FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

My favorite Winter Jacket for shooting

mike reid
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · My favorite Winter Jacket for shooting

This worked well for me in Nepal last Feb. Very cozy and huge inner pockets to tuck a camera into. Arcteryx Firebee

iPhone 6 Plus    iPhone 6 Plus back camera 4.15mm f/2.2 lens    4mm    f/2.2    1/3968s    32 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 14, 2017 at 12:20 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · My favorite Winter Jacket for shooting

I had Zippo hand warmers way back when. IIRC, the catalyst was pretty fragile and needed frequent replacement. Now I use the chemical packs.

Nov 14, 2017 at 10:50 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · My favorite Winter Jacket for shooting

My new jacket will arrive tomorrow. I sure hope it will keep me warm. The folks at Back Country tell me it will. January and polar vortexes will be the test.

Nov 14, 2017 at 11:20 PM
kosin
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · My favorite Winter Jacket for shooting

runamuck wrote:
I had Zippo hand warmers way back when. IIRC, the catalyst was pretty fragile and needed frequent replacement. Now I use the chemical packs.

You should give these a try - USB hand warmers

Nov 15, 2017 at 03:46 AM
Colin F
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · My favorite Winter Jacket for shooting

On the subject of keeping warm, I thought I'd chime in on a recent purchase. I was sitting in my blind a couple weeks ago during a bit of a cold-snap, and in spite of wearing two pairs of socks, my toes were freezing, so the next day went and bought a pair of Sorel Blizzard XT boots; used 'em that afternoon and simply could not believe how warm my feet remained. Should have got them years ago.

Nov 15, 2017 at 02:19 PM
kosin
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · My favorite Winter Jacket for shooting

Colin F wrote:
On the subject of keeping warm, I thought I'd chime in on a recent purchase. I was sitting in my blind a couple weeks ago during a bit of a cold-snap, and in spite of wearing two pairs of socks, my toes were freezing, so the next day went and bought a pair of Sorel Blizzard XT boots; used 'em that afternoon and simply could not believe how warm my feet remained. Should have got them years ago.

I have similar boots but when standing on the frozen ground for several hours my feet get cold as well. This is why I'm thinking of getting these heated insoles: http://amzn.to/2hCHXTy - Does anyone have any experience with these? Can you feel the battery under your heal while walking/standing?
I would think this kind of insoles would be great when a prolonged standing on a cold surface is required: wildlife photography, hunting, ice fishing...

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

runamuck
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · My favorite Winter Jacket for shooting

I tested my new jacket in 29 degree weather. No problem in just a t shirt. My only nit is that they think I must have a svelte, trim little body with a very small tummy. There is a reason I wear XXL and that includes a belly. The jury is still out on this.

Nov 19, 2017 at 06:14 AM
RexGig0
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · My favorite Winter Jacket for shooting

I want to thank all those who have posted in this thread. With retirement from my present career being imminent, I will soon be more free to travel northward, from often-tropical SE Texas.

Nov 19, 2017 at 12:23 PM
rwolson

p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · My favorite Winter Jacket for shooting

Good afternoon,

I recently purchased the Thermacell Insoles because I see some good discounts plus I suffer from cold feet during winter photo shoots. I love the winter lighting on landscapes, but fun to keep the feet and hands warm.

I mistakenly ordered a large versus XL size. However, I inserted the large heated soles into my boots and frankly, hard pressed to feel the battery. The company placed some spongy foam over the battery which provides comfort. I've only just tested them Keen Summit Country Winter boots. Yes, after four hours standing in 6 degree temps on ice and 25 + mph winds my toes got cold. I suspect because I just got cold fighting the wind.

My hands, I use Venture Heat battery glove liners inside another light glove liner. I just upgraded my Heat 3 gloves to the layered system. They sell just an insulated shell and you add your own liners. My new Heat 3's I ordered a size 12 just for the extra room, The Heat 3 gloves to do help keep your fingers warm and you can work the camera buttons. The battery powered glove liners just take the chill away.

My main parka, a Marmot Greenland Baffled down coat. The coat's actually packable and stuffs into an internal pocket. IMO, before needing the coat unstuff it. The coat's too warm to wear above 20 F.

BTW, great thread! Thanks for the great updates.

Nov 19, 2017 at 05:26 PM
Steezus
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · My favorite Winter Jacket for shooting

Arcteryx is nice, but a total rip off. I am currently working as a snowmaker at a ski resort. You won't find a colder environment without heading to the poles. Standing in front of high pressure air and water directed in a little nozzle so you can check snow quality hundreds of times a night, you have to figure out what works.

We use North Face bibs and parka, then just layer starting with moisture wicking synthetics. The important thing I have always found is that the bibs, parka, and gloves are Gore Tex and if you are in wet weather, it needs to be treated with water proofing booster of your choice. Marmot has always been my go to brand for winter skiing. You can outfit yourself from head to toe with other brands like Marmot, NF, Mountain Hardware, etc, for the price of one Arcteryx parka.

Nov 19, 2017 at 08:50 PM
kosin
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · My favorite Winter Jacket for shooting

rwolson wrote:
Good afternoon,

I recently purchased the Thermacell Insoles because I see some good discounts plus I suffer from cold feet during winter photo shoots. I love the winter lighting on landscapes, but fun to keep the feet and hands warm.

I mistakenly ordered a large versus XL size. However, I inserted the large heated soles into my boots and frankly, hard pressed to feel the battery. The company placed some spongy foam over the battery which provides comfort. I've only just tested them Keen Summit Country Winter boots. Yes, after four hours standing in 6 degree temps on ice and 25
...Show more

Thanks for the info! I also received several answers on Amazon that battery is well hidden and cannot be felt. Great news. I will wait until Black Friday in hopes for some discounts

Staying with the warm feet topic which mostly is directed to those standing/waiting for prolonged time in cold temperatures, just got a tip from a photographer, that often photographs wildlife in Yellowstone and Churchill, on how he keeps his feet warm. He swears by the following combo: Smartwool Hunt Extra Heavy Crew Socks: http://amzn.to/2B2l7cN paired with thin liner socks like these: http://amzn.to/2zUiifw for moisture wicking. I already placed an order Even in the warmest boots, like Baffin's: http://amzn.to/2ixM1lc inappropriate socks will get your feet cold quickly. I learnt the hard way so many times even with temperatures at 20F...

Nov 20, 2017 at 12:10 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password