maybe 3 or 4 hours .

7. Sometimes would reprogram buttons and they would not function as reprogrammed. Would have to reset them to how they were originally.

When I first purchased the camera, I only purchased the 60mm macro lens. Since I manually focus most of the time with it, I did not notice the problems with focus.

It was not until I got the 300mm many weeks later , and tried using anything but manual focus , that I noticed the consistency of the focusing issues . When I posted some shots taken with the lens, several commented that they were not critically focused or very sharp.

Never having shot anything but NIkon prior to this, I had no reference point on how it should work. I was very reluctant to blame the camera . It wasn't until I got more familiar with the camera and the settings that I was willing to entertain the thought that it could be problems with the camera that were preventing me from getting the shots that I was able to do with my prior gear.

I finally called Olympus last week and they told me the camera should not be performing that way. However, they had me do a full reset and wanted me to shoot with it a few days and send them copies of the shots. I was too close to my time expiring to send it back. I am so glad I asked for return. The latest camera is not exhibiting the issues above. Are all my shots in critical focus now , no . However my keeper rate has gone up tremendously and I have far more keepers than deleted files now.

Birdie

Jul 17, 2017 at 03:35 PM
DanC.Licks
• •
p.34 #9 · p.34 #9 · Olympus E-M1 Mark II image thread

Sounds like a lemon to me...
Good you exchanged it.

Jul 17, 2017 at 04:19 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.34 #10 · p.34 #10 · Olympus E-M1 Mark II image thread

A couple of abstract images with the 300/4 PRO + MC-14.

E-M1MarkII    M.300mm F4.0 + MC-14 lens    420mm    f/18.0    1/8s    64 ISO    0.0 EV  

E-M1MarkII    M.300mm F4.0 + MC-14 lens    420mm    f/18.0    1/8s    64 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Jul 18, 2017 at 06:44 PM · View previous versions

Jul 17, 2017 at 04:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

birdied
• • • • • • •
p.34 #11 · p.34 #11 · Olympus E-M1 Mark II image thread

Bobby, those are lovely.

Birdie

Jul 17, 2017 at 05:42 PM
neilvan
• • •
p.34 #12 · p.34 #12 · Olympus E-M1 Mark II image thread

40-150P

Jul 17, 2017 at 06:17 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.34 #13 · p.34 #13 · Olympus E-M1 Mark II image thread

Thanks Birdie! I was trying to shoot the Orange Bishop again, but I saw only 1 of them and I couldn't get a close-enough shot - so I had nothing else to shoot but these damn reeds!

birdied wrote:
Bobby, those are lovely.

Birdie

Jul 17, 2017 at 06:43 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.34 #14 · p.34 #14 · Olympus E-M1 Mark II image thread

bobbytan wrote:
Thanks Birdie! I was trying to shoot the Orange Bishop again, but I saw only 1 of them and I couldn't get a close-enough shot - so I had nothing else to shoot but these damn reeds!

Was the first one a vertical panning shot?

Birdie

Jul 17, 2017 at 08:55 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.34 #15 · p.34 #15 · Olympus E-M1 Mark II image thread

They are both vertical pans.

birdied wrote:
Was the first one a vertical panning shot?

Birdie

Jul 17, 2017 at 09:14 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.34 #16 · p.34 #16 · Olympus E-M1 Mark II image thread

One more ....

E-M1MarkII    M.300mm F4.0 + MC-14 lens    420mm    f/8.0    1/15s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Jul 18, 2017 at 06:45 PM · View previous versions

Jul 17, 2017 at 10:24 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.34 #17 · p.34 #17 · Olympus E-M1 Mark II image thread

bobbytan wrote:
One more ....

Another nice one Bobby. Vertical panning is not easy to determine the right shutter speed and upward motion to get nice shots like these.

Birdie

Jul 17, 2017 at 10:52 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.34 #18 · p.34 #18 · Olympus E-M1 Mark II image thread

A couple more hummers .

I really am having fun again , beginning to feel one again with the camera.

Birdie

E-M1MarkII    150mm    f/3.2    1/800s    200 ISO    +0.3 EV  

E-M1MarkII    OLYMPUS M.40-150mm F2.8 lens    150mm    f/3.2    1/1000s    250 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Jul 17, 2017 at 10:53 PM
k-h.a.w
• • •
p.34 #19 · p.34 #19 · Olympus E-M1 Mark II image thread

Birdie, that's good to hear. Great images, as usual. Thanks, K-H.

Jul 17, 2017 at 10:59 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.34 #20 · p.34 #20 · Olympus E-M1 Mark II image thread

Both images are great, and sharp, but the first one is very different in a good way and I love the composition.

birdied wrote:
A couple more hummers .

I really am having fun again , beginning to feel one again with the camera.

Birdie

Jul 17, 2017 at 11:59 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password