FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2016 · 85art » your experience?

LeeSimms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 85art » your experience?

Hovering over the BuyNow button to try one. Looks more magical and less clinical than the other Arts.

h ttps://www.dpreview.com/news/5149714467/it-s-finally-here-sigma-85mm-f1-4-dg-hsm-art-sample-gallery

How's yours?

Nov 18, 2016 at 12:52 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 85art » your experience?

Being a Sigma whore, I really cannot wait to try one. I have been using the old Sigma 85 since 3 days before it launched, and I have never looked back. I am not convinced it is worth the upgrade, but we will see.

Nov 18, 2016 at 01:29 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 85art » your experience?

This guy got one, hopefully he takes some photos soon and shares them.

Nov 18, 2016 at 01:46 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 85art » your experience?

Only a few out in the wild atm; there is a thread on the nikon forum. Otherwise we only really have lenstip's test which is extremely impressive [otus beating in sharpness].

Nov 19, 2016 at 10:57 AM
pjbuehner
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 85art » your experience?

SLR Lounge 85 1.4 Art review

Nov 19, 2016 at 11:25 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 85art » your experience?

I am trying both the Tamron and the Sigma in the next few weeks, but ultimately this will have me wait on purchasing either ...

h ttp://www.canonrumors.com/canon-ef-85mm-f1-4l-is-usm-on-the-way-cr3/

I'll wager this replaces the 1.2 and the 1.8 at some point just goes away. With so few people buying DSLRs anymore, Canon might not want to spend the development dough for a 1.8. It would easy to surmise that pros buy heavy primes and non-pros buy super zooms. True, Nikon does have a wonderful set of 1.8's but they're not selling a ton of product right now either and are laying off staff. In the future, C and N might move away from developing new enthusiast primes and allow Tamron and Sigma to take all that (small) market.

Markets change. Who would've ever thought Apple would completely stop selling a stand-alone monitor?

Nov 20, 2016 at 11:03 AM
level1photog
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 85art » your experience?

For me, I'm getting the Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art now. I don't know late in 2017 the Canon 85 1.4 would be released and cost. If the Canon 85 1.4 IS is worth it, I can sell it at a lost and make enough money from it.
LeeSimms wrote
I am trying both the Tamron and the Sigma in the next few weeks, but ultimately this will have me wait on purchasing either ...

I'll wager this replaces the 1.2 and the 1.8 at some point just goes away. With so few people buying DSLRs anymore, Canon might not want to spend the development dough for a 1.8. It would easy to surmise that pros buy heavy primes and non-pros buy super zooms. True, Nikon does have a wonderful set of 1.8's but they're not selling a ton of product right now either and are laying off staff. In
...Show more

Nov 20, 2016 at 04:33 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 85art » your experience?

I'm torn and have the same thoughts — more about the Tamron. With IS, we'd use it a lot for video.

Nov 21, 2016 at 11:04 AM
Holger
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 85art » your experience?

LeeSimms wrote:

I'll wager this replaces the 1.2 and the 1.8 at some point just goes away. With so few people buying DSLRs anymore, Canon might not want to spend the development dough for a 1.8. It would easy to surmise that pros buy heavy primes and non-pros buy super zooms. True, Nikon does have a wonderful set of 1.8's but they're not selling a ton of product right now either and are laying off staff. In
...Show more

DSLR sales may decrease, but MILC sales stay pretty flat, too. However, I can imagine Canon to just use DPAF and future improvements thereof without mirror in the near future and all their newer lenses will work just fine. Of course this will mean larger flange distances, but it would reduce costs for developing a completely new lens ecosystem.
The 1dxxx series may use a translucent flapping mirror to still get the full potential of long lenses. As a Nikon (and Sony) shooter, I would like Nikon to have similar technology for a possible transition to a mirrorless future.

Nov 21, 2016 at 11:50 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 85art » your experience?

Holger wrote:
DSLR sales may decrease, but MILC sales stay pretty flat, too. However, I can imagine Canon to just use DPAF and future improvements thereof without mirror in the near future and all their newer lenses will work just fine. Of course this will mean larger flange distances, but it would reduce costs for developing a completely new lens ecosystem.
The 1dxxx series may use a translucent flapping mirror to still get the full potential of long lenses. As a Nikon (and Sony) shooter, I would like Nikon to have similar technology for a possible transition to a mirrorless future.

I think Nikon are a very long way off. They can't even get their DL series (1" sensor) cameras out the door!

Nov 21, 2016 at 12:14 PM
Visceral Image
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 85art » your experience?

Mine came in this afternoon. I have a shoot tomorrow and a wedding on Saturday. My copy was dialed in out of the box on the 5D4 and was nailing focus at f/1.4 at a variety of focusing distances, more so than my 50 Art does to this day. My 50 Art is about a 80% hit rate when the subject is within the normal working distances. It's almost useless at the infinity area...but then again, I don't use the lens for that.

Anyway, the 85A shows very obvious purple fringing still, but nothing worse than any other 85 on the market and absolutely better than both options from Canon. It's well controlled. While the Canon will create a GLOW of purple around contrasting edges, the Sigma will just have a thin line. Nice to see, easy to clean, and a big step forward from other 85s.

Bokeh appears to be exceptional and smooth - even when it's potentially busy. The cat eye bokeh balls creep a little far into the frame, unfortunately, and are around the same consistency as the 135L in this regard.

Snapped some portraits of my dog and girlfriend today when we took him to the dog park to test the AF out and run the little guy out of energy. It tracked a running dog toward me at 1.4 in servo very nicely worked great at 2.8, nailed in one-shot mode every time at 1.4, and melted away backgrounds into a gooey green mess of foliage.

I'm 100% certain in saying this is the best 85 on the market now and a worthy improvement over the outgoing Sigma model while destroying anything Canon makes from a technical perspective. The subjective opinion on which lens offers a better aesthetic will go on for years now, but I'll take my controlled purple fringe, faster AF, and lens design that won't break as you put it away in your bag any day.

Happy customer. Samples to follow.

Nov 21, 2016 at 05:11 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 85art » your experience?

Many thanks for the review.

Slightly disappointing about the fringing but only because the 50mm is startling good at this, it does seem to be an issue for fast 85mm. Did you look at flare performance in similar scenarios? The 50mm retains amazing contrast and defined edges for things like foliage etc. against the sky at wide apertures rather than them becoming mushy and indistinct.

Nov 21, 2016 at 06:34 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 85art » your experience?

THANKS

Nov 21, 2016 at 07:25 PM
Visceral Image
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 85art » your experience?

Edited on Nov 22, 2016 at 05:27 PM · View previous versions

Nov 21, 2016 at 09:44 PM
Visceral Image
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 85art » your experience?

I'd like to be very clear about the comments I made in regards to purple fringing. I realize this is a forum, so I feel I should make it a little more clear.

The fringing I'm seeing in this lens is the best there is. You're never going to get rid of it in any lens, and apparently the 85mm focal length is especially hard, or so I've read.

I photographed a white dog in direct sunlight and I could barely distinguish any...my dog would be purple with my Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM. haha

Nov 21, 2016 at 09:51 PM
g-money
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 85art » your experience?

My sigma V1 copy is terrible in trying to focus with a strong back lighting. It will grab focus, but seems to just slightly miss true focus. Have you had had a chance to try this one in that environment,

Nov 22, 2016 at 12:24 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 85art » your experience?

Am I the only one that can only see the dog pics at 180x120px?

Nov 22, 2016 at 07:05 AM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 85art » your experience?

Mark_L wrote:
Am I the only one that can only see the dog pics at 180x120px?

No.

Nov 22, 2016 at 07:11 AM
Visceral Image
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 85art » your experience?

Hmmm, I'll try to fix that, guys.

Nov 22, 2016 at 05:22 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 85art » your experience?

Lots of pop, smooth bokeh, and no obvious CA. Hmmm.

Nov 22, 2016 at 06:39 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.